Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Southampton (H).. pre match thread

Need a reaction. None of those who started today should be involved if possible, which means recalling Barnes

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Mendy

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Gray

If we can't get Barnes back yet, Maddison up there and one of Silva or Iborra in the middle

11 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Need a reaction. None of those who started today should be involved if possible, which means recalling Barnes

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Mendy

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Gray

If we can't get Barnes back yet, Maddison up there and one of Silva or Iborra in the middle

Silva and Iborra won't play for us again I dont reckon. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo  Evans  Maguire  Chilwell

Nididi

Mendy                  Hamza

Ghezzal           Maddison

Vardeh

• Like 1

A team we've struggled to break down in recent times. The away win was jammy, as was the win the cup. We drew a blank with these guys at home last season too.

It's got 0-0 written all over it for me as of writing. But I'm hoping Harvey Barnes will be back and something like that MIGHT make the difference. Maybe not necessarily the player himself, but someone who is prepared to run at players can get the crowd up and could get us through it.

Games like this are the ones we always struggle in. Until we have better attacking options we will continue to do so. I do think we will solve it eventually as the squad evolves into a more technical one, but it can be frustrating in the mean time!

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

4-3-3

Schmeichel

Ricardo.

Maguire

Evans

Chillwell

Mendy

Ndidi

Hamza

Albrighton (Recall Barnes. Bring on 50mins).

Vardy

Maddison

I think this is by far and away our best and most robust formation for now. We should preserve with it. The three center mids will allow our attacking fullbacks licence to bomb up and feed Vardy/madders.

Enough chopping and changing - stick with it Claude.

• Like 3

Schmeichel

Pereira - Morgan - Maguire - Chilwell

Mendy - Maddison - Choudhury

Albrighton - Vardy - Gray*

It'll be fvcking brilliant to have the energy and pace of Pereira and Chilwell back in the side. Not to mention a better striker at the helm leading the line. Choudhury needs to play - despite today he's clearly playing with confidence and is settled in the side. I expect/hope for him to be a regular in the side now. 

*if Barnes is available and recalled in time, I'd chuck him in. Can't be any worse than Gray and although it's the Championship, he clearly knows where the goal is and Southampton seems a good enough opponent to test him against and get him involved. 

The other option is to have Simpson in at RB, put Albrighton on the left and shift Pereira all the way up on the right side to attack at will. 

We need to get today's result out of our heads and best way to do that is to get 3 points on Saturday. Not bothered if it's another 1-0, a win is a win and 3 points is all that matters to keep us in 7th instead of having more confidence taken out of us by dropping down the table. Sounds encouraging that Southampton may not even have a striker to play but that may then encourage them to play a bit more defensively. One player we have to watch out for is Nathan Redmond - he seems to have found a new lease of life under the new manager.

32 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

They won't, but we're short CMs/forwards otherwise

We are, but I'm sure Puel would not allow both Silva and Iborra to leave in this window if we didn't have a replacement lined up

15 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It's actually frightening that we seem to see James as 4th choice 

Baffling. The player he was 4 years ago? Sure, but he's been out injured for, what, 38 of the 44 months since his injury. He's obviously not returning to that level at this point and isn't reliable to be fit. Who ever offered him a new 4 year contract needs to give their head a wobble

2 hours ago, kingfox said:

Just go 4-3-3, 3 wins from 3 by playing that formation.

Schmeichel

Ricardo - Morgan - Maguire - Chilwell

Choudhury

Ndidi - Barnes/Maddison

Albrighton - Vardy - Maddison/Gray

3 wins from 3 using 4-3-3? Are we just gunna forget about the spurs game then?

Also, 60 mins of the Man City game was played in 4-2-3-1.

• Like 2

This will be a tougher proposition than it would have been a few weeks ago under Hughes. The new manager seems to have done what new managers often do and tightened things up. If they come for a 0-0 it won't suit us, if they come and take us on there should be a more open game which can.

If the argument for the cup line up was to rest players for the league, the next league game in particular, then they'd better not do anything other than win but things are rarely that logical for us.

Despite the Everton win there will be some anger and tension amongst us it could be a pivotal day in our season considering the league is all we have to focus on now (sound of a grown man tearing foil replica trophy).