Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Southampton (H).. pre match thread

4 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Saints need a win, and unlikely to park the bus like they did against Chelsea. 3 points to Puel. 

Just because they need a win, doesn’t mean they’re going to play right into our hands. It’s plainly obvious how to get a result against us. 

Schmeichel..

Simpson

Evans

Maguire

Chilwell

Ndidi

Mendy

Choudry

Pereira

Maddison

Vardy

I want to see Periera sort of do a roaming/water carrier  job,so Have our best defending RB play..Simpson,then when  fit return to Amartey.

Bench:    Soyu..Albrighton..Gray..Ward...Ghezzal...Fuchs...(Young-striker from academy)

One could still slip James onto the Bench.Quite honestly we now know,not just from the Newport game,

That the above 11,at present is our best,and the best we can do....Nacho only becomes relevant if Vardy struggles with injury.!!!

Morgan now needs to take a backseat..plus it was his poor challenge that led to Newports 1st goal,a sort of challenge that s always been his weakness!!

Though he was one of my top players this season, but now Maguire,Evans Soyu, have to be given the main responsibility....I

2 defenders on bench ,for home game is enough..

Even happy-clappers/positive fans,Like me need consoling..I am hurting,but also angry,frustrated, over the players,even if Puel was at fault,The Newport

Selection should have been strong enough,including Subs.

Gray-Maddison,this season just about have credit,but next season if a similar situation arises PL/cup they have to make a telling difference...

I really believed we had a decent and potential 1st 16-17 set of players ,this after 20+games has now been unfortunately proved as just wishful thinking...

Choudry,Soyuncu from outfield fringe/covering young players ,are the only strongish players we have, (deliberately not included players out on loan.).

Albrighton from the experienced is the only one I see is worth keeping,beyond the Summer. Fuchs is on his way,Simpson & Morgan did better than expected,and had a positive influence,but their time as come at the EOS to move on,from city's 1st team duties.

This January-window ,we desperately need a striker,even if its Championship or lower....Or Puel pulls one in from the Academy!!

Puel to be fair,in PL and cup,gave every single player  a chance to ,prove their future potential worth...From watching his touchline frustrations,

since Beginning of December,he hoped a few would stand up to be counted,I believe he himself has been so disappointed to see the individual

lack of quality in both his experienced and Potential young Guns...Maddison and defence an exception...But he had to give them a chance!!

IMO this season so far,only Pereira playing as a defensive or front 6 player has really stood out has the real positive Individual find. Maybe POS!!

Maddison contribution was expected,though still a relief he is realising his potential..Mendy also doing ok..

This Southampton game,will show what type of characters we still have left,to warrant a top 7 challenge....But 2-3 injuries Puel has no real back up,

does then the club,decide on these 26days take a chance and wait for the summer..!!!

Soton most likely on the way up, this should  be the game where the team mentioned above,

can give themselves,the club,the manager and we the fans a massive fillip,and needed uplift,prove they should be respected & recognised as a

worthy top 7, and put the shits up Manutd,and chase 6th!!!  

Though back to ground-level, trying to push out memories of yesterday,top 9 with this squad I will be happy,I need a good next-week...

Or cricket,and 6nations,become my priorities!!!

• Like 1

There's around a dozen different line ups on here so far. Nothing wrong in that as everyone has their thoughts and each of them are as relevant. But ... Puel can only put one team out and probably that means 11 of these will not be chosen. If we lose its when those 11 start whining that we'd of won if their team had been selected, with all their footballing wisdom and knowledge of fitness and injuries that problems occur and it gets quite toxic on here. In reality most won't whine and just be disappointed. 

For me, with the odd exception, if fit, the team and the bench almost pick themselves. Puel hasn't got too many to chose from and we're always at the moment going to be short of at least two influential players. This will hopefully be addressed in the summer. In the meantime let's just get behind them whoever is picked.

• Like 1

Honestly think we would be more clinical if we just binned 4231 off until we have the players capable of succeeding in that formation.

4312 to suit maddison.

Proven 442 suit vardy.

Puel needs to look at this him self and think right I've been here a year and a half I should know my best team to work for me and the best formation the players he's got to make it work.

If he doesn't know this then why is he the manager? Or a manager.

Edited by Fox85
  • Like 1

Frankly I want to see a positive reaction after yesterday's shambles.

I want a win but above all I would like to be entertained. Perhaps we could play with a bit more pace and intensity.

If Southampton want a result all they need to do is sit deep and score a goal on the break or from a set piece and they will get at least a point.

Reacting to bad results not only reveals a lot about the players but also much about the manager. Let's see if either are up for the game.

Every game for Puel is a big one, but he needs some home wins. More and more fans are turning on him and I can see it being quite toxic at games soon enough. Despite our league position.

433 will be too defensive if we play Hamza, Ndidi and Mendy but we struggle to make 4231 work. Its not going to happen but I would try the 343 formation Chelsea adopted a couple of years ago.

Back 3 of Morgan, Evans and Maguire

Ricardo, Hamza, Ndidi and Chilwell across the middle.

Front 3 of Ghezzal, Vardy and Maddison with Ghezzal and Maddison being narrow and interchanging.

Problem we have is whatever formation we try it always ends up being defensive. My attempt here will suddenly become 541.

I don't fully understand it when people say 433 with Wilf, papy and Hamza across the middle is too defensive. Those three would allow Chillwell, Ricky and the front three to be more attacking. Seems fairly balanced on paper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo Morgan/Evans Maguire Chilwell

Choudhury Ndidi Mendy

Albrighton Vardy Maddison

Wouldnt mind Gazelle getting a run out, his confidence may be better after getting that goal against lowly Newport. Doubt Southampton will pose too many threats, plus I think Albrighton needs a rest, He's been going flat out recently.

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I don't fully understand it when people say 433 with Wilf, papy and Hamza across the middle is too defensive. Those three would allow Chillwell, Ricky and the front three to be more attacking. Seems fairly balanced on paper. 

433 is good against teams like Man City and Chelsea, I mean we saw how that worked out right

2 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Wouldnt mind Gazelle getting a run out, his confidence may be better after getting that goal against lowly Newport. Doubt Southampton will pose too many threats, plus I think Albrighton needs a rest, He's been going flat out recently.

I wouldn't mind that either, but I think Albrighton works better on the right with Ricardo. Can't help but think Ghezzal's best position is in the middle. 

We are at home, hope Puel changes from his usual 2 holding midfielders. I would like to see Silva given a go, as think he has the ability to break down teams. 

Schmeichel

Perieria

Evans

Maguire

Chilwell

Albrighton

Silva

Ndidi

Gray

Maddison

Vardy

21 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

433 is good against teams like Man City and Chelsea, I mean we saw how that worked out right

That a what I'm saying though. I font see why it wouldn't work against lesser teams too. You have 5 attacking players on the pitch..... 

• Like 1

Schmeichel

Pereira Soyuncu Maguire Chilwell

Ndidi Mendy Choudhury

Albrighton Vardy Maddison

Bench: Ward, Evans, Knight, Simpson, Gray, Ghezzal, Barnes

Not at all happy with how Fuchs and Morgan completely failed to deal with the first goal yesterday, so I'd drop them. Bring back the usual FBs and let the younger CB pairing have a go, with Evans on the bench if required. Let one of the youngsters take a bench spot as well - Knight had a good December so deserves a shot (although unlikely to come on). Simpson on the bench so we can push Pereira forward if needed.

Midfield as per. Without Silva/Iborra we really need another option here (that isn't James, who isn't up to speed at all).

Forward line picks itself - Iheanacho not good enough and needs dropping completely to send a message to him. Likewise with Okazaki, who I think is finished in a Leicester shirt. Tempted to drop Albrighton but he was one of the hardest workers yesterday so gets the nod despite his moment of madness. Bring Barnes back and stick him on the bench with a view to giving him half an hour at the end alongside Vardy in a 2.

It will be interesting to see who he goes with at centre back. Morgan was actually playing quite well before his illness but looked rusty as hell again yesterday after missing a couple. We can't afford to give him a few games to get back up to speed. It seems like a good opportunity to phase Morgan out.

Evans and Maguire were excellent at Everton so I would go with them but it will probably be Morgan.