Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Southampton (H).. pre match thread

Please get the first goal, preferably in the first half. Makes such a difference to us. The longer it stays 0-0 or worse, the more toxic the atmosphere will become.

Morgan will be back with Maguire I'd imagine, I get the feeling he will go with Ghezzal instead of Maddison in the 10 position and he'll go with Hamza and Ndidi in the middle with Mendy dropping out. Just can't see him going with 3 in the middle at home against anyone but the big sides.

1-1 :( We'll concede just before half time (Shane Long worldie from 30 yards) then we'll get a scrappy equaliser late on.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

He's not behind them FFS

You may as well give up and accept it, the people have spoken and won't change their minds.

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

I suspect both sides would take a nil nil as well. 

Why would we be happy with 0 0?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Surely he has to go 4-3-3 its worked against better teams, try the fooker against weaker teams... we should have more control of the game at least.

It worked because we knew we'd have little possession, they spent most of the game defending, shielding and blocking. Lets me honest, we were crap at Everton and they are in awful form.

Any quick transition play came from the fact the other team had lots of the ball and the emphasis was on them to create, so they left space allowing it if play broke down. It's a completely different beast against teams who don't have much of the ball and don't want to be on the front foot and who aren't expected to be the ones forcing the issue.

If we want to break them down we need as many creative players on the pitch as possible. I don't buy the "it allows the fullbacks to attack more" we play two CDM's already for that very reason and our fullbacks are already up the pitch attacking most of the time anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Why would we be happy with 0 0?

Because recently we’ve started struggling against teams below us in the table, we are very short on goals, Puel loves a clean sheet and we recently lost to Newport. Best to just put that behind us. 

21 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I can't see anything than a loss here they'll know how to frustrate us and pick us off on the break with Shane Long scoring.

You can't see anything other than a loss? With Shane Long scoring? I'll have some of what you're smoking mate!

Full strength team back, most likely the team will want to respond to losing the last one whether they played in it or not, I can see us winning this one comfortably - nothing wrong with a bit of optimism now and then. :whistle:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It worked because we knew we'd have little possession, they spent most of the game defending, shielding and blocking. Lets me honest, we were crap at Everton and they are in awful form.

Any quick transition play came from the fact the other team had lots of the ball and the emphasis was on them to create, so they left space allowing it if play broke down. It's a completely different beast against teams who don't have much of the ball and don't want to be on the front foot and who aren't expected to be the ones forcing the issue.

If we want to break them down we need as many creative players on the pitch as possible. I don't buy the "it allows the fullbacks to attack more" we play two CDM's already for that very reason and our fullbacks are already up the pitch attacking most of the time anyway.

I know what your saying and agree we need as many creative players on the pitch esp with it being at home against a weaker opposition and them having a lot of players out.

I still feel that could be achieved with the 4-3-3 though, you could plug Albrighton Ghezzal or Maddison (preferably Silva) with the 2 holding DMs (Mendy, Choudaryy or Nididi) and then 3 attacking players at the top of it, with Ricardo and Chilwell providing further threats.

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Ok. You won’t. 

Ill take the nil nil if offered it, thanks. 

Ah thought you meant that the club would be satisfied with 0-0, didnt realise you meant you personally would be

This is a game we should be looking to win, a draw not the end of the world, but disappointing

It doesn't really matter what formation we play. The problem is our attacking players are either shite, ok or excellent. If 2 of them have good days we will be fine. 433/4231 would both work fine if we had consistent performers in the front 3 or 4.

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 2

On 07/01/2019 at 11:39, RowlattsFox said:

It will be interesting to see who he goes with at centre back. Morgan was actually playing quite well before his illness but looked rusty as hell again yesterday after missing a couple. We can't afford to give him a few games to get back up to speed. It seems like a good opportunity to phase Morgan out.

Evans and Maguire were excellent at Everton so I would go with them but it will probably be Morgan.

CB is hugely contested right now. Seems Maguire has settled in and either Morgan and Evans with play. Soyuncu may get a chance against smaller clubs but Morgan may step down this summer and I would like to see Benkovic more after he is recalled. Can't really see Evans staying long term despite the fact that he has been solid recently. But all of our defenders have been solid recently. Credit where Credits due, Puel deserves none? Leave that up to you

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

It doesn't really matter what formation we play. The problem is our attacking players our either shite, ok or excellent. If 2 of them have good days we will be fine. 433/4231 would both work fine if we had consistent performers in the front 3 or 4.

yea you are right both formations are pretty similar however having Vardy up top isolated which is what the 4-2-3-1 does imo holds us back slightly having 2 in support at all times would be the way to go

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

yea you are right both formations are pretty similar however having Vardy up top isolated which is what the 4-2-3-1 does imo holds us back slightly having 2 in support at all times would be the way to go

Does the 433 work any better though? in terms of Vardy getting support. I agree that Vardy being isolated is a massive problem, but theoretically the 4231 should give Vardy more support but Maddison tends to drop too deep and the wingers should be closer. 433 often becomes 451.

Wilf, Hamza and Papy has worked well but they all do the same job and I don't think we need them all there most games.

13 hours ago, norwichfox said:

Another depressing thread....do we now have the worst supporters in the Premier League?, or is it just on FT that most appear to be South of negative?

We're up there, both in terms of atmosphere (home & away) and entitlement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Put your mortgage on it.

Kasper

Ricardo     Morgan    Maguire     Chilwell

Ndidi          Mendy

Gray           Maddison          Albrighton

Vardy

Where’s Harvey?

Just now, AKCJ said:

Kasper

Ricardo     Evans     Maguire     Chilwell