Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Worst FA Cup Defeat?

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Wycombe was bad.

Yesterday annoys me though, especially when the theme all weekend has been "even the gulf between premier league reserves and the lower leagues is just too much" and we go and do that.... lol 

Also shocks are much rarer now... Fulham (pretty much no hopers right now) were the only other Prem team to lose this weekend (to lower league opposition).

I don't think we quite realise how bad yesterday was yet.

Cardiff lost to Gillingham and Huddersfield to Bristol City

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ultrafox said:

Whereas I understand the sentiments around the Harlow and Wycombe matches, we are a much bigger club now than we were back then. 

We weren't 7th in the Premier league at the time we played Harlow and Wycombe. ..and we didn't have a squad that included 3 England international players (4 if you include Vardy) as well as a host of other regular international players.

So Newport was by far the worst FA Cup defeat in my opinion!

I think I'm going cry again!

On that basis Millwall was worse. We were the reigning Champions of England and lost to a 10 man League 1 side

I was convinced we'd win the Cup in 2001, that defeat still hurts to this day. Might well've been youthful naivety but we could've capped six amazing years with another cup, the bigger of the two and even a top six finish (we had many winnable games towards the end of that season, especially at home).

23 hours ago, AjcW said:

Wycombe was bad.

Yesterday annoys me though, especially when the theme all weekend has been "even the gulf between premier league reserves and the lower leagues is just too much" and we go and do that.... lol 

Also shocks are much rarer now... Fulham (pretty much no hopers right now) were the only other Prem team to lose this weekend (to lower league opposition).

I don't think we quite realise how bad yesterday was yet.

I think the complete opposite.

Newport pisses me off alot. But it isn't in the same league as the Wycombe result.

FA Cup shocks back then were so big and so shocking because more often that not everyone put out a strong side.

Now, as much as the tv tries to hype it up, the pre match talk is about how this is a low league team vs a reserve side and the likes of Wigan beating Man City/Coventry beating Stoke last year and Newport or Barnet winning this year are really just seen as suprises but nothing major.

That's not to say i dont think we should give the cups everything. But let's not fall into this magic of the cup shit. The FA Cup lost its magic when football became more about the money than the trophies. Ironically enough our Wycombe result was just before that really. In the late 90s the FA Cup final was still a huge event and meant alot. By around 2004/2005 all that was lost and 4pm Sunday kick offs with two big London clubs was the norm. 

On 06/01/2019 at 20:02, Blue ROI said:

Wycombe was the worst defeat of the modern era for the club never mind the FA Cup. 

The consequences of it carried on for the rest of the decade. 

I don'r really get it when people say that.

It was a bad defeat but so much more was behind what went wrong for the next ten years. We went down the next year because Taylor signed utter dross. 

This is mostly about how old you were.

The FA Cup lost its real magic, once the money and power of the Premier League took hold.   It took 2-3 years to get going, but I noticed that from about 1995, defeats in the FA Cup just didn't seem to matter as much.   I think the first time I noticed it, was when we lost to Wolves 1-0 in 1995, and there was a sort of shrug of the shoulders from the City, that I'd never seen before.

Before then, we had the odd awful moments.   Losing to 3rd Div Walsall in 1978 was as bad as it got.   We were a useless 1st Div side, so I suppose it wasn't totally unexpected ... but a last minute goal from Walsall sent us out.   I don't think I have ever seen 6000 away fans so demoralised.

In terms of the "worst" defeat, there isn't really any competetion.    In 1980 we won the 2nd Div, but lost to non-league Harlow Town.   We're not talking about a top non-league side here.   We're talking about a rubbish non-league team.  Harlow were mid table in the Isthmian league, which I think was level 3 in the non-league pyramid.   So in terms of "places higher", we are talking about 120 odd places here.    Losing to a non-league club was the ultimate humiliation.  

(the only redeeming factor, was than within a week - we were back in a promotion fight, and so didn't have long to feel sorry for ourselves).

On 07/01/2019 at 22:21, KrefelderFox666 said:

On that basis Millwall was worse. We were the reigning Champions of England and lost to a 10 man League 1 side

On the basis Ultra Fox is using Wycombe takes it. The gap between the sides was the same as Sunday - we were 5th in the league at the time and at home.