Sign in to follow this  
David Hankey

Worst FA Cup Defeat?

Wycombe was the worst for me. I basically considered it a bye to our first Semi final since 82. Losing that was gutting. 

53 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Is today's defeat the worse ever. Even the one inflicted by Wycombe in 2001?

Not even top 3.

This is the worst for me, in my lifetime, Millwall a close second but at least then the rapid rotation was a least justifiable when we were fighting for our lives, it also really hammers home that we've let our chance to build on our title win

51 minutes ago, Raj said:

NOTHING will be worse than Wycombe for an FA Cup defeat.

lol lol really? I would say held at home and losing away to Harlow is way beyond that. Harlow was on a par to losing to Lutterworth Town. 

Most people had never even heard of Harlow let alone its football team. 

We have had loads of crap results in the FA Cup over the years - as have most teams. I was at the infamous Harlow defeat and I'm still mentally scarred! 

4 minutes ago, 1969 said:

We have had loads of crap results in the FA Cup over the years - as have most teams. I was at the infamous Harlow defeat and I'm still mentally scarred! 

I was there too, played at an athletics stadium and city fans turned the burger van over at the end of the game

7 minutes ago, Foxey id said:

I was there too, played at an athletics stadium and city fans turned the burger van over at the end of the game

I remember a few dustbins flying around the car park too. Can't remember too much about the game fortunately. 

I’m not sure what our league position was when we lost to Wycombe , but to be 7th in the prem and go out to a 4th division side is pretty naff . 

I think it's always what happens next which determines the worse results.

We bounced back after Harlow, Exeter and, with a change of manager, Millwall. We fell apart after Wycombe and didn't fully recover until over a decade later. We'll see what impact the latest debacle has.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I’m not sure what our league position was when we lost to Wycombe , but to be 7th in the prem and go out to a 4th division side is pretty naff . 

5th, and it was a home quarter-final.

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

No Wycombe was worse, FA QF at home against a lower league side, if we had got past em we were at Villa Park playing against Liverpool in the SF

Today will stick in the memory for a while, but Harlow was bad, and for those of us that are old enough, struggling to beat non league Leatherhead in the 70s

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

This runs Wycombe bloody close for sure 

23 minutes ago, Corky said:

5th, and it was a home quarter-final.

Yep . That would be worse - it felt terrible at the time as I recall 

Wycombe was the worst one for me. That season really was our big chance to get to at least the semi-finals.

That said, Brown went and ended about 3 of our players careers that day too, and only got sent off for taking his shirt off...

Edited by Robin JD Popley

Today was second to Wycombe for me, although very close to Millwall, Millwall arguably worse in some ways given we were champions, and up against ten men.

Wycombe's up there with the biggest upset I think you'll see when you throw in all the context. A disaster.

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Give over they couldnt  beat Harlow in 2 games at least 3 leagues below Newport and we used to play a proper teamin the cups then

4 hours ago, Corky said:

Wycombe will always be the worst for me. Home game, 5th in the league, just beaten Liverpool and a quarter-final too (with plenty of players with cup winning experience).

That day, and the ramifications of it, will be etched in the club for a long time. Today shouldn't have the same impact despite the abject nature of it.

Yeh we were ****ed for years after that. Horrible times 

Wycombe is way ahead of Newport.

QF at home, first choice eleven versus a team getting strikers off teletext.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, sylofox said:

lol lol really? I would say held at home and losing away to Harlow is way beyond that. Harlow was on a par to losing to Lutterworth Town. 

Most people had never even heard of Harlow let alone its football team. 

I wasn't even a glint in my dad's eye for that!!! Personally for me it's Wycombe as we were already planning for the next round on the walk to filbo!!!