Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Iborra Joins Villarreal

I liked Iborra as a personality in the squad and he had some qualities. He turned out a reasonable signing whilst being far from spectacular and perhaps not the best fit for English football. Wish him every success at Villarreal and hope it works out for him.

Iborra wasn't top of the list of people to shift but this move has turned out to be surprise bonus for us this window insofar as the fee is concerned. He was a bit part player on decent money so to recoup £9mil back of the reported £10.5mil we spent is good business and gives us some more flexibility to make additions.

39 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think that's true, plus our climate here probably didn't appeal either, in more than one sense of the word.

Climate would've been more tolerable if they played, especially when they have enough money to make trips to a sunny side whenever they want/can. We're speaking about players with a big status in their former clubs. Part-timers ain't their thing. Iborra got his chance last season and Puel played him as often as he could. Then he went to shit and lost his place.

Silva's case is tougher, considering how he came to us but what I saw of his appearances never convinced me even if he played less than Iborra to be fair. But the manager starts a player based on the performances in training and I can't see Puel being mental and freeze a player showing promises in training in an area where we're really lacking. I also remember him saying they were doing whatever they can to keep him (match) fit after the FIFA suddenly thought 14 seconds is too much of a delay. 

No, both of them belong to the long list of misfits bought after the title when the recruitement had no idea what they were doing, certainly because the managers themselves didn't have a plan. At their age there was no real room for improvement anyway and Puel is focusing on young players, so yeah, best for both parties if they're off-loaded.

Edited by That_Dude

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Good luck to him, was a good asset in both boxes but his passing although sometimes innovative wasn't always the best especially, ironically the simpler ones.

As I see it Puel wants to move the ball quicker though the centre so not the best fit, hopefully it'll free up space for a more aggressive, faster passing midfielder who is equally as innovative.

Agreed. Can you get a bigger backhanded compliment for a midfielder? 

3 minutes ago, copunk said:

I don't know what puel sees more in james then he does iborra

It's not just your post but I don't understand how some people conclude James is preferred. Iborra wants to start or at least be more actively rotated in (likely the same with Silva), and they are not going to do that here while making too much money for the 4th CM spot. It's best for us, them and potential future players to find more suitable destinations for out of favor players versus withering away not playing. 

James has next to no market value - right now he has no buyers and is likely just happy to be included as he comes back from a series of injuries which normally end careers in their duration, intensiteee and variety. I think the hope is to play him in fringe games/as a sub to see either on the off chance he can recapture the form which once displayed Chelsea's Drinkwater. or create demand for him to be moved. I have my doubts about that first possibility (as I'm sure the club does too) and I think he should've been hooked at the half vs Newport but what's done is done. I expect James to make a few appearances over the next 5 months and then sold to a newly promoted team or someone in the Champ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He wasn't a bad signing, he wasn't brilliant, but lumping him in the bad pile is very harsh. 

Got most of the fee back, not sure what people are moaning about. 

No wait hang on, this is FT, people don't need a reason to moan lol

Who's moaning??!!

I'm happy he's gone back to 'sunny Spain' - and for a decent fee too. He just wasn't cut out for English football.

Anyone have the stats on his goals and assists in last the 12mths ? 

Even with limited appearances. As far as midfielders on our squad list  go, (until he was just removed) , he has to be near the top? Second only to Albrighton? 

Possibly more than even Nddidi and Maddison. 

& Certainly More than 

King

Mendy

James 

Silva

Amartey

Ghezzal

Hamza

Leshabela 

Well Good luck to him and thank you Vincente. Saffron Lane won't be the same again 

Tidy player but has never looked up to the pace of the prem. Getting £9 million for him is as good as we are ever going to get. If we can get £15 million for Silva we might be able to actually buy a decent CM that can move the ball forwards.