Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rigga

£100m

We know nowadays that spending big  doesn’t guarantee great players and over the past 2/3 years we have spent approx £100m during the summer.

We will more than likely have a similar budget this time around so do we use it on 2/3 players in key positions or do we spread it around and buy say 6/7 and bulk up what will be a depleted squad if we get rid of the deadwood.

2/3 players and promote the youth Johnson,Barnes etc would be my idea

38 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

To listen to Claude we won’t be spending any money until the summer!?

Tight French bast@rd,  throws the clubs money about like a Scotsman with no arms!!

I’d rather that then chuck loads of  money at useless  players  because that’s not worked out well so far .

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 3

Just now, baldeagle said:

I’d rather that then chuck loads of  money at useless  players  because that’s nit worked out well so far .

How about third time lucky, spending a chunk of it on a quality replacement for Mahrez! 

26 minutes ago, Rigga said:

We know nowadays that spending big  doesn’t guarantee great players and over the past 2/3 years we have spent approx £100m during the summer.

We will more than likely have a similar budget this time around so do we use it on 2/3 players in key positions or do we spread it around and buy say 6/7 and bulk up what will be a depleted squad if we get rid of the deadwood.

2/3 players and promote the youth Johnson,Barnes etc would be my idea

We only spent 100 million because the majority was covered by out goings.

I be surprised if we have a very more than a net spend of 40 million.

The only way we will spend that amount is by selling Maguire first.

5 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I’d rather that then chuck loads of  money at useless  players  because that’s nit worked out well so far .

Can he improve this lot ?

Gray has stood still..Ndidi also

Shinji, Morgan,Fuchs,Simpson well past their best 

Nacho and Diabate just not good enough

If he doesn’t spend, we’re in trouble 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rigga said:

We're 7th, we'd only be in trouble if we got loads of injuries. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We only need three or four players IMO, despite the fact we'll lose a dozen. You don't need to invest much in the backup left back, just the other three positions. 

Kasper / Ward

Ricardo/Amartey     Maguire / Evans     Benkovic / Soyuncu     Chilwell / New Left Back Backup

Mendy / Ndidi        New Starting CM / Hamza

Gray / New Starting Winger           Maddison / Iheancho                                 Albrighton / Barnes

Vardy / New Backup Striker

James, Morgan, Ghezzal for the fringes of the squad as 5th choices. 

Agreed. You're forgetting Elder though for left back back up. I think we probably need two new strikers if Okazaki and Slimani leave though - a starter/competition for Vardy and a younger player grow into the role. That's on the assumption that Nacho plays behind the front man rather than as a striker.

Edited by CloudFox

4 minutes ago, Rigga said:

And he can't just spend big, he has to offload players as well. 

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Agreed. You're forgetting Elder though for left back back up. I think we probably need two new strikers if Okazaki and Slimani leave though - a starter/competition for Vardy and a younger player grow into the role. That's on the assumption that Nacho plays behind the front man rather than as a striker.

I can't believe Elder will get a chance to be backup, the mans about 27 now lol

I think we'll probably see more signings, but they will be a few smaller value promising young players. So they don't take up squad places in the 25, don't expect to start all the time and can be used in the U23's. Like the lads we've been linked with the last few days. 

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We're 7th, we'd only be in trouble if we got loads of injuries. 

Not sure I 100% agree here. Let's say we were unlucky and we suffered long term injuries to Vardy, Maddison and Ricardo. I think we would struggle quite badly. They're probably the difference between mid-table and a relegation battle.

I'd also be very pleasantly surprised if Maguire and Chilwell are here at the start of next season.

Just now, reynard said:

Not sure I 100% agree here. Let's say we were unlucky and we suffered long term injuries to Vardy, Maddison and Ricardo. I think we would struggle quite badly. They're probably the difference between mid-table and a relegation battle.

I'd also be very pleasantly surprised if Maguire and Chilwell are here at the start of next season.

Pretty sure I said we'd only be in trouble if we got injures! :D

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Pretty sure I said we'd only be in trouble if we got injures! :D

It was the "loads of" part I'm not sure about. Depends who they would be.

If Sunday revealed anything it is that we have a very shallow squad in terms of ability. I wouldn't like to enter next season with Iheanacho and Vardy as the strike force and only Maddison as a creative midfielder. Diabate and Ghezzal don't look too clever either.

Depending on who leaves in the summer and how many can step up from youth team we could easily need 7 or 8 new players in the summer.

Edited by reynard

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I can't believe Elder will get a chance to be backup, the mans about 27 now lol

I think we'll probably see more signings, but they will be a few smaller value promising young players. So they don't take up squad places in the 25, don't expect to start all the time and can be used in the U23's. Like the lads we've been linked with the last few days. 

I know, it's mad. What's crazier is that he's actually only 23, 24 in a couple of weeks...feels like he's been around forever. I'm not saying he's excellent back up, but I'll be interested to see how he does at Ipswich the rest of this season. Chilly has the spot nailed, so he just needs back up for rotation I think.

As for the rest, yup. Think you're completely right, and I'm happy with that if we get the players in you mentioned. I'd love us to be known for developing players and become a bit of a Sevilla, giving it a go in Europa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

How about third time lucky, spending a chunk of it on a quality replacement for Mahrez! 

The problem is the majority of our expensive signings have turned out garbage or we’ve payed over the odds . It’s usually our middle to lower price ones  that often turn out to be the best . Yes we need players but we need to be a bit smarter 

• Like 2

Claude will by a load of defensive midfielders and i have it on authority that our entire scouting team are scoping the Portuguese league ready to have their pants pulled down and pluck the next set of money grabbers.

21 minutes ago, Rigga said:

I’m not saying don’t sign anyone I’m saying be a bit more clever about it money doesn’t always buy quality look at Slimani, Silva and Musa . January is known for inflated prices were not going down this year so why jump for players now and pay over the odds . If someone is available at the right price then yes by all means get them . The summer will be the best time when a lot of contracts run out and we can free up spaces and big wagers 

6 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I’m not saying don’t sign anyone I’m saying be a bit more clever about it money doesn’t always buy quality look at Slimani, Silva and Musa . January is known for inflated prices were not going down this year so why jump for players now and pay over the odds . If someone is available at the right price then yes by all means get them . The summer will be the best time when a lot of contracts run out and we can free up spaces and big wagers 

Agree with you but Europe is a definite possibility.. I think with Iborra/Silva going depletes us when injuries kick in..

Would like two fresh faces in Jan and make a real push for 7th.i don’t think our current squad gets us 7th with our inconsistency