Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Barnes coming back

Great he’s come back. Feel this time he’s ready to make a real impact. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t start tomorrow though, let’s ease him in and let him score the winner off of the bench!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

So what position will he play with Vardy and Maddison in the side ? He's not a wide player, is he?

Played as a left sided inside forward (sorry fm term!!) for West Brom on the 4 or 5 times I’ve seen them. 

They played a 4-3-3 when I saw them live 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

So if it is then let WBA play him tomorrow in their biggest game of the season so far and let the lad come back on monday morning to start properly.

Bringing him back on a day when he's presumably turned up to train at West Brom is poor planning and bad management IMO.

But we still don't know,  we're presuming aren't we? There could be a number of valid reasons that we're not aware of and just because they haven't come out and explained it to the likes of me and you, doesn't mean it's bad management. We don't know how long the two clubs have been talking about it and what the contractual options on both sides were. As somebody suggest, we may even have been in the market for another player who fell through. Either way, if we definitely were going to have him back,  I would risk him playing one more game for another club in case he got a knock and then we'd be recalling an injured player. 

So what position will he play with Vardy and Maddison in the side ? He's not a wide player, is he?

He's played out wide, as a number 10 and as a left forward for WBA.

He'll probably have a similar sort of role to what Iheanacho should have had - sometimes being used as a striker, othertimes playing in the 3 behind Vardy and interchanging freely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

don't know whether it's true or not but my wba supporting mate said his performances have dropped off for the last 3 or 4 games.

Yep my cousin supports brim and attends every game he said Barnes was player of the season already until mid December when he has been quite poor 

Maybe fatigue as he's not used to playing week in week out and the championship has a heavy fixture list 

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

10 seconds into his first game vs Southampton and he hasn't ran 10km, scored a goal and headbutted Puel.

Foxestalk: "Send him back he's lazy and rubbish".

More likely subbed off after an hour of his first start having been played totally out of position. The other scenario is gets MOM and is then dropped.

He's been playing on the left and has been training as a left winger so will probably play instead of Gray or albrighton but will allow are front 4 to be more fluid 

• Like 1

The wide attacking players is were we're weakest.

Albrighton is a good PL player.

Gray has stagnated.

Ghezzal is a level below. 

I hope Barnes is given every opportunity to make that position his own this season. If he can carry his West Brom performances here it will solve a lot of problems. 

Glad a decision has been made now the club and Barnes need to prove it is the right one. 

I’m a bit confused as to why it took so long to recall him. Especially to then do it on a Friday. It would have made more sense to bring him back before Newport and get some “free minutes”. I doubt he’ll start against Saints as he’s had no time with the squad but we’ll see. 

The advantage of the tougher games coming up is we’ve been going 433 in these games recently Barnes on the left of a front 3 seems ideal. Good luck HB.

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Evans, Morgan, Gray, King?

Evans is injured but yes he would be available for Brexit Leicester.

Morgan debatable as he's Jamaican, Gray and King on the bench as I was trying to do as strong an XI as possible.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WBA123 said:

Hello Chaps,

Bored Baggies fan here waiting for the weekend to arrive so I can watch some football.

I see there's a mixed reaction on here to Barnes coming back to you with some thinking his development would have been better off with us. My viewpoint is if he doesn't get minutes for you guys then it would have benefited him way more to stay with us. He was always going to start for us this season whatever happens.

Anyway, thought I'd give you my assessment on him after watching him for half a season.

Positives;

He's got a real eye for goal, he's scored a couple of screamers for us and he's hit the woodwork a few times, been a bit unlucky not to score more.

His finishing is very good, I can't think of many chances he has squandered this year

He's great at driving forward with the ball

He works hard and tracks back

His technique is good, he can play on either wing and use both feet

The noises I heard from the club was he had a brilliant attitude and work ethic

Negatives:

He doesn't always pick the right pass and he can be a bit greedy

He does sometimes go missing in games, yet in some of those games you also know he has the ability to put it in the top corner from 30 yards - so he's always worth persevering with.

He is a bit raw, but that's exactly what you'd expect for his age.

I guess he's as good a 20 year old I've seen play for us in years. If he can just polish up on a couple of areas he should be a premiership player for the next decade. Most Albion fans think he'll go onto play for England. And this loan spell has worked brilliantly for both him and for us, we really needed some youthful enthusiasm and pace in the side and he brought it. I hope some of our younger players have learned from him. And I wish him well, seems like a brilliant kid. Its a shame Puel decided to recall him on the eve of a massive game, but guess that's what you have to expect with loan deals.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on him for the rest of the season and beyond. Remember, we'll always have him back if Puel doesn't fancy him!:)

Al the best..

Cheers for this. Sounds really promising. Bit gutted for you guys to have him taken away but I'm sure you'll be able to attract a good replacement.

1 hour ago, Dames said:

I agree with you and I think i'm playing a bit of devils advocate in this instance.

I think he should be thrown straight in as his confidence is going to be high and he's been in good form this season. Lets hope the lad develops into the top class replacement we've been crying out for.

This is a good point think the club have got it spot on as it's looking like Puel will play him regularly, he is currently in great form so brining him in now is probably no better time in hoping that form will continue with us, like you say his confidence will be high and from what I've seen he could replace Vardy later down the line

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I can't see him starting tomorrow. Wouldn't be fair on the lad as hasn't properly trained with the squad. But I'd expect to see him on the bench and maybe come on late. 

Why recall him then? If we aren't intending on starting him we might as well have let him play for WBA and then recall him on Monday.

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Glad a decision has been made now the club and Barnes need to prove it is the right one. 

I’m a bit confused as to why it took so long to recall him. Especially to then do it on a Friday. It would have made more sense to bring him back before Newport and get some “free minutes”. I doubt he’ll start against Saints as he’s had no time with the squad but we’ll see. 

The advantage of the tougher games coming up is we’ve been going 433 in these games recently Barnes on the left of a front 3 seems ideal. Good luck HB.

It may have been contractual. Loan recalls often have expiry clauses midway through the window so that the club can get a replacement in, but a loan recall not becomign active until partway through the window would also make sense so they can prepare a replacement and have a transition process.

It could be that we've been making enquiries for other players but discussions haven't progressed for whatever reason. Barnes may be the backup.

It might be that we were reliant on shipping someone out (in this case, Diabate and Iborra) before bringing someone in. That could be due to needing the additional space in the squad list or to give us more flexibility on wages before bringing him back.

Maybe we've been having discussions with WBA about an arrangement to either leave him there for a bit longer, do a swap or something similar, but talks haven't gone well and we've opted to just pull the plug. That might be mutually beneficial, or we might be twisting their arm to try and get an extra loan fee or something.

Essentially there's a whole host of reasons that could have been the cause for the timing, and a lot of them we won't be privy to as fans of the club(s). All that really matters though is that he's back now, had a training session with the club and hopefully settles in quickly.

• Like 1