Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

Im pleased we’re starting to clear some deadwood and promote youth. Puel’s right that the club needs stability, but can we also have stable first team selection until the end of the season?  Only the 7th place to fight for now.  

• Like 4

He really does talk a good game i’ll give him that. 

I’m concerned about the messages about lack of money though are we really that broke that we cant compete against any club in the top 10 in the market? Concerning if true.

22 minutes ago, car1os said:

Im pleased we’re starting to clear some deadwood and promote youth. Puel’s right that the club needs stability, but can we also have stable first team selection until the end of the season?  Only the 7th place to fight for now.  

It seems we have it already. 

Kasper, Ricardo, Morgan, Maguire, Chilwell, Mendy, Ndidi, Albrighton, Madisson, Gray, Vardy

The changeable one are morgan, which evans keep come close but then stopped by injury 

We made few tweak so far according to the opponent, but that's the main plan already 

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Thanks for sharing @urban.spaceman!

To be honest I'm really glad he's come out and said this, because he's completely correct. It confirms everything we've all speculated on, which is that the club is looking to achieve success by developing players at the club over time instead of spending a sh*t ton of money. Personally this makes me pleased because I think clubs who spend vast fortunes on players lose the soul of their club. I have nothing against a marquee signing or two every summer, but I think fees spent by many clubs, including some of the "surprise" comparisons he gave like Everton and Wolves are both dangerous and have the mercenary feel to them. Our Premier League title was THE definitive title because it captured the quintessential essence of what football is, and captivated the world because of it.

We have so many British players, have just got Hamza in and around the first team and recalled Barnes. Throw Chilwell into the mix and that's three local lads (Chilwell for me counts given he's been in the city for over 10 years) who are likely to be first team players quite soon. That is in-****ing-credible job especially when you consider that at the time of writing we are 7th.

The one criticism that I think is fair from our fans is that the football is boring to watch. Essentially we all watch football for entertainment so I think it's perfectly fair to crticise a team for not having a go. When we won the title we often had games of less than 40% possession but our counter attacks were breathtaking and got you on the edge of your seat. BUT I do believe we will improve our attacking play over time. The quote about Mahrez is totally true, he was clearly talented but essentially a bit of a fancy dan when he arrived. It took a few seasons for him to blossom into a truly elite player. Bringing Barnes back is a great start as he has that "wow" factor, and we all need to remember to be patient and get behind the lads and club. If Ricardo and Maddison are indicative of the type of player we want to bring in, then we should continue to improve again in the summer. Puel has worked with players like Henry, Hazard, Trezeguet, etc and gave many of them their first chance. In the game against Chelsea, you could clearly see Hazard talking to Puel at the end of the game, which shows you how deep that respect goes. If you could pick one coach to develop your young players, Puel would be right up there alongside Wenger.

Another thing about the King Power group... their success has largely come down from being smart and patient enough to have a long term plan and sticking to it. That's how they grew the King Power brand and how they've approached their other business interests. If you look at the job they have done with our own club then they've done an incredible job, and that's ignoring the Premier League title. They have taken a Championship team that has spent most of their time in the Championship into a steady Premier League club, full of British talent with several players at the World Cup. And they are only getting started!

Some of my favourite quotes are below, and I think many on here would do well to pay specific attention to these:

“We know the normal difficulties to improve young players and get results. Normally it is not possible to improve young players and have the result at the same time. Normally when we improve the young players they perform later.

“There is a lot of pressure around the club, but we try to maintain good results and good improvement of lots of players.

“It costs a lot of money. A good example is Riyad became a great player but he was not a great player when he arrived in the club.

on the boring to watch.

I dont think its helping that all the attacking mids are struggling.

grays lost form,ghezel still trying to get to a level and maddison is up and down too.he has said on a few occasions that the players are struggling to find avenues to attack.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, womp said:

on the boring to watch.

I dont think its helping that all the attacking mids are struggling.

grays lost form,ghezel still trying to get to a level and maddison is up and down too.he has said on a few occasions that the players are struggling to find avenues to attack.

Definitely and you can also criticise the double pivot for being too defensively orientated and not progressive enough. But the thing is that these are not overnight problems that can be solved. Finding a high quality winger / forward is difficult, which is why Man City spent 60m in Mahrez even though he's just an option to rotate with Sane and Sterling. It would have been great if we could have signed Felipe Anderson, but he was something like 40m and clearly we prioritised this season other positions (Right Back, 10, Centre Backs). Ghezzal was and is clearly just a squad player. As Puel says, you have to either go out and spend a fortune to get a player who is proven in that position, or you have to pick up players with potential and develop them. I know it's often like watching a broken record with Leicester at the moment, but unless we suddenly signed a world class attacking player, why are we expecting anything different? And there has been progress this season, our defence is much improved and our full backs are brilliant. And building from the back is ALWAYS a good idea, you might remember a famous Italian ex-manager of ours who promised to buy the players a Pizza if we kept a clean sheet. It turned out that fixing the defence that year had positive results :scarf:.

So with all that said, having Barnes back is great, he can have a free swing to get up to speed so he can provide more of an impact next season. I would also be shocked if at least one more forward doesn't come in next season and possibly a more creative central midfield option once Slimani, Silva, Iborra, etc are all off the wage bill.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

So he’s telling us that we shouldn’t have ambitions to go higher? He would never had won the league with us that’s for sure! 

I am not saying for one second we could do it btw I’m just saying it would never had happened with that mindset!

also my annoyance is the way we play and how he has messed up on the chance for 2 cup finals in the exact same way in two years running!

And those Claude were very possible! 

I think he’s basically just trying to say be patient.

It’s great to have ambitions but it’s not acheivable tomorrow.

The title win was amazing but wasn’t sustainable long term because we couldn’t compete with the big teams off the pitch.

Claude’s building something, and that takes time. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Have the ambition but don't be all knee-jerk and butthurt when it expectedly doesn't happen because of the huge gulf in (financial) strength and quality between top 6 and the rest of the division. Hence the 'reality check'...

Personally I think he’s just making excuses, 

The problem fans have with him is nothing to do with that place in the league, maybe he should take a leaf out of his own advice and be more consistent with the team selection ??‍♂️

It’ssame thing over and over again give it time.. maybe just play to the players strength instead? Give it time to start using his own methods when he has the players that can actually pull it off? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He's stated exactly the same things I've stated all season :whistle:

We're a young developing side going through a transition stage, he's mentioned many times in that article about youth, the youth we have need time to develop. A key point he made is that in 3-4 years time these players will be better, these players might be able to compete against the big teams on a more regular basis, we might even break into the top six. 

He has a clear vision and his vision is a positive one, this season he's stuck to that vision and so far it's been hit and miss but players like Chilwell are developing, players like Choudhury and Barnes will be getting chances. He's made some terrific signings in Ricardo and Maddison, in Soyuncu and Benkovic we have two players there who could well be key players within a season or two.

Many sit and moan and on some occasions I don't blame them; however right now we're 7th, the teams around us like Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth have all experienced similar this season in terms of up and down moments, we've had that ourselves and we'll continue to have that this season. 

Anywhere 7th-10th shouldn't be looked upon as a failed position, it should be looked upon as a realistic position.

Finally a shout out to @StriderHiryu your posts keep getting better and better, you should have a thread dedicated to you like Babs :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He’s also saying we can’t compete with Wolves and West Ham ffs It’s reminding me the Peter Taylor era 

he question is how can we perform at this club? Do we have the same possibilities and money as Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Everton, West Ham or Wolves? Do we have same possibilities? No,” said Puel

• Like 4