Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

Just now, lgfualol said:

What was his stupid decision this week? Making Mendy throw a player down for no reason?

Mendy Choudhury and Ndidi together when we have the ball, playing the forward passes and making forward runs and getting it wrong because they are defensive players being asked to provide something they simply can’t 

• Like 2

Can’t really defend that 

Maybe I was swayed by his talk. I still agree with his vision but ironically I don’t think he’s the man to execute it?

As much as I crave stability the results and displays are alarming.

If top decides to give him the boot I’ll support it.  

Theres no shame in saying the tide has swung, some weeks I’ve been Puel in and some weeks I’ve been Puel out, but that’s literally summed up his reign. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rn9013 said:

I fear the two wins over Christmas against Chelsea and Man City, as good as they were, have masked over underlying issues. If we hadn’t of got those two unexpected wins we’d be on 25 points and in a real relegation scrap. 

Of course they have. Not sure about a relegation scrap but they certainly have helped cover up some real issues. Our league position covers up a lot of fundamental flaws and just how bad we are. Basically the same as Burnley last year. I mean just think about the last 15 games and how we've played.

Southampton - absolutely awful first half against a skeleton side battling relegation

Newport - embarrasing

Everton - terrible game, played poorly, got the result by taking advantage of a single mistake

Cardiff - poor, not good enough, their only away win

Man City - superb

Chelsea - good, superb second half

Man City - contemptuous, didn't watch it but apparently we were decent second half

Palace - woeful, created one chance against an out of form, depleted team

Spurs - they didn't need to get out of second gear

Fulham - between the 5th and 70th minute we looked clueless against a team that concedes goals and chances for fun. Created absolutely nothing

Watford - decent but they did miss a host of chances

Southampton - shockingly bad, like that was 90 minutes of utter tripe. Possibly the worst of the lot

Brighton - another shocker of a first half, in fact that could possibly be the worst of the lot. Rallied well second half. 

Cardiff and Burnley excused

I can accept the crash has made it a difficult season but even before that we rode our luck. For example, terrible against West Ham, got away with it. Everton - poor first half. We are as entertaining as a Tony Pulis side. Essentially we are Tony Pulis' West Brom except we pass it sideways better and don't just launch it. It just about gets the job done.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, FarleighFox said:

Benitez?? 

Out of contract in the summer I think, Puel will be given the rest of the season IMO the next 15 odd games are crucial if he wants a future with us. If we continue with the same hit & miss performances then he will be gone in the summer.

Puel Out brigade, think you will get your wish at the end of the season. Don't believe there are any other viable managerial options out there, plus don't believe that Top is in that right frame of mind to be making these sort of calls. 

Think the results of Cardiff, Newport and Southampton have virtually decided the fate of Claude, but due to lack of options elsewhere, this is now simply a stay of execution that will be actioned after the last game of the season.

We'll still be top half of the table by the end of this weekend, in a supposedly transitional campaign during which we've endured a serious tragedy. While I go along with the frustrations over team selection, style of play against weaker sides and substandard performances, it'd be a huge call to fire him. And Puel's right in some respects, that for a side with our level of investment it's going pretty much how we might have expected. FA Cup shocker aside, of course. Projects take time, as we learnt back in 2013 and it'd be a great shame to abandon it in order to go for Rodgers, or an even more defensively-minded boss like Benitez.

That said, while I disagree with the Puel Outers (especially the more rabid ones) we have to be careful that this doesn't turn into another Wycombe in terms of its aftermath. 7th place was very flattering, just as 4th was in March 2001, and if a minor crisis turns into a collapse we may need to act. You'd have to be blind, and have a very short memory, not to see the potential for that happening.

And some of the Pro-Puel arguments are also very shaky - especially those that focus on individual errors as if they are no reflection on a manager. If that were the case, neither would individual moments of brilliance be to his credit, like some of Vardy's match-winners recently. The manager takes responsibility for results and performances, and in this case the decision to go with three CDMs - which I personally didn't have a huge problem with at the time - proved unsuccessful. Indeed, the errors for the goals came from one of those CDMs, and - specifically - a CDM that Puel has reintegrated into the squad, and picked game-in-out. So I'd say he has to take his share of the blame for that too, just as he has to be accountable for our predictable and toothless build-up play, which is a problem regardless of which side or system we put out.

• Like 1