Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

6 minutes ago, yks said:

Under Ranieri 2 or Shakey, no one was asking "what if?" because everyone know we were constantly shit.
People are asking "what if?" now because we show during some games what our true potentiel is, but instead of congratulating Puel for allowing us to play at this level sometimes, they bash him because he can't repeat it every game. That's kind of insane. He is in a way a victim of his own success.

lol Out of reps but this is spot on.

Puel came in and we actuall started passing the ball and it felt amazing at first.  Obviously we havent transformed into Barcelona yet after one summer so people are impatient

We were so constantly shit before Puel it was ridiculous.  Never felt like we were going to get anything from a game

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, yks said:

Under Ranieri 2 or Shakey, no one was asking "what if?" because everyone know we were constantly shit.
People are asking "what if?" now because we show during some games what our true potentiel is, but instead of congratulating Puel for allowing us to play at this level sometimes, they bash him because he can't repeat it every game. That's kind of insane. He is in a way a victim of his own success.

People were always saying 'what if' during Ranieris second season and towards the end of Shakespeares reign, the feelings were the same we played negatively and people were constantly left feeling and thinking 'What if'. This isn't a new thing those two managers were not held up on a pedastal and were exempt from critcism infact they were very similar to now in terms of the football being played you just have to swap side ways and backwards passing for aimless hoofs and its the same arguments.

Puel doesn't allow the team to play to any level he likes them playing very safely the only times we show 'potential' is when we are chasing games because of Puels negativity and have no other choice. What people want is that 'potential' being used from the very start and not as a last resort.

Just now, Dames said:

People were always saying 'what if' during Ranieris second season and towards the end of Shakespeares reign, the feelings were the same we played negatively and people were constantly left feeling and thinking 'What if'. This isn't a new thing those two managers were not held up on a pedastal and were exempt from critcism infact they were very similar to now in terms of the football being played you just have to swap side ways and backwards passing for aimless hoofs and its the same arguments.

Puel doesn't allow the team to play to any level he likes them playing very safely the only times we show 'potential' is when we are chasing games because of Puels negativity and have no other choice. What people want is that 'potential' being used from the very start and not as a last resort.

Its been said 1 million times.

But Puel has also expressed concern about the slow starts

Once we get a lead we are very difficult to beat.  Do you not think Puel would like us to be scoring first as that would give us a high chance of success?

The notion that he is accepting of the fact that we dont start quickly and positively is bonkers. It beggars belief to think that he wouldnt like to change this

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Puel came in and we actuall started passing the ball and it felt amazing at first.  Obviously we havent transformed into Barcelona yet after one summer so people are impatient

We were so constantly shit before Puel it was ridiculous.  Never felt like we were going to get anything from a game

They had that new manager bounce and probably felt free from the fear of their predecessors in a post Kante world.

The longer Puel has been here the more negative we've got - the more evidence is building up to the fact that this is actually his style and what happened in those first few weeks after he arrived were the result of the shackles being taken off. Now Puel has just swapped the old shackles for a new set.

He can have as many windows as he likes, he isn't going to change the way he likes to set his teams up.

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Its been said 1 million times.

But Puel has also expressed concern about the slow starts

Once we get a lead we are very difficult to beat.  Do you not think Puel would like us to be scoring first as that would give us a high chance of success?

The notion that he is accepting of the fact that we dont start quickly and positively is bonkers. It beggars belief to think that he wouldnt like to change this

He's said it a million times yet nothings changed? Its just lip service if i'm being honest.

Just now, Dames said:

They had that new manager bounce and probably felt free from the fear of their predecessors in a post Kante world.

The longer Puel has been here the more negative we've got - the more evidence is building up to the fact that this is actually his style and what happened in those first few weeks after he arrived were the result of the shackles being taken off. Now Puel has just swapped the old shackles for a new set.

He can have as many windows as he likes, he isn't going to change the way he likes to set his teams up.

Again. Really?

2 formations this season and we have seen him experimnent momentarily with a back 3

I'm sorry mate but what you're saying isnt true

• Like 1

Just now, Dames said:

He's said it a million times yet nothings changed? Its just lip service if i'm being honest.

He's admitted the issue. So he is acknowledging it at least

I happen to remember Maguire mentioning about being nervous at the beginning of a match to the point where he thinks it affected their game, but when they go a goal down the nerves go away

So there you have a player saying its down to them to a degree

But go ahead and ignore all that and scapegoat Puel for the entirety of our issues if you prefer

• Like 2

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Again. Really?

2 formations this season and we have seen him experimnent momentarily with a back 3

I'm sorry mate but what you're saying isnt true

Thats a weak arguement and you know it. You can change formations as much as you like but when the core tactics remain the same nothings really changing.

No matter who he picks and what formation he plays he likes his teams to be safe in possession, he likes them to stand off and not dive in, he doesn't want them over committing so they dont get caught out, he only ever plays with 1 striker and the way he sets his teams up to serve that striker is to get the ball on the wing and cross it in from deep, even with the crossing tactic he doesn't want us committing to many bodies forwards incase we get caught out. The same things are happening time and time again and its not the players doing this because we know their natural inclinations are to punt the ball forwards for Vardy.

Puel sets up not to lose and nick a result, its brought him some level of success in the past and he isn't going to change that no matter how much the game has moved on.

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

He's admitted the issue. So he is acknowledging it at least

I happen to remember Maguire mentioning about being nervous at the beginning of a match to the point where he thinks it affected their game, but when they go a goal down the nerves go away

So there you have a player saying its down to them to a degree

But go ahead and ignore all that and scapegoat Puel for the entirety of our issues if you prefer

You're clutching at straws. I can see in some previous posts your reasons for defending Puel and I respect them but teams are a reflection of their manager. He's admitting the issues and he's been admitting them for a while but he's not addressed them. If anything we've got more defensive.

What he's saying and whats happening are two very different things. If the players are admitting they are nervous at the start of the game maybe thats because of the tactics? its no coincidence that the nerves vanish when we concede because they know they are allowed to take more risks in chasing the game that they won't get chastised for making mistakes. Maybe if everything Puel set us up to do wasn't geared up to be safety first and not make mistakes the players won't be as nervous.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's very harsh, we often dominate teams having god knows how much more possession and many more shots than them. Quite frankly he'd probably be more successful if he played as defensively as the shit houses that come to us looking for no more than a point.

He's also swapped defensive players like Simpson and Okazaki for attacking players like Maddison and Ricardo, yes he plays two DM's, but that's to allow the full backs to get forward and I'm pretty sure at the top of his list is a far more creative CM, but someone more capable in a two with the attributes needed to do the covering. I don't think Silva is that, hence why he wants rid.

We need a CM capable of picking a pass and able to shift the ball quickly and a bit more quality in the final third from out wide. Now, it's entirely up for debate as to whether he'll be good enough to get more out of players in the final third, our movement is often too static and rather than trying to pull players about, we end up just crossing the ball to nobody. But I don't think we're attempting to "not lose" and nick a result. I don't find him a defensive manager, he can be conservative at times where chucking caution to the wind might be better. But he's no Pulis and he's better than most managers in that respect who rock up at our place. Yes it was ridiculous to go with three DCM's against Saints. But many of those now slating him for that, slated him for not picking that against Cardiff.

It's that final ball and final chance creation where we are lacking at the moment IMO, but I don't think we're a million miles away from doing better.

I can see what you're saying when we are the shithouses against the bigger teams there has been some degree of success lately so I see your point in that aspect.

In terms of personel and the changes he's done well and can't be faulted in that (besides his recommendation for Ghezzal panic buy or not). I just don't think he's flexible in terms of his philosophy and it leads him as you say to being conservative, in my opinion too conservative. He might not have the players to fit his philosophy and we might literally just be 1 or 2 players away from it falling in to place but in the interim he needs to find a solution to fit the players he has and not the players he wants to have. He is currently setting us up to negate the weaknesses we have playing with his style and philosophy which means more often than not we are keeping the ball purely to recycle it defensively, we are too cautious in our play with and without the ball leading to more standing off and less commitment in the final third if we do get into the final third our options are limited and more often than not if its not the cross into the box its hit and hope at the goal. This is where the statistics can be a bit misleading in terms of possession and shots on goal. We all know possession doesnt win games and our shots on goal are very rarely clear cut.

I think a good manager or at least a less stubborn one would have recognised that currently we don't have the players to fit into his philosophy and system so in the interim lets introduce aspects that they can handle but focus on the strengths of the players and the team - this is something Puel is not doing. Our main strengths are energy and pace, we have these in abundance across the preferred starting 11 but they are very rarely utilised. Vardy is another strength, as long as he's our main goal threat the team should be suited to getting as much out of him as possible until another viable solution is found and eased in - it won't work forever but it will buy him the time he needs to implement the changes he wants. We don't need to solely be a counter attacking team but the players in this team have shown in the past they are able to press high, win the ball back, break quickly and punish mistakes ruthlessly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dames said:

You're clutching at straws. I can see in some previous posts your reasons for defending Puel and I respect them but teams are a reflection of their manager. He's admitting the issues and he's been admitting them for a while but he's not addressed them. If anything we've got more defensive.

What he's saying and whats happening are two very different things. If the players are admitting they are nervous at the start of the game maybe thats because of the tactics? its no coincidence that the nerves vanish when we concede because they know they are allowed to take more risks in chasing the game that they won't get chastised for making mistakes. Maybe if everything Puel set us up to do wasn't geared up to be safety first and not make mistakes the players won't be as nervous.

Reached my post limit for the first time ever. Im officially a fuching nerd

We have got more defensive, but our defense was leaky so that was necessary.

As far as being cautious and making the players nervous due to tactics, or just saying our tactics are to start slow, that is speculation, could be righ for all we know, but we dont know for sure what the reasons are for our slow starts

Personally i think the only thing can state objectively is our CM area is not good at moving the ball up the pitch and the movement isnt great

Whist this often makes for frustration and a dull watch, what Puel has been doing has been getting us points. These players are only going to get better ans if we get another striker in and a CMer who can turn and distribute and play through the lines we will improve massively

The only thing I would be able to maybe lay at Puel's feet is the seeming lack of movement that stops us playing through the other team. Guardiola has been brilliant and getting his teams to do this. Does he want players to stick to the position in their formation rather than switch around to make space? I have no clue. Maybe the players are poor decision makers or scared to move for the ball. 

Either way, Puel has solidified our status in the league as far as I can tell and that will have been his task this season

We wont have the measure of him until we have another summer window in my view. I would have thought results so far would be enough to buy him time with the fans. For many it isnt. I dont understand that, but thats the debate essentially

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It was very impressive at first because we still played at a high tempo and yet were actually passing the ball, it was exciting stuff, off the top of my head the Spurs game at home was a good example, but now it’s just so slow and dull, if we upped the tempo a bit I’d be happier, I understand sport in general is a results business, first and foremost win, entertainment is a bonus.

13 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It was very impressive at first because we still played at a high tempo and yet were actually passing the ball, it was exciting stuff, off the top of my head the Spurs game at home was a good example, but now it’s just so slow and dull, if we upped the tempo a bit I’d be happier, I understand sport in general is a results business, first and foremost win, entertainment is a bonus.

Our games are still pretty high tempo when we play opposition like Spurs

The ongoing issue is against the less good teams.  That issue has preceded Puel and may well survive him if he goes.

Is it so hard for people to just give the guy one more transfer window to upgrade the obvious impediments in our team to a passing game?  Not talking about you specifically here

Id be happier with an upped tempo too in these games.  I attended Burnley and Cardiff.  But to be fair, against Burnley we were unlucky not to win, Vardy really should have scored, and against Cardiff we were clearly tired (also unlucky not to win btw) and I actually blame Puel for that because he started Vardy and Albrighton when I think he shouldnt have (all people who dislike Puel will disagree with me on that and say Vardy and Albrighton should have started, so there you have the absolute state of things).  If players look like they are on their last legs after 60 minutes they should not be starting

I think the biggest mistakes Puel makes is doing things that most of his critics want him to do

I digress, as you say its results first. And results so far are there or thereabouts

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Puel is in a contract for a few more years. .  so why no let him take a holiday till june... and get someone else in.   The in june we can decide if we want puel back or not?

That question mark suggests you're serious. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-leicester-citys-transfer-spending-2437264

Mercury making up a bit for their carelessly produced article the other day

One of the lowest net spends in the league this season yet in the top half.  Its not bad

also one of the youngest teams.

Wolves are as inconsistent as us,losing to low teams yet their fans aren't calling for the manager to be sacked.

• Like 1

Yes a yoing teams good.Puels done well with the Young lads.???

Iheanacho and Gray have gone backwards.Chilwell will be dumped soon by England unless he learns to cover his man and also put a good cross in.Ndidi has also stalled.so which young players has he improved?

Barnes has improved though but Puel can knock that out of him.What Tactic does Puel coach for creating chances??wish we had Martin back!He would have repaired some of the damage done to

the fans by Puels boring football and arrogance.

20 hours ago, womp said:

also one of the youngest teams.

Wolves are as inconsistent as us,losing to low teams yet their fans aren't calling for the manager to be sacked.

Wolves should get their own sub forum on FT, then they would want Nuno out....