Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

10 hours ago, chapero82 said:

He’s also saying we can’t compete with Wolves and West Ham ffs It’s reminding me the Peter Taylor era 

he question is how can we perform at this club? Do we have the same possibilities and money as Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Everton, West Ham or Wolves? Do we have same possibilities? No,” said Puel

That's the only thing I'll really have to pick fault with, we can compete with these teams financially but either due to our impending outlay on infrastructure or because we're changing our approach to sustained success then we are tightening the purse strings. 

10 hours ago, womp said:

on the boring to watch.

I dont think its helping that all the attacking mids are struggling.

grays lost form,ghezel still trying to get to a level and maddison is up and down too.he has said on a few occasions that the players are struggling to find avenues to attack.

For me, that's down to the style of play that the manager is insisting on ...... they are playing with shackles on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fair play to Puel for his vision but he needs to back that up with results. If we don’t get into Europe this season, no complaints if the owners decide to look elsewhere. The vision for the club is a strong one integrating youth players and having that ethos where we grow and develop young players. Rather than spending excessive amounts on foreign imports. But I think there has to be a Balance at the end of the day. We will have to wait and see what happens. Only time is the judge. Up to you Monsieur Puel.

There's nothing wrong with planning for the future and what Claude has said makes sense. 

What I seen in the article that resonates with me is the trouble he had with Southampton fans is the same he has with some Leicester fans (me included), and that's the style of football. I'm over the moon about where we are in the league, but it can't just be me that thinks if we had put out a more attack minded team against the smaller teams we could be sitting in 6th due to the poor start Man Utd had. I'm hoping with Barnes coming back we can start looking better going forward so we can have some exciting football again. 

If Claude's plan comes to fruition then we could have Gray, Madison, Barnes and Choudry starting, I think that could work really well once they've all played together for a while and understand each others game, the thought of Madison and Barnes playing in Vardy is an exciting one. 

Just seems like excuses to me.

the brand of football is awful. The set in stone way of playing is stifling us. I understand the want to play a possession based game, short passing etc. And I support that. But the problem for me is the lack of flexibility and inability to switch it up.

i also have no idea why, when we are supposed to be strictly playing it across the deck, that we insist on playing wasted crosses into the box with nobody to aim for. - if this is the idea of switching it up, it doesn’t work. It’s pointless.

Puel has ruined our best player.

i understand he has a footballing philosophy but he needs to be less stubborn and combine that with playing to vardya strengths some way. He needs to compromise a bit imo.

the biggest problem for me, is that he doesn’t seem to be a motivator.  I think that’s probably the most important quality to have in a manager.

Edited by dooflip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's the only thing I'll really have to pick fault with, we can compete with these teams financially but either due to our impending outlay on infrastructure or because we're changing our approach to sustained success then we are tightening the purse strings. 

Probably best anyway as we aren’t good at spending large amounts. I think I’m right in saying that all our record breaking signings in recent years, with the notable exception of Ulloa have been failures.

• Like 1

We have so much dead wood that need to shipped out. It's a long tedious task but it has to be done. We have signed one bad player sfter another since 2016 and it has caught up with us. Our wage bill is huge and we are paying big wages to players who are not contributing. Puel is trying to sort that out and he is doing that whilst keeping us top half. 

Puel will do down as the most underrated LCFC manager of all time when he leaves. The vitriol get gets is quite frankly disgraceful. 

Apart from 6-8 month under Ranieri, when have we ever played scintillating cavalier football in the Premier League? Even under O'Neil we were hard to watch but granted  we won cups and finished top half, but the actual football was not great.

• Like 4

The biggest problem I  foresee is that as soon as players like Maguire, Chilly and Maddison start to mature they’ll obviously attract attention from the upper echelons of the PL. Whilst its good business to sell these players on at huge profit, it will surely hamper progress. Therefore I believe where pretty much destined at best to be occuping a place between the top 6 and mid table. 

1 minute ago, browniefox said:

There's nothing wrong with planning for the future and what Claude has said makes sense. 

What I seen in the article that resonates with me is the trouble he had with Southampton fans is the same he has with some Leicester fans (me included), and that's the style of football. I'm over the moon about where we are in the league, but it can't just be me that thinks if we had put out a more attack minded team against the smaller teams we could be sitting in 6th due to the poor start Man Utd had. I'm hoping with Barnes coming back we can start looking better going forward so we can have some exciting football again. 

If Claude's plan comes to fruition then we could have Gray, Madison, Barnes and Choudry starting, I think that could work really well once they've all played together for a while and understand each others game, the thought of Madison and Barnes playing in Vardy is an exciting one. 

It would be great if we could play entertaining football for 90 minutes at home but apart from a handful of teams like Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool who have big budgets for luxury players its highly unlikely especially this season with players still learning the game or the league, what team outside the top 6 plays entertaining football for 90 minutes? none I would suspect and if they are it can't be that beneficial as we sit above them all. 

The last time we played entertaining football was in the Championship..

14/15 - seemed exciting but that was only because we was in a relegation scrap and somehow managed to get out of it, was the football exciting before that? hardly.

15/16 - again seemed exciting because we was winning every week and eventually won the league but it wasn't entertaining football for 90 minutes it was hard fought games, exciting winning the league yes exciting football hardly.

16/17 - league was dross, Champions league was exciting but that's because it was knew to us.

The last two seasons have been no worse than the two prior and after the title win, if anything we look a much more attacking side than we have since the Championship with the players coming through.

• Like 1

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

It would be great if we could play entertaining football for 90 minutes at home but apart from a handful of teams like Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool who have big budgets for luxury players its highly unlikely especially this season with players still learning the game or the league, what team outside the top 6 plays entertaining football for 90 minutes? none I would suspect and if they are it can't be that beneficial as we sit above them all. 

The last time we played entertaining football was in the Championship..

14/15 - seemed exciting but that was only because we was in a relegation scrap and somehow managed to get out of it, was the football exciting before that? hardly.

15/16 - again seemed exciting because we was winning every week and eventually won the league but it wasn't entertaining football for 90 minutes it was hard fought games, exciting winning the league yes exciting football hardly.

16/17 - league was dross, Champions league was exciting but that's because it was knew to us.

The last two seasons have been no worse than the two prior and after the title win, if anything we look a much more attacking side than we have since the Championship with the players coming through.

I'm not asking for 90 minutes, just for us to attack and push. I really enjoyed the Newport game as we attacked alot. Didn't even mind the loss or moan like some others, we were unlucky that game and Newport defended really well. It was just nice to see us have a go. 

Don't get me wrong I see what CP is doing by sorting out the defense first but he now seems to have that sorted and now it's time to work on going forward. 

Puel: We have less money than Wolves & Everton & West Ham.

Random fan that knows nothing of the infrastructure beyond our owner and family being wealthy: haha no more than wolves? Idiot Puel what do you know? Puel out.

lolI’d think Top and co have moderate wealth in comparison to a lot of people in the world. Cash money especially.

Can't argue with anything the man says.

But look at what he doesn't say. Not a word reported about playing weakened sides in two successive home league cup quarter finals. Not a peep about doing the same in two successive FAC3R matches, losing one and coming within the width of a post of losing the other. 

I have patience and realistic expectations for my club. We're not going to finish top 6 or bottom 6. All the more reason for giving the cups our all, not treating them as an inconvenience. 

I'm still angry!

• Like 1

Just now, browniefox said:

I'm not asking for 90 minutes, just for us to attack and push. I really enjoyed the Newport game as we attacked alot. Didn't even mind the loss or moan like some others, we were unlucky that game and Newport defended really well. It was just nice to see us have a go. 

Don't get me wrong I see what CP is doing by sorting out the defense first but he now seems to have that sorted and now it's time to work on going forward. 

Newport are like 3 leagues below us of course we would be the more dominant side, teams in the Prem are more or less level pegging and it becomes a game of fine margins, unless your Man City, Liverpool or Tottenham etc. you can't expect entertaining football and points on the board constantly, we do have spells of attacking football I'm sure it will get better with time though

55 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I feel the difference with us and Southampton (so far) is our players develop into good players before they are sold, Southampton sell good prospects... so at least benefit a bit more in the short term...

Thats not true, Mane, Van Dijk, Lallana and Clyne were all good players before they left Southampton.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Thats not true, Mane, Van Dijk, Lallana and Clyne were all good players before they left Southampton.

I am talking more about what comes through their youth system. Two of the players you've listed were already good players when they bought them, they've just gone onto the next level

2 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Puel: We have less money than Wolves & Everton & West Ham.

Random fan that knows nothing of the infrastructure beyond our owner and family being wealthy: haha no more than wolves? Idiot Puel what do you know? Puel out.

lolI’d think Top and co have moderate wealth in comparison to a lot of people in the world. Cash money especially.

The wolves owners or the business they own completely dwarfs every single owner in the premier league (even Manchester City). & West Ham have had a 66k stadium for free. Not sure how Everton can keep spending though. 

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Newport are like 3 leagues below us of course we would be the more dominant side, teams in the Prem are more or less level pegging and it becomes a game of fine margins, unless your Man City, Liverpool or Tottenham etc. you can't expect entertaining football and points on the board constantly, we do have spells of attacking football I'm sure it will get better with time though

I don't get why you don't understand what I'm saying??? I'm not expecting us to be the new Man City or Liverpool, just want us to have a go more rather than set up defensively against teams that won't come at us. 

18 minutes ago, dooflip said:

Just seems like excuses to me.

the brand of football is awful. The set in stone way of playing is stifling us. I understand the want to play a possession based game, short passing etc. And I support that. But the problem for me is the lack of flexibility and inability to switch it up.

i also have no idea why, when we are supposed to be strictly playing it across the deck, that we insist on playing wasted crosses into the box with nobody to aim for. - if this is the idea of switching it up, it doesn’t work. It’s pointless.

Puel has ruined our best player.

i understand he has a footballing philosophy but he needs to be less stubborn and combine that with playing to vardya strengths some way. He needs to compromise a bit imo.

the biggest problem for me, is that he doesn’t seem to be a motivator.  I think that’s probably the most important quality to have in a manager.

People putting confused to this type of comments really makes me laugh... is it any wonder that when we do play to the players strengths we do well? E.g Man City and Chelsea granted we can’t play counter attacking football against the smaller teams, but we could get into there faces more, instead of being 2nd to the ball and not just passing it sideways and backwards! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

The biggest problem I  foresee is that as soon as players like Maguire, Chilly and Maddison start to mature they’ll obviously attract attention from the upper echelons of the PL. Whilst its good business to sell these players on at huge profit, it will surely hamper progress. Therefore I believe where pretty much destined at best to be occuping a place between the top 6 and mid table. 

Every Championship Team would bite your hand off for that level of performance.    It's the reality.  We can strive for better but have to be realistic.

We're 7th we're 7th. Yes it's better than being where Huddersfield are. 

Wooppi do. 

Personally I'd swap 7th for 10th, have a proper good go in the cups and be able to watch  better football :scarf:

Man utd are 6th and their football until recently has been turgid. Have they been moaning they're. 6th? No 90% having been moaning about the quality of the football. 

Sometimes in a game  we show great tenacity and passing that makes me think wow. Then 20 passes later we are further back than when we started or conceding a goal, rather than an end product that tests opposition keeper. 

Last year finishing 9th was harder to achieve than finishing 6th or even 5th, but we somehow managed it :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, lcfceaves said:

I am talking more about what comes through their youth system. Two of the players you've listed were already good players when they bought them, they've just gone onto the next level

You just said our players, no mention of youth coming thought our youth system.

For me when you talk about developing players, that includes they one you have also brought as we developed both Drinkwater and Mahrez before sell them on.

11 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

“They had a fantastic image, but now their teams play in the Championship."

???????

If this....and the rest of this interview doesn't get the fans around him and the team nothing will. And quite frankly opinions of not....

Outside the gameday-critic...unless they the negative posters now come up with something new,their posts ain't worth reading!!!

Opinion and banter on any forum stays the same...gameday-critic of any individuals attitude can and should be analysed.

Though I believe it's ridiculous,questioning a managers tactics on substitutions or even selection-policy,its does however  open or keeps interesting

ideas ticking over.

This "outing" was the best thing thing Puel could do,he's opened himeself,to the fans,got rid of a lot of fallacies, and pretentious expectations.

Now he's said how it really is,and between the lines,from KP backing...We know there is some finances but no more wasting money,

Like the Whams,and Newcastles(and ourselves)  of these last few years!!!! They have chosen the way and the project ideology,so it's up to us,

the fans to get on board,and support........our club,..our up-to-date the new  LCFC....Or you can chose to carry on being boring,and attack the club at every

turn.....!!!

Unless this ideology implodes,Puel with KP support is here for the long-haul........Now chant his and Tops names...at least for awhile!!!

Edited by fuchsntf