Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

7 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

People putting confused to this type of comments really makes me laugh... is it any wonder that when we do play to the players strengths we do well? E.g Man City and Chelsea granted we can’t play counter attacking football against the smaller teams, but we could get into there faces more, instead of being 2nd to the ball and not just passing it sideways and backwards! 

People posting about other peoples reactions to nonsensical and opinionated posts makes me laugh :P 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You just said our players, no mention of youth coming thought our youth system.

For me when you talk about developing players, that includes they one you have also brought as we developed both Drinkwater and Mahrez before sell them on.

All I was thinking off, as everyone labels Puel the youth developer, I automatically think of players coming through our youth.

Whatever way you want to look at it, Southampton do have a past of letting players go to soon (In my opinion). Our owners tend to have dug their heels in and not just chased money

12 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I don't get why you don't understand what I'm saying??? I'm not expecting us to be the new Man City or Liverpool, just want us to have a go more rather than set up defensively against teams that won't come at us. 

Man City were in the third tier before we were and seem to have done OK since. So why can't we aspire? 

Besides we played pressing fast counter attack the year we won league. Now to hear the media w*nking over man city and Liverpool you'd think theyd only just invented it 

Edited by woddyuk

13 minutes ago, woddyuk said:

We're 7th we're 7th. Yes it's better than being where Huddersfield are. 

Wooppi do. 

Personally I'd swap 7th for 10th, have a proper good go in the cups and be able to watch  better football :scarf:

Man utd are 6th and their football until recently has been turgid. Have they been moaning they're. 6th? No 90% having been moaning about the quality of the football. 

Sometimes in a game  we show great tenacity and passing that makes me think wow. Then 20 passes later we are further back than when we started or conceding a goal, rather than an end product that tests opposition keeper. 

Last year finishing 9th was harder to achieve than finishing 6th or even 5th, but we somehow managed it :thumbup:

We aint!!!  Manchester ****ing united!!!!....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's the only thing I'll really have to pick fault with, we can compete with these teams financially but either due to our impending outlay on infrastructure or because we're changing our approach to sustained success then we are tightening the purse strings. 

I think your right Ric and see an ambition to recoup money from bad signings before reinvesting. Can't really blame them I suppose in one respect. Most of their bigger money purchases have been disasterous and to continue the same model of buy high,  sell at big loss is not sustainable. It's real money and they will be counting every thousand let alone million.

I think we do have to be realistic but remain ambitious. Most of our more recent young signings, from a purely investment point of view would make quite a bit of money if they had to be sold for any particular reason. I think the days of buying 29yr olds for big money have gone and I think that is a positive thing. I think this new method of recruitment has legs in it and the potential to take us to the next level but, it won't be an overnight thing and that won't be good enough for some people but, at the end of the day it's a business.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woddyuk said:

Man City were in the third tier before we were and seem to have done OK since. So why can't we aspire? 

Besides we played pressing fast counter attack the year we won league. Now to hear the media w*nking over man city and Liverpool you'd think theyd only just invented it 

I fvcking give up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's the only thing I'll really have to pick fault with, we can compete with these teams financially but either due to our impending outlay on infrastructure or because we're changing our approach to sustained success then we are tightening the purse strings. 

Speak to Top and the Board...Puel hasn't just come out on a whim,without their backing!!!!

So " we can". Statements seem a bit arrogant,and some idea of intern affairs....!!!

Or have you gave the city a cash-egg,we don't know about...:P!! You naughty boy.

49 minutes ago, dooflip said:

Just seems like excuses to me.

the brand of football is awful. The set in stone way of playing is stifling us. I understand the want to play a possession based game, short passing etc. And I support that. But the problem for me is the lack of flexibility and inability to switch it up.

i also have no idea why, when we are supposed to be strictly playing it across the deck, that we insist on playing wasted crosses into the box with nobody to aim for. - if this is the idea of switching it up, it doesn’t work. It’s pointless.

Puel has ruined our best player.

i understand he has a footballing philosophy but he needs to be less stubborn and combine that with playing to vardya strengths some way. He needs to compromise a bit imo.

the biggest problem for me, is that he doesn’t seem to be a motivator.  I think that’s probably the most important quality to have in a manager.

Do a dooflip..:teehee:

• Haha 1

Puel coming out fighting! I like that and along with some recent passionate touchline celebrations, shows he has a lot of fight hidden beneath that calm exterior.

As others have said, it certainly reveals a lot about what is going on inside the club at the moment, in terms of a re-think in how we want to do business now. You can't really blame Top either after what has been a list of expensive flops! Add that to the stadium and training ground plans, and a rethink makes total sense. 

I can definitely see how Puel sold them on his vision when they met and it aligns with what we are now able and not able to do in the transfer market. It seems like Puel thrives on building a squad/club and I think we are blessed in that sense because it was sorely needed and I imagine he is heavily involved in all aspects of our future strategy, or at least he should be! I think longer-term, he is tailor made for a director of football type role, and perhaps that will be his eventual destination - maybe with us! 

I think he is right to come out like this, but many of the criticisms still ring true and hopefully as well as offering up explanations and lowering expectations, he will also be working very hard on addressing those as well. I still see no reason for some of his selections, especially in the cup competitions as well as some of his in-game decisions. These have nothing to do with budgets or expectations, and he needs to start getting those basics right and shake off what I see as misguided stubbornness. 

My other concerns are that of player unrest and falling out with other staff members, which may just be rumours, but if true, also needs to rectified by him quickly if he wants to stay here long-term to see his project through. 

I think the style of football is also a valid criticism but I do think he requires this window, but more importantly perhaps the summer one as well depending how we finish this season. If he is able to bring in 3-4 players, then everything may click together and we will see possession that is genuinely effective. If not, then no excuses and he must accept his style is too negative/ineffective. 

He should be given to the end of the season and probably the summer too if he manages to keep us around 8th. I can certainly see the argument for him needing another window or two to get a handful more of the players he needs to make his style work, but beyond that he really has no more valid excuses. 

Good luck Puel! At the end of the day, very few fans would disagree with his ethos of developing young players and being successful that way. Easier said than done though and he also needs to take a look at himself and be more flexible/adaptable! 

• Like 1

He shouldn't have to justify himself at all imho. I think if people could put their feelings about his personality to one side and be objective you can't really come to any other than conclusion that he's done a decent job.

Don't forget that when Riyad left there were real fears that we'd hardly create anything and we may even by fighting relegation. Claude has done well to mitigate that by playing pragmatic football. I get that it's not always great to watch (and I agree, but I can live with that) but he was absolutely right to focus on defending and maximising the strengths we do have.

He's not my favourite LCFC manager of all time but I can see that his pragmatism has got us to 7th with a younger squad while reducing the wage bill considerably. Surely, even if you don't like the guy, you can appreciate that the club is in a decent position and therefore calls for him to be sacked are unjustified?

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, woddyuk said:

I don't know... because we don't have unlimited oil money to pay for players?

There is only one club we can aspire to and that's Spurs at they have done it on a budget... but that budget still outstrips ours and they were in a far better starting point than we were in the process. Plus they fluked the best striker in the country from their youth system. Without him they wouldn't be where they are.

Do you know what club teams of a similar size to us look up to? Us. Because most know without silly money that's their ceiling, where we currently are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

The biggest problem I  foresee is that as soon as players like Maguire, Chilly and Maddison start to mature they’ll obviously attract attention from the upper echelons of the PL. Whilst its good business to sell these players on at huge profit, it will surely hamper progress. Therefore I believe where pretty much destined at best to be occuping a place between the top 6 and mid table. 

Nothing we can do will change that, so the quicker people get their noggins around it the better.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Apart from 6-8 month under Ranieri, when have we ever played scintillating cavalier football in the Premier League? Even under O'Neil we were hard to watch but granted  we won cups and finished top half, but the actual football was not great.

This is a really good post. Where we are today really reminds me of the MON era. In those days we were solid and resolute but mediocre at best to watch. In fact a bit like today, the seasons where we got knocked out of the cups early were boring because we had nothing to play for. Good enough to stay up but not good enough to compete. Of course MON goes down as one of our greatest ever managers! Though expectations were very different back then. 

Compared to MON, Puel is really dour but I think we have way more potential than back then. MON was widely regarded as over performing with us throughout his tenure and it wasn’t really possible to kick onto  the next level. But with Puel he’s got us starting to play technical football and is blooding the young players. So we *could* reach the next level this time around. 

• Like 2

The difference between now and MoN is the underdog status we had then. We were tagged boring, boring Leicester because we’d soak up pressure and nick goals off set pieces. We revelled in that we got underneath the skin of the top clubs. There’s not an awful lot changed there 

7 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

For getting knocked out of the cup by Newport? Me too!

Irritated by getting knocked out by Newport which was avoidable IMO and yes, I've criticised Puel for that team selection.

But embarrassed by our some of our fans that seem to think that seventh isn't good enough, that don't have the patience to see a transitional phase for what it is, for not understanding the rebuilding job that is underway for not appreciating where we are and where we've come from and for turning on a manager because he's not Peter Ustinov in his press conferences.  

I know it's not scintillating football for the most part but a Leicester City manager having to come out and publicly defend himself when we are sitting seventh in the PL is ridiculous.  Yes, I'm embarrassed.  it makes us look like a load of spoilt ingrates and frankly, more than a little bit thick.

If many get their wish and Puel gets the boot, how long before they turn on the next one and then the next one.  It could easily go down the pan with the wrong appointment.  I bet Leeds and Villa thought that they were established.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

We have so much dead wood that need to shipped out. It's a long tedious task but it has to be done. We have signed one bad player sfter another since 2016 and it has caught up with us. Our wage bill is huge and we are paying big wages to players who are not contributing. Puel is trying to sort that out and he is doing that whilst keeping us top half. 

Puel will do down as the most underrated LCFC manager of all time when he leaves. The vitriol get gets is quite frankly disgraceful. 

Apart from 6-8 month under Ranieri, when have we ever played scintillating cavalier football in the Premier League? Even under O'Neil we were hard to watch but granted  we won cups and finished top half, but the actual football was not great.

It started under Pearson to stay up and ended when we got mullered by Arsenal and we brought in the defensive minded players. After that the football a few games aside wasn't even that good. We were winning and frankly that's all that mattered, the backs to the wall 30% posession and nick a goal stuff was a ****ing drag when we weren't.

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The difference between now and MoN is the underdog status we had then. We were tagged boring, boring Leicester because we’d soak up pressure and nick goals off set pieces. We revelled in that we got underneath the skin of the top clubs. There’s not an awful lot changed there 

I'm surprised that people are saying that we were boring under O'Neill.  That's not my memory of it.  We were a good side and I enjoyed watching us play.  We had one of the best crossers in the game in Guppy and flair with Heskey and Izzet.

That 'boring, boring Leicester' thing came from an away League Cup semi final with Villa.  John Gregory said that we never crossed the half way line as if we should have made it easy for them.  In the return leg we battered them.  It was only 1-0 but we had chance after chance and it was the Leicester fans singing 'boring, boring, Leicester' ironically.

Edited by murphy