Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm surprised that people are saying that we were boring under O'Neill.  That's not my memory of it.  We were a good side and I enjoyed watching us play.  We had one of the best crossers in the game in Guppy and flair with Heskey and Izzet.

That 'boring, boring Leicester' thing came from an away League Cup semi final with Villa.  John Gregory said that we never crossed the half way line as if we should have made it easy for them.  In the return leg we battered them.  It was only 1-0 but we had chance after chance and it was the Leicester fans singing 'boring, boring, Leicester'.

I’m saying we are boring, just we were tagged that way. Like you’ve described we have a crosser of the ball in a similar league to Guppy (Albrighton) and flair aplenty (some brilliant goals). 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’m saying we are boring, just we were tagged that way. Like you’ve described we have a crosser of the ball in a similar league to Guppy (Albrighton) and flair aplenty (some brilliant goals). 

No I don't think we were.  It was only Gregory that said it that one time and Leicester fans adopted it when we played well.

I don't think that we were considered a boring team generally.

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

No I don't think we were.  It was only Gregory that said it that one time and Leicester fans adopted it when we played well.

I don't think that we were considered a boring team generally.

Remember it all over the press at the time. 

By the way I meant I don’t think we were boring 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

12 hours ago, kingfox said:

He's stated exactly the same things I've stated all season :whistle:

We're a young developing side going through a transition stage, he's mentioned many times in that article about youth, the youth we have need time to develop. A key point he made is that in 3-4 years time these players will be better, these players might be able to compete against the big teams on a more regular basis, we might even break into the top six. 

And here is the big flaw in the argument: in 3-4 years the best players will already be playing for the top 6 because they will have lost patience with this development plan. What you and he are advocating in effect, is permanent transition - Southampton under Pochettino - at best finding lots of great players  for the big  clubs to acquire when the time is right. 

And what hat kind of experience is that for supporters? The odd great performance, mostly ground out results, the aspiration to avoid relegation and not get too mixed up in the Cup competitions:::that’ll sell season tickets...

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He says all the right things but his execution of this long term plan of his is, at times, beyond baffling.

I think that is a valid point. It is easy for any manager to come in and declare their long-term goal for success. However, there has to come a point when you decide - great vision, wrong person to try get us there!

For me personally, that time hasn't come yet and may not even until after the summer, but he certainly doesn't get a free pass just because his long-term vision sounds great! 

He also isn't the only Manager out there who can develop/promote youth whilst also transitioning us to a footballing side! 

Interested to see how we finish the season. I certainly don't expect any miracles, especially with a reported tight budget and lack of in-comings - but he should certainly be able to keep us around 7th/8th, whilst also demonstrating in a good handful of games, that his style and system can be effective at breaking down stubborn defences. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

And here is the big flaw in the argument: in 3-4 years the best players will already be playing for the top 6 because they will have lost patience with this development plan. What you and he are advocating in effect, is permanent transition - Southampton under Pochettino - at best finding lots of great players  for the big  clubs to acquire when the time is right. 

And what hat kind of experience is that for supporters? The odd great performance, mostly ground out results, the aspiration to avoid relegation and not get too mixed up in the Cup competitions:::that’ll sell season tickets...

Those players have all signed long term contracts, if we sell, we sell but we aren't going to let these players go for peanuts, if Maguire or Chilwell leave for example you'd be looking at 50-60 million. We are a stubborn side when it comes to selling our best players, look at the Mahrez situation.

"The aspiration to avoid relegation" lol  So many fans like yourself are impatient, this is a young side which will obviously have ups and downs, what are you expecting from this side right now? Champions League qualification? Top Six? If you are then you're deluded.

You look at Everton for example, spunking money on the likes of Richarlison and others but yet again they find themselves in an average situation. Puel's philosophy is to buy and nurture youth and so far he's done alright, we're 7th, the best of the rest atm, that is a pleasing situation to be in.

The reason Puel used Everton/ West Ham/ Wolves as examples is because they are our competition for position in the table, however I think what he is eluding to is the unsustainable manner in which they have and are utilising the transfer market, and are trying to buy instant or short-term success.

This isn't our plan, and we are attempting to prepare for a model that generates both players for the team, and some for financial profit where necessary. But a strategy that hopefully can generate team stability, cohesion, and longevity.

I for one, am glad that our owners are able, due to our success to implement this plan, and aren't easily swayed by a loud vocal minority who are unable to get their heads around this, and don't want to rationalise, use context, or look beyond a stance that doesn't meet their short-termist expectations.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, murphy said:

Irritated by getting knocked out by Newport which was avoidable IMO and yes, I've criticised Puel for that team selection.

But embarrassed by our some of our fans that seem to think that seventh isn't good enough, that don't have the patience to see a transitional phase for what it is, for not understanding the rebuilding job that is underway for not appreciating where we are and where we've come from and for turning on a manager because he's not Peter Ustinov in his press conferences.  

I know it's not scintillating football for the most part but a Leicester City manager having to come out and publicly defend himself when we are sitting seventh in the PL is ridiculous.  Yes, I'm embarrassed.  it makes us look like a load of spoilt ingrates and frankly, more than a little bit thick.

If many get their wish and Puel gets the boot, how long before they turn on the next one and then the next one.  It could easily go down the pan with the wrong appointment.  I bet Leeds and Villa thought that they were established.

I think it’s been established now that nobody dislikes Puel for our league position,it’s a miracle we are 7th though and highly unlikely if we keep playing as we are that we will finish there I still don’t think we’ll get top 10.

2 hours ago, chapero82 said:

West Brom and Stoke did it Puel’s way and look where they ended up...

Don't be daft.

Everything was short-term with Pulis and Hughes- stay up at all costs. We're investing in the infrastructure and Puel is developing young players with an eye on improving and growing in the future rather than focusing solely on individual results, it's the total opposite. 

That's before you even factor in that we don't play hoofball and we're higher than either of those ever got.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Don't be daft.

Everything was short-term with Pulis and Hughes- stay up at all costs. We're investing in the infrastructure and Puel is developing young players with an eye on improving and growing in the future rather than focusing solely on individual results, it's the total opposite. 

That's before you even factor in that we don't play hoofball and we're higher than either of those ever got.

That was such a weird comparison from him lol 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think that is a valid point. It is easy for any manager to come in and declare their long-term goal for success. However, there has to come a point when you decide - great vision, wrong person to try get us there!

For me personally, that time hasn't come yet and may not even until after the summer, but he certainly doesn't get a free pass just because his long-term vision sounds great! 

He also isn't the only Manager out there who can develop/promote youth whilst also transitioning us to a footballing side! 

Interested to see how we finish the season. I certainly don't expect any miracles, especially with a reported tight budget and lack of in-comings - but he should certainly be able to keep us around 7th/8th, whilst also demonstrating in a good handful of games, that his style and system can be effective at breaking down stubborn defences. 

I'm happy to give him until the summer.  If he's given until the summer, he'll still be here right into next season which is plenty of time to see this long term vision of his begin to take shape.

He's got an important window ahead of him in the summer - he's got to replace backup midfield positions at the very least, or look to better Ndidi and Mendy if he can, and bring in a few forwards to add competition and support for Vardy.  

If he gets this right, and his system of playing improves as a result of getting his players in, then I'm all for him.  If he can find a way to unlock 11 men behind a ball teams as well then all the better.

It's just very, very frustrating to see him take a couple of steps forward and then three or four in the opposite direction from game to game which, imo, are down to more than just inconsistent performances from the players alone.

Ive been on the fence at times with whats going on. Heart telling me he is doing the right thing for long term domination but seeing us play at times hurts badly lol  he has my full support for the rest of the season and we can judge then how well things go. Hope we do well!