Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Quick Brown Fox

Southampton Home post match, 1-2 loss.

6 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Puel’s philosophy is a system that is not suited to even our ‘best players’ let alone the obvious poor players. In this system our ‘best players’ have major flaws: 

- Maguire is defensively suspect and error prone.

The opposition get some pace and movement around him and the chances will create themselves. 

Puels philosophy requires your defenders to be good in 1v1 situations, because you could be caught on the counter if you lose possession.

- Chilwell can’t cross. 

The opposition know they’re in no danger when he takes up crossing positions. Vardy won’t outjump CB’s and we rarely have enough bodies in the box. 

Puel’s philosophy requires attacking fullbacks with good delivery.

- Ndidi can’t pass.

The opposition don’t even need to press him. They know he will either make the obvious backwards/sideway pass or lose the ball. 

Puel’s philosophy requires us to keep the ball. We can’t do that if our CM’s are always misplacing their passes.

- James Maddison’s idea of creativity is dropping deep and passing 5 yards. 

The opposition are thinking oh this is great. Leicester’s supposedly most creative outlet isn’t even near our goal most of the time. 

Puel’s philosohy requi-... To be honest we’re so lost in attack I don’t even know what the game plan is going forward. I think Maddison naturally likes to drop deep, regardless of the system.. Just like how Vardy likes to stay on the shoulder. Both styles are detrimental whatever the system, because how can we expect them to link up when one sits on the last defender and the other is standing in the center circle. 

- Vardy doesn’t contribute with the build up. 

The opposition can sit back knowing Vardy won’t do anything with his back to goal. 

Puel’s philosophy requi-... See Maddison above. 

Overall, a poor squad needs a system built around them to get the best out of them. Puel has done the opposite and stuck to a system that doesn’t suit the players, but suit’s his vision. Obviously the question now is should Puel continue the rebuilding process and carry out his vision, or do we pray and hope Rudders finds a manager that will bring the best out of the key players above. To be honest I feel a bit ‘meh’ either way. 

Spot on in my eyes. We clearly needed a new direction from the 15/16 style that every team sussed out. Now we've bought in a guy who has a style of football different to that but no player we have is any good at it - at the moment. Now we either give him more time and hope he knows what he's doing and these performances slowly get better. Or we bring in someone who can get the best out of the players we currently have and find a system to fit them.

54 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

So, everyone's overreacting to fine margins. Not great first half, second half far better. There's a clear penalty not given on Vardy about 3 minutes after Ndidi scores. Referee gets a decision right for once and gives that, I don't doubt we win. 

A few poor performances first half (Albrighton and Mendy) which Puel correctly identified and changed. As Claude said in the week, y'all need a reality check.

Also, shout out to the "fan" stood next to me (SK1, MM, seat 6). Not chanting, shouting abuse at Chilwell and Grey every time a cross was part cleared and that we need it to hoof it to Vardy because that's how we won the title, then making more noise at the end booing and shouting Puel Out. You're everything wrong with the clubs fanbase

Fine margins? WTF  physician heals they self. :dunno:

I've been on the fence about Puel since Palace, but I don't dock him any points for today.  After beating Chelsea, Man City + Everton with a 433 and losing to Cardiff with 4231, I saw MANY people on here wanting to stick to 433 against "lesser" opposition.  Horrible passing and individual errors in the first half result in being down 2-0 at HT.  He makes the right 2 subs, and we go for it.

My main gripe with Puel is his stubborness and I actually think he's shown signs of being adaptable the past few games - first by going to 433 in the first place, then sticking with it today.  But he certainly has a ways to go.  Would really love to see 352 in games like this.

Is Chilwell capable of taking contact without bitching at the ref for a minute afterwards? I'll happily take our 80-100 mil for him + Maddison when the time comes.

Morgan was great today - again.  Thought Barnes played well too.  I don't know if it was just me but Chilwell seemed very hesitant to play the ball to Barnes, he was making runs constantly but not being found.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Kasper is turning into a real liability. Great at 1 on 1 saves, but piss poor at all other aspects of keeping this season

Just like the people blaming Vardy for our lack of attacking threat, I think we'll be charging down a dead-end street if we start telling ourselves that Kasper Schmeichel is a serious problem. I could go through half of the first team, and a dozen other issues, before I started panicking over those two. Not because they're legends and I've got their posters on my bedroom wall, but because there are more obvious flaws right now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

matchstats.PNG.0964e991ada5c2d36c7e1d5cc09ed7a8.PNG

Only 61%? Blimey I'd have said we had 75% possession, especially playing 7 up front most of second half.

And still only manage to score 1 goal at home against what was a bottom 3side. We have only scored more than 2 goals ALL SEASON against Fleetwood & Huddersfield.  So going 2-0 down didn't bode well.

Felt for Wes, he had a decent game himself, and as the Captain had the balls and respect to go round the stands showing fans appreciation after the game.:appl:

Abject performance today

Apart from his assist it seemed like Perreira and also Maguire were wearing the wrong size boots 

Maddison isn’t as good as he thinks he is

The inability to increase the tempo and at times hit a two yard pass was woeful

Thoroughly pissed off 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Puel seems allergic to signing any creative midfielders though. Maddison aside, he's not overseen a single striker or anyone with an iota of attacking threat. Maddison is suffering a very barren spell as well, his end product is appalling. But his set pieces are the biggest disappointment, he's learnt the art of the floated corner made famous over the years by Paul Gallagher and most recently Matty James. If he doesnt get another forward and/or at least a creative player in by the end of January then I dont see him keeping any fans on his side by the end of the season. Most fans only get to watch us when we play at home and what we are witnessing is borderline illegal, its revolting. How anyone can defend him and the football is a better man than me.

Vichai had a dream and it wasnt this.

Didn't he just recall a promising player with huge amounts of attacking threat and then play him for 45 minutes after replacing DM?

It's strange, we are (were) 7th, so in a way top of the league.... let's have a reality check and look at the teams above us. So going into the game today we were top of our other league, if you like. Even Maguire I remember said this at the start of the season, that the players are looking at it like that and they want to be the best of the rest. 

So it should be happy days, aside from being out of both cups, our league position realistically, this season, cannot be improved?

But then why do I get so frustrated with Puel? I don't know what it is. We beat Chelsea away and take 3 points off 'em. We beat the reigning champions at home and take 3 points off 'em.

In a way we can play against teams who come at us and attack us, but we have no way of playing against a team who goes 1 or 2 goals up against us, and sit 6 at the back and 4 across the middle of the pitch. 

I can't quite work out why we can't do this, or do other teams struggle against park the bus sides like us, do you think? 

Perplexing.

Edited by smr

Guest seanfox778
16 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

I’ve had enough now.

But if they sack him, who will they bring in right now?  Big Sam?  Gary Rowett?  Jose?  **** that.

Let him just see the season through and get rid immediately to re-build in the summer.

The football under him is terrible to watch.  We don’t have players who can do what he wants (so, as a manager, why can’t he change the tactics and play to their strengths?)

We’re 8th, but we could be higher and we need to be able to break down teams like Southampton and Cardiff ... and ****ing Newport County.

That’s his only saving grace at the minute. I can’t think of a decent manager who will come to us.

7 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Just like the people blaming Vardy for our lack of attacking threat, I think we'll be charging down a dead-end street if we start telling ourselves that Kasper Schmeichel is a serious problem. I could go through half of the first team, and a dozen other issues, before I started panicking over those two. Not because they're legends and I've got their posters on my bedroom wall, but because there are more obvious flaws right now.

Kasper's kicking cost us the first goal. And he's been appalling all season in that department with no improvement in sight. So yes although he is a legend he is at the moment a liability.

Puel surely has to go now. I'm sick to death of our home performances - setting up over-defensively, poor passing, lack of tempo, sideways/backwards passing, aimless crosses into the box. I can't make my mind up if the players are unfit or just not buying into Puel's style of play but there is a distinct lack of sharpness about their play - Barnes stood out for me in the 2nd half because he looked a whole lot sharper.

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Are we just ignoring mendy from your list then? 

Maddison picked the ball up most and at least drove at the defence and found space. Yes he needed to step up, as did 10 other players on that pitch. Don't scapegoat him.

Mendy's mistakes cost us, simple as that, there's nothing more to say on that matter.

Players like James Maddison though should be stepping up, I picked him out especially because he was fvcking garbage.

His product today was diabolical, he is our main creator yet he created sod all, I'm not going to let him off because he's young and supposedly talented. 

He rightfully deserves criticism tonight.

26 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Overall, a poor squad needs a system built around them to get the best out of them. Puel has done the opposite and stuck to a system that doesn’t suit the players, but suit’s his vision. Obviously the question now is should Puel continue the rebuilding process and carry out his vision, or do we pray and hope Rudders finds a manager that will bring the best out of the key players above. To be honest I feel a bit ‘meh’ either way. 

You've hit the nail on the head.

Were we to find another manager who fits with our academy vision, then I wouldn't be adversed to a new manager.

But to sack a manager when we're in the top half of the table, after we've beat Man City and Chelsea, and as we're seeing the first blossoms of the academy reach the first team, would be madness.