Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PoshhFox

Puel In / Out Poll (12/01/19)

Puel In / Out poll (12/01/19)  

940 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

13 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

If that is true, and if it was true under Ranieri (which I doubt in both instances) then the players can sod off as far as I'm concerned, because it will keep happening no matter who the manager is.

There are lots of problems with this theory.

Firstly, because both the players and Ranieri said it wasn't true.

Secondly, even if these denials were a case of saving face, there's little doubt that Claudio was erratic in his final season and perhaps senior players were voicing reasonable concerns. If you take the view that players aren't supposed to act on their concerns for the club, then Vichai, Top and Rudkin would have to be responsible for encouraging this.

Thirdly, many of the players reported to have undermined Ranieri were the same players who were reported to be most supportive of Shakespeare.

Fourthly, when reports emerged of anti-Puel dressing room discontent early in 2018, the supposedly ITK journalists said that the players responsible were not the old guard. So it's worth remembering that our squad is very different now to the one which dealt with our title hangover.

And finally, because the current first teamers who were present under Ranieri, and were suspected of having a role in his downfall, have been among Puel's best performers. Schmeichel received a FIFA nomination in 2018. Vardy scored 20 goals out of nothing last season, the single greatest reason for Puel still being in a job, and sealed the wins over Chelsea and Everton which did so much for cementing his position. Albrighton's work-rate has never been in question and he's had, last two games aside, a decent season. Morgan has defied the years and arguably been our best defender this season - in a decent defence, too. I'd be looking to more recent acquisitions like Iheanacho, Ghezzal, Silva, Iborra, Maguire and Slimani as examples of players who have either let Puel down on the pitch, or failed to provide decent alternatives.

All in all, as much as people might feel that there's no smoke without fire, there simply isn't enough evidence, and the theory doesn't make enough sense for us to be critical of the longer-serving players.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

There's lots of problems with this theory.

Firstly, because both the players and Ranieri said it wasn't true.

Secondly, even if these denials were a case of saving face, there's little doubt that Claudio was erratic in his final season and perhaps senior players were voicing reasonable concerns. If you take the view that players aren't supposed to act on their concerns for the club, then Vichai, Top and Rudkin would have to be responsible for encouraging this.

Thirdly, many of the players reported to have undermined Ranieri were the same players who were reported to be most supportive of Shakespeare.

Fourthly, when reports emerged of anti-Puel dressing room discontent early in 2018, the supposedly ITK journalists said that the players responsible were not the old guard. So it's worth remembering that our squad is very different now to the one which dealt with our title hangover.

And finally, because the current first teamers who were present under Ranieri, and were suspected of having a role in his downfall, have been among Puel's best performers. Schmeichel received a FIFA nomination in 2018. Vardy scored 20 goals out of nothing last season, the single greatest reason for Puel still being in a job, and sealed the wins over Chelsea and Everton which did so much for cementing his position. Albrighton's work-rate has never been in question and he's had, last two games aside, a decent season. Morgan has defied the years and arguably been our best defender this season - in a decent defence, too. I'd be looking to more recent acquisitions like Iheanacho, Ghezzal, Silva, Iborra, Maguire and Slimani as examples of players who have either let Puel down on the pitch, or failed to provide decent alternatives.

All in all, as much as people might feel that there's no smoke without fire, there simply isn't enough evidence, and the theory doesn't make enough sense for us to be critical of the longer-serving players.

Come on be honest...

You was determined to have a pop at Maguire....so created a nice cover story...:ph34r:

13 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

It’s a strange one for me, I am a Puel outer but a reluctant one for a few different reasons:

Positives:

1. Building a young team for the future 

2. Has made a couple of decent signings in soyuncu ( probably spelt that wrong), Evans, Maddison and ricardo

3. Decent league position
4. Improved the defence
5. Stopped us conceding from every other set piece
6. Done better than expected with loss of most exciting and creative player

Negatives:

1. I think he lacks the ability to motivate the squad to get a result as shown by some of the lacklustre performances e.g. Cardiff and Newport How motivated were - Debatable.

2. He makes some basic errors with them selection and substitutes  Show me a manager who doesn't.

3. His stubbornness when it comes to playing his way which is isolating our attack - Debatable.

4. His attitude and lack of ambition he comes across a lot of the time as though he doesn’t care which he may well do but he doesn’t show it and I think that attitude is reflecting in our performances, linking back to the motivation point. As well as this he seems to lack ambition yes it may well be unrealistic for us to get top 6 this season but you have to have something to aim for suggesting that we should be happy to finish behind Wolves who only came up this season is settaling for mediocracy. Who said we should be happy to finish behind wolves? You don't know what internal targets are... targets are different to expectations. You can set high targets whilst also being realistic in what can be achieved.

5. His stubbornness in the transfer market with his refusal to bring people in when we have obvious gaps in the squad You don't know the budget, even if there is one.

6. The atmosphere he is bringing to the club is making it toxic and without a change in manager I’m not sure how that will change. Fans make it toxic, he's just trying to do his job. The football can rub off onto the crowd and make things flat, but it's the fans decision to make things toxic.

7. The football is bland

All this being said I will never boo the team or the manager as I don’t think this is productive. I hope that he manages to turn things around and prove me wrong. But overall my view is at the moment is that he has the right vision but is the wrong person to implement it. At the moment I am still willing to give him until the end of the season but he makes it really hard to continue to support him especially after his most recent interview.

28 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Been told he's a goner. 

Source is pretty tenuous and sounds like hearsay to me, but there you go. 

Apparently will be out the door within 2 weeks.

Makes sense that he has up to the Manchester United (h) Match to save his job...

55 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Been told he's a goner. 

Source is pretty tenuous and sounds like hearsay to me, but there you go. 

Apparently will be out the door within 2 weeks.

I think what makes me laugh is someone on a wind up a few hours ago said he’d been sacked on another forum. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s done the rounds and ended up as your “source” lol 

He won’t go until end of season unless we are in a relegation scrap. 

2 minutes ago, shiv said:

I think what makes me laugh is someone on a wind up a few hours ago said he’d been sacked on another forum. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s done the rounds and ended up as your “source” lol 

He won’t go until end of season unless we are in a relegation scrap. 

I was told last night.

15 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

It’s a strange one for me, I am a Puel outer but a reluctant one for a few different reasons:

Positives:

1. Building a young team for the future 

2. Has made a couple of decent signings in soyuncu ( probably spelt that wrong), Evans, Maddison and ricardo

3. Decent league position

Negatives:

1. I think he lacks the ability to motivate the squad to get a result as shown by some of the lacklustre performances e.g. Cardiff and Newport 

2. He makes some basic errors with them selection and substitutes 

3. His stubbornness when it comes to playing his way which is isolating our attack

4. His attitude and lack of ambition he comes across a lot of the time as though he doesn’t care which he may well do but he doesn’t show it and I think that attitude is reflecting in our performances, linking back to the motivation point. As well as this he seems to lack ambition yes it may well be unrealistic for us to get top 6 this season but you have to have something to aim for suggesting that we should be happy to finish behind Wolves who only came up this season is settaling for mediocracy

5. His stubbornness in the transfer market with his refusal to bring people in when we have obvious gaps in the squad

6. The atmosphere he is bringing to the club is making it toxic and without a change in manager I’m not sure how that will change.

All this being said I will never boo the team or the manager as I don’t think this is productive. I hope that he manages to turn things around and prove me wrong. But overall my view is at the moment is that he has the right vision but is the wrong person to implement it. At the moment I am still willing to give him until the end of the season but he makes it really hard to continue to support him especially after his most recent interview.

Good balanced post. However I do feel the scrutiny of his interview on Saturday is harsh as I’ve already said. It was a case of lost in translation + manipulative reporter. 

35 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm usually pro-patience but it isn't as simple as patience always yielding results.

Pearson was given patience because it was clear to many (granted, he had his fair share of pressure) that we were playing well without getting the results. Huth came in and the rest is history.

Puel won't be given patience because his framework is not working and it doesn't look like changing. You always had the feeling during the tough times under Pearson that we were nearly there, that we just needed a bit more luck, or that one player could be the difference. You always had hope. I think the problem for many fans is that they can't see a future under Puel. There is no hope and this is conceivably as good as it can ever be under Puel. 7th and poor football.

A lot of folk are getting worked up about 7th being a false position. I can see both sides. The table doesn't lie. However, I think everyone gets the feeling that teams below us are going in the opposite direction to us, and it isn't positive. 7th has been our highest position and that was after 2 abnormal results. The grand scheme of how well we're playing means it's highly unlikely that we'll maintain 7th. I think everyone gets the feeling we're drifting hopelessly towards 12th.

That's kind of what I am saying. We're so focused on the individual results in the short term. Surely the majority would not be saying Puel needs to go after we beat Man City, Chelsea and Everton. But we lose against Newport, and then again against Southampton and people want him out. 

Yet i don't see the specific things people think he should change. What player is he not playing that will unlock defenses when teams sit back? What formation or style should we be playing? Everyone wants to play the "Leicester way" of pressing and counterattacking, but that's not going to work when the opposition sits back and concedes possession. 

What would a different manager in his position do, and how different would our league position be? That's what I struggle with. If there's a better option, i'd be all ears. But what mid table teams usually do when they fire their manager is hire a retread manager that has been around the league. In the short term the team plays better, but over time they typically do worse. Also, how many managers would be clamoring to get the Leicester job when we sack Puel for being 8th in the table? 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 1

I think we'll hold on to Puel until the right replacement is lined up. Hopefully the club have finally learnt their lesson in regards to sacking managers and THEN looking for a replacement.

Having said that, this is Jon Rudkin, so...

Puel in for the remainder of the season. Reevaluate in the summer.

For me, Puel is doing a great job on the off-the-field stuff. Our youth prospects are coming on well and getting game-time where warranted, we've brought in new players - the majority of whom have been a success - and started to move on some of the bloated squad which have been holding us back financially with their wages.

The on-field stuff is obviously poor, but we're still comfortably mid-table during a transition year, which is respectable if underwhelming. We've had glimpses of good performances where we look like a team capable of being best-of-the-rest, or more.

Where we've struggled is execution. We've been slow and lethargic at home, but its clear to see from Puel's behaviour that isnt what he wants to see, so something isn't making its way from the training ground into matches. Partly Puel's fault of course, but the (often inexperienced) players have to shoulder some blame.

FWIW I think Puel did most things right on Saturday. We more or less agreed in the match thread that it was our best XI, and all three substitutions were at the right time and the right players. We dominated chances but just couldn't score, which is a recurring theme and not helped by Vardy being poor lately. I certainly don't agree with the woman sat next to me who was screaming obscenities at the Frenchman for everything he did 'wrong', such as replacing tired defensive players with attacking options, or having the audacity to let Mendy/Kasper cause us to fall 2-down at the break.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Puel go, and if there was a decent replacement (with similar philosophy for youth development) lined up then I would concede that's probably the right move, but there isn't.

So on that basis, Puel in (for now).

• Like 1