Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How did Barnes do?

Just now, DennisNedry said:

I felt sorry for him really.

Imagine being ripped away from a club playing exciting high scoring football, playing with players you know, and at a club that's on the up at the minute.

And being plonked in a situation where you're 0-2 down, playing against a Soton brick wall in a hostile environment where you hardly know the players and every misplaced shot/pass is met with groans.

He'll have loved it, we are his club and it's the level every young player wants to play at. West Brom would be taken apart back in the PL, their fans arent at all enamoured by what Darren Moore is doing. From the outside looking in that'll make people laugh, but a bit like us with Puel all is not well.

3 minutes ago, Frost said:

Thought as much myself. 

Here's hoping Bournemouth come back with a £25m for Gray like they did a couple of windows ago.

You missed the . From in between the 2 & 5. 

Barnes showed a few flashes but he was playing in a free flowing team at West Brom. We must remember that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I felt sorry for him really.

Imagine being ripped away from a club playing exciting high scoring football, playing with players you know, and at a club that's on the up at the minute.

And being plonked in a situation where you're 0-2 down, playing against a Soton brick wall in a hostile environment where you hardly know the players and every misplaced shot/pass is met with groans.

I think a lot of the fans, myself included, made a special effort to encourage him and applaud him.

he got into some great positions, looked full of beans and eager to impress, which is something we are desperately in need of at the moment. I would consider starting him Purely based on that, the fact that he has a point to prove and will work hard.

Edited by dooflip
  • Like 2

Did pretty much **** all. Which wasn't exactly his fault.

But as he's the saviour people will give silly cliches about him "looking lively"

But in truth, you barely noticed he was there and he didn't make any impact to the game.

Not that he shouldn't be encouraged or won't be great in the future, but let's not be silly and give meaningless platitudes to his performance.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

Posted this in the post-game thread.  Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

He did seem to only pass to him as a last resort. @Foxy-Lady do you know if they get on from the academy days as they must have played together a fair bit? Suppose if he’s threatening Grays place Chilwell might not be keen :rolleyes:

Encouraging ! Looks to be full of confidents, some nice passes and movement. Looked to push forward. Just needs to gel with the team, but thats easier said than done with a muppet like puel managing as who nows what team or formation he will adopt from game to game. Only thing that could be a problem is puels incompetence, recalling the lad back from Westbrom and benching him every game.

We did the same with him as England did with Vardy. 

Brought him on when we were in the shit , told him to stay wide on the left wing and try  win us the game from there . What else would you do with a striker? ? ;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

I really worry about Harvey coming back. He is such a superb player with flair, imagination, enthusiasm, skill, attacking intent and even goals. Did you see Jeff Stellings' video of his WBA goals? Absolutely stunning - all of the oooohs and aaaahs from the panel.

But I remember seeing a very, very similiar collection of highlights from a young man of equal promise - a certain James Maddison.

But he has had all that drive and enthusiasm and freedom sucked out by this dour and boring regime; and is now only a shadow of the player we signed.

Such a shame - two of the most promising young players in the game being ruined by Puelball.

Or maybe the Premier League is a bit harder than the Championship.

Maddison stilll has 5 goals and 3 assists in half a season in the prem though, so perhaps not as bleak as you suggest.  You do realise that real games are not the same as highlight reels don't you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Looked lively. Sometimes was ignored by other players though, particularly Chilwell who decided to lose the ball instead.

I'd throw him in the team straight the way. Cant do worse than anyone else.

This is exactly what I thought too. To add to this I would also say that sometimes he wasn't on the same wavelength as the other players, e.g. he'd make a run when the passer was checking back, or vice versa. The irony here being, that I thought Barnes' runs were often the much better decision than the one the person on the ball decided to take!

He already looked miles better than the young man we saw at the end of last season. As you say I would whack him in the first team myself personally too.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Did pretty much **** all. Which wasn't exactly his fault.

But as he's the saviour people will give silly cliches about him "looking lively"

But in truth, you barely noticed he was there and he didn't make any impact to the game.

Not that he shouldn't be encouraged or won't be great in the future, but let's not be silly and give meaningless platitudes to his performance.

Agree, thought he did OK and he's an option, but had little impact.

Someone described him as "amazing" which again shows how mental our fan base can be when it comes to young players or ones we are pinning hopes on.

Lacking a bit of confidence to be brave but given the circumstances that was expected

chilwell and him will have to strike up an understanding. Problem is that if he wants to hug the touchline to receive the ball then he is occupying the space Chilwell wants to drive into ...... it will be sorted ( well it should be but i don’t have much faith in the coaching staff having watched that rubbish today) 

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

In 45 mins of football?

Does your doctor know you've escaped?

Hey! Never said he's ruined him YET!!

.....give him a few more games and the lad will be bereft of confidence and will be reluctant to try anything other than sideways and backwards passing.:(

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Seems to have far more about him than any of our wingers at present, think he’ll start next game. Think he needs to be next to vardy whilst Maddison drops deeper to somewhat dictate the game.

Agreed.  I think he got into good positions and was a stud lenght from scoring at one point. He looks exciting.  A week's worth of training and I'd have him starting, maybe just behind Vards as you say.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Seems to have far more about him than any of our wingers at present, think he’ll start next game. Think he needs to be next to vardy whilst Maddison drops deeper to somewhat dictate the game.

This. I think the change is Barnes starting on the left wing, Maddison dropping back as the high point of a midfield three and Mendy to the bench. Effectively a 4-3-3 still, giving Maddison more freedom to drop deeper or to attack.

• Like 1