TK95

Why can't we put away 10 men?!

Not the first time in recent seasons we seem to fail to capitalise on a man advantage!

Diabolical how we conceded a second soon after today 

Because those 10 men sit behind the ball and defend. Our problem for a long time has been playing through a stubborn defence

Because they sat in and we played to their strengths which was heading high crosses clear and passing it around in front of them.

In terms of balance, we've managed to get several positive results with 10 men over the past couple of years so it isn't just an issue for us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

In terms of balance, we've managed to get several positive results with 10 men over the past couple of years so it isn't just an issue for us.

This is true. As has been mentioned in other threads, we manage to thrive when there is a siege mentality feeling hard done by the ref.

Just frustrating we can't seem to rally and take the initiative when the shoe is on the other foot.

11 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Because James Maddison is shit at creating.

But his exactly the same floated corner to no-one in particular really worked today.

18 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He should play as a CM if he wants to drop deep so often. At times Ndidi was further forward then him.. It’s ridiculous, Vardy is already isolated as it is.

I haven’t seen him create chances from deep and I rarely see him make a run into the box or run in behind.

I doubt we’d play him CM so maybe keep him left wing and play Barnes with Vardy. At least then Vardy might get some support alongside him and Maddison can link up with Chilwell.

9 hours ago, kingfox said:

There's too much pressure on just him. What, so we give him the ball and say alright then do something? W can't just rely on one man to do this, especially such an inexperienced/young player. Southampton have a decent holdiing man in Romeu but, unlike our holding men, he actually went forward to.

It's not just us, alot of teams struggle against 10 men who are winning, the mentality if the 10 man team changes to defend and hold what they've got. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Because they sat in and we played to their strengths which was heading high crosses clear and passing it around in front of them.

We are literally getting Leicester'd. We used to do this to every team when we won the league. 

Because we play with Ndidi, Mendy who are only any good at breaking up attacks. They just take the easy ball to feet all the time, they can't dribble, can't shoot, and don't have the vision or composure to help create anything to worry defences.

Unless your a Man.City, when 10 men are behind the balls it's the hardest thing for most teams to break down let alone Us!!

Southampton's defence yesterday was insane second half. Literally all ten of their players camped in the penalty area. Man City, Spurs and Liverpool have the players who given enough time will probably be able to string an intricate move through that and score.  Everyone else would be relying on a shot from outside the box, a lucky break (which we sort of got via ndidis shins) or having enough big lumps in their to hopefully get on the end of a cross. In a nutshell we don't have good enough players to get much more than one goal against that type of well drilled deep defending.

• Like 1

We keep trying to be Manchester City and its not working. We don't have the creativity needed to break teams down with intricate passing.

Common for sides to be lifted when up against it with 10 men.

When Southampton went down to 10 men, if i was Claude i'd be thinking Oh Shiit.

Media and fans expect a comfortable win that rarely happens, anything else is seen as failure.

The thread title sounds like a trainee police officer who asks his manager on duty why they can't put 10 men in prison immediately for showing their 'Puel Out' signs during yesterday's game.

Well we managed to score once. Has anyone considered that it was more Southampton playing well rather than us necessarily playing badly?

4 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Common for sides to be lifted when up against it with 10 men.

When Southampton went down to 10 men, if i was Claude i'd be thinking Oh Shiit.

Media and fans expect a comfortable win that rarely happens, anything else is seen as failure.

Especially when they've got a lead to defend.

We haven’t been particularly creative for ages and I’d argue that was the case in the title win too. Difference was we were able to make use of the few chances we did get and we were dependable at the back so we didn’t concede sloppy goals to put us behind.