Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Who then......

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers being linked in The Sun if we lose on Saturday, just seen on Twitter. So a load of shit then basically.

It probably is but this wider point of "if we lose/ two games to save job" I really don't get. If you don't think he's good enough, what will one result either way actually do?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

Can I add the point that the style Young Boys won the Swiss super league was because Hutter adopted the same style as when Leicester won the title. Up and coming young manager's are now coaching their teams to play the Leicester way. But we have given it up to play sideways backwards posession football which isn't our teams DNA

Ok, but by the premier league's own website we've scored the most goals from fast breaks in the division this season: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/goal_fastbreak and only one fewer so far this than in the whole of 2015/16... Seems like we've not abandoned it, it's just not the only string in our bow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Corky said:

It probably is but this wider point of "if we lose/ two games to save job" I really don't get. If you don't think he's good enough, what will one result either way actually do?

Bert says Rodgers in the summer. I suspect the club’s hireachy have already made up their mind, if we lose a couple on the spin and atmosphere doesn’t improve behind the scenes, we may have an interim manager till the summer.

7 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Has any other team done it better than us in our title winning season though? :wub: 

Probably but less noticeable as most successful teams over the years have been able to vary their attacking style to suit opponents. We weren’t lucky to win the league but we were lucky teams didn’t catch on sooner. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I'd take Bielsa. About to quit Leeds apparently.

It’s a no brainier imo. My only concern is he hasn’t stayed anywhere for long for some time. But his style and ethos would work here and the fans would love it. Much better than Puel, or that average bloke at Celtic.

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Simeone's Athletico Madrid are the ultimate for me. Not just one season either. Year after year of damaging top sides in Europe with only 30% possession. 

That's what they do when facing a big opponent, not the weaker teams. It's illusory to think that AM just have one string to their bow. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Simeone's Athletico Madrid are the ultimate for me. Not just one season either. Year after year of damaging top sides in Europe with only 30% possession. 

Difference being that you don’t get the Cardiff/Southampton style deep blocks with 9 behind the ball over in La Liga

The problem with entertainment is that many of our fans already hate him. The game like Burnley are easily forgotten because we didn't win. Our first 40 againts arsenal are also forgotten, even we could be 3-0 ahead. 

What those people remember is just 'wolves could be 3-0 ahead in first 30'.  ' we can't beat lesser team' newcastle, Cardiff home are forgotten as well. 

Cardiff away, they won by playing shit, their win remembered long. No. Mention of playing ways. Southampton home, we won, by shit games. People remember the shit part 

Even puel entertain us, its won't work. We could lose or draw the way we did againts Burnley and everybody just remember the result. 

• Like 1

If I’m honest, we carry the experiment on until the summer. We don’t have the technical ability in the team that Manchester United have. So “freeing” them to play isn’t going to be more exciting. We suddenly won’t start blowing teams away 3/4/5-0.

At that point, we need to consider if we’ve made progression during that period. If we aren’t online with the timeline, then we make the call then. 

9 hours ago, Mehrez said:

Difference being that you don’t get the Cardiff/Southampton style deep blocks with 9 behind the ball over in La Liga

You do get sides like that. And Athletico don't really play counter attacking against the Eibar's and Legannes of this world. The difference is they have world class forward thinking players like Koke, Greizeman, Lemar and Diego Costa we unfortunately had to sell or only world class forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jim5000 said:

I fired up the demo of Football Manager 2018 last night and selected to manage Leicester.

What struck me when I thought 'I'll fix everything that Puel is doing wrong', is the complete death of options in the squad. Puel is getting our best players onto the pitch, in their best positions, and trying to get them to play a possession based game with counter attacks when possible. I tried to play with wingers, and the fact is we just don't have enough. We have fullbacks and wide forwards. Up front there is nothing but Vardy. Our midfield options completely lack creativity, apart from Maddison. Central defense is the only position where we have genuine options.

There really isn't the personnel to change the formation, but Puel's transfers have been more hit than miss (Maddison, Pereira vs Ghazal). He's promoting the youth and we have a core of the team from the midlands or surrounding areas, players that are breaking into the England squad, and for the first time in 50+ years we are stable in the Premier League.

Given the squad we've got, there's not really much a new manager could do in terms of position, the only thing Puel is lacking is the excitement of play, but that could easily be down to the lack of technical ability within the squad as whole.

We're Leicester, we've only ever been one bad managerial appointment away from relegation. We would be foolish to think it was different now, even given our recent success. If the signings continue in the way of Maddison and Pereira, and the youth keeps developing at the rate it is since Puel started, in 2-3 years we should achieve the consistency to push for European places and maybe keeping pace with the top 4-5 teams.

The only problem is the style of play, and Puel not understanding the fans want to actually be entertained, it's why they are there. If there's anything that provides his downfall, it will be this.

Our unbalanced squad is crying out for 3-4-2-1 but Puel just refuses to give it a chance. Throughout this season, the most inconsistent or non-existent players have been our wingers who are trying to make something happen in a 4-2-3-1 against packed defences and a laborious central midfield behind them, who don't get the ball to them quick enough or incisive enough.

Perhaps a change 3 at the back wouldn't make much of a difference but the flexibility of it is what makes it more desirable to try. Currently I think it would be best with Barnes and Maddison behind Vardy in free roles but it could easily be tinkered to have Iheanacho up top with Vardy and either Maddison or Barnes behind. If we really needed to take the game to a team, Maddison could drop deeper and either Ndidi or Choudhury could play as a 3rd centre half, Choudhury often did this for the U23's where he became the sweeper and allowed Knight and Pascanu or Johnson to push forward with the ball.

Right now both Ghezzal and Gray are in a rut, and Albrighton has seemingly finished his purple patch and is busy flattering to deceive again. Maddison is getting criticism but he's currently the only player in this squad with Barnes that will turn and drive forward or release an early pass. If there's one team we should try this against its Wolves, Puel did have to go 3 at the back against them during the game against them at home and bar the away Arsenal game I think it's the only time he's tried it this season. I think he needs to find something as right now he's on the ropes.

• Like 2