Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mo-rima

Wagner leaves Huddersfield

I feel he was let down by his club in terms of the board and the scouts, I don't know the ins and outs of their budget but he was not given a premier league squad and they haven't plucked many gems from obscurity, there isn't much more he could do with that set of players. Perhaps the logic of a fresh face and fresh ideas may spark them into a bit of life. There are players here and at other clubs not making the bench that would improve that side but wages are a sticking point. At least the club have been sensible by not over stretching though and won't suffer too much if and when they go down.

21 minutes ago, Dames said:

In this instance I don't think it would.

The majority of the discontent is aimed at Puel from 30kish supporters that go to home games and have spent over a year witnessing awful performance after awful performance and relegation form in Home matches. If anything a win away at Wolves would rile those people up even more.

I meant this forum really.  It's a pretty bleak place atm and at least a win might make this negativity dissipate for another week.

I know that the anti-Puel undercurrent won't go away with one win.

Edited by murphy

I've just been reading a few articles on Wagner from fans, ex-players and the press and there is not one bad word to say about the guy. In fact most seem gutted that he's leaving can anyone honestly say that if Puel left anyone would be gutted here?

Edited by nettle

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I wouldn't say no in the future if he goes somewhere else and has some moderate success emulating Klopp's football. 

But the man is taking a break for a reason, he's jaded as **** after one and a half seasons of the Prem, with no expectation, with a chairman that's told him he can get relegated and keep his job. 

That's a warning sign. 

I'm not so sure its that much of a problem as most managers only last about 18 months anyway. If after that long it got too much here we'll have wanted the coont gone anyway and at least he'd have the decency to walk away unlike many managers.

This isn't to say I want him as I'm not convinced he is as good as perceived, everyone can say he's cut his cloth accordingly at Huddersfield but they've spent money and no club should be that heinous in attack.

9 hours ago, Beechey said:

The difference being this. I know which I'd prefer.

Wagner:

Team From To Record  
P W D L Win %
Borussia Dortmund II 1 July 2011 1 November 2015 164 57 47 60 34.8  
Huddersfield Town 9 November 2015 14 January 2019 154 51 33 70 33.1  
Total 318 108 80 130 34.0

Jardim:

Team From To Record
G W D L GF GA GD Win %
Camacha 2003 2008 138 61 34 43 213 162 +51 44.20
Chaves 19 March 2008 15 May 2009 38 22 9 7 60 26 +34 57.89
Beira-Mar 2 June 2009 28 February 2011 66 25 21 20 87 72 +15 37.88
Braga May 2011 June 2012 46 27 10 9 84 45 +39 58.70
Olympiacos 5 June 2012 19 January 2013 22 16 3 3 47 19 +28 72.73
Sporting 20 May 2013 10 June 2014 35 23 8 4 77 28 +49 65.71
Monaco 10 June 2014 11 October 2018 232 125 52 55 438 286 +152 53.88
Career totals 577 299 137 141 1,006 638 +368 51.82

lol so? The win percentage at Jardim's last four clubs is exactly what you'd expect. I've no idea on Dortmund II's standing in German football but what he's done at Huddersfield is remarkable. And re. Huddersfield being low scorers, I thought we'd came to realise that the manager can't do a fat lot about that? I always thought their problem was scoring goals and not so much creating them.

OGS has a good record at Man Utd, should we take him with his 100% record? He's hardly pulled up any trees at Molde over the last few years. With where Huddersfield have been the last 18 months and with the dross they have in their squad their win percentage ain't gonna be good.

18 minutes ago, Walkers said:

lol so? The win percentage at Jardim's last four clubs is exactly what you'd expect. I've no idea on Dortmund II's standing in German football but what he's done at Huddersfield is remarkable. And re. Huddersfield being low scorers, I thought we'd came to realise that the manager can't do a fat lot about that? I always thought their problem was scoring goals and not so much creating them.

OGS has a good record at Man Utd, should we take him with his 100% record? He's hardly pulled up any trees at Molde over the last few years. With where Huddersfield have been the last 18 months and with the dross they have in their squad their win percentage ain't gonna be good.

The fact you compare a sample size of 5 to either Wagner's 318 or Jardim's 577 and thinking it reinforces your point is genuinely hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Huddersfield were a pretty stable Championship side before 2016/17. They were promoted through the playoffs with a negative goal difference, scoring fewer goals than Forest in 21st place, conceding the same number as Wolves in 15th.

They did well to be promoted but to pretend Wagner is even remotely on the same level as Jardim in really any respect is utter lunacy. Wagner had Huddersfield last in the Premier League sat multiple places behind Cardiff City (and 8 points behind).

How can you defend that?

Huddersfield are okay at creating chances? Look at their xG statistics and say that again with a straight face.

Edited by Beechey

56 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Nein, nein, nein!

As much as I like what Wagner has achieved with Huddersfield, I don't believe he's the man to take a club like Leicester forward.

Then again, we've taken a gamble on foreign managers with glasses before.

_84251047_ranieritwitterleicester.jpg

sven.jpg

I want a German/Austrian... I want an aggressive, pressing manager, who is the complete opposite to 'Passive Puel'. Our players and fans need something to cheer/shout about, at the moment, we are timing ourselves to see how long until we yawn

Wagner will now be free, but the statement read last night along the lines of needing 'a break from football'... 

11 hours ago, murphy said:

Yeah, because booing and chanting against the manager is a great way of showing that bond and support.    :rolleyes:

I have not ever booed our own at a game. 

I’m thinking with that retort you have missed my point which was, for clarity;

It can be beneficial for home game’s atmosphere if the manager has a personality that can be appreciated by the fans and a bond between the two engendered.

This is a major flaw in Claude’s management style, something that stems from his personality which is what it is, but it’s to his detriment, as well as the team's, and when mixed with the tedious style of football at home games it’s has resulted in a shit atmosphere at the stadium.

All self inflicted.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

23 minutes ago, Beechey said:

The fact you compare a sample size of 5 to either Wagner's 318 or Jardim's 577 and thinking it reinforces your point is genuinely hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Huddersfield were a pretty stable Championship side before 2016/17. They were promoted through the playoffs with a negative goal difference, scoring fewer goals than Forest in 21st place, conceding the same number as Wolves in 15th.

They did well to be promoted but to pretend Wagner is even remotely on the same level as Jardim in really any respect is utter lunacy.

Gonna have to stop you there, where did I say pretend that? Wagner would have had the 17th best win percentage last season, does that mean he did the 17th best job between all managers? You're comparing somebody who has managed some of the biggest clubs in the country he's managing in and somebody who has ran a B team and ****ing Huddersfield. Of course one of them is going to have a significantly higher WP.

I said I thought (if I can counter your patronising italics with my own) Huddersfield's problem was scoring goals and not so much creating chances. I don't pay that much attention to them. However if you're going to go as far as bringing xG into it then i'm stopping here. You're clearly too hung on stats to look at the bigger picture. Klopp and Guardiola score lots of goals with their clubs, you reckon they could join Huddersfield tomorrow and have them scoring 3+ every week? Put Wagner with a better group of players and you might see different stats and not ones identical to his two previous clubs believe it or not.

My personal preference is that I really don't care. I wouldn't be against him because there aren't standout choices out there but we probably could do better.

Got his team of average players (bar Billing and Mooy) to press better than Liverpool, Man City and Spurs. It’s a yes from me. We’ve got the players to suit to genenpress - Vardy, Ndidi, Mendy, Ricardo, Albrighton, Hamza even Ghezzal has good pressure rates. And I’m sure Barnes will be fine with it, as he’s become more physical in his game at WBA. Vardy would thrive in that system, and Wagner is a big fan of his.

DD0AEC15-884F-47C1-94F9-D66EEA347855.png

Edited by RoyFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

Got his team of average players (bar Billing and Mooy) to press better than Liverpool, Man City and Spurs. It’s a yes from me. We’ve got the players suit to genenpress - Vardy, Ndidi, Mendy, Ricardo, Albrighton, Hamza even Ghezzal has good pressure rates. And I’m sure Barnes will be fine with it, as he’s become more physical in his game at WBA. Vardy would thrive in that system, and Wagner is a big fan of his.

DD0AEC15-884F-47C1-94F9-D66EEA347855.png

But have you seen his win percentage at Dortmund II?

46 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I’m thinking with that retort you have missed my point which was, for clarity;

It can be beneficial for home game’s atmosphere if the manager has a personality that can be appreciated by the fans and a bond between the two engendered.

This is a major flaw in Claude’s management style, something that stems from his personality which is what it is, but it’s to his detriment, as well as the team's, and when mixed with the tedious style of football at home games it’s has resulted in a shit atmosphere at the stadium.

All self inflicted.

No, I get your point, you think that Puel does not engage with fans and lacks charisma.

I agree with that to an extent but the irony of supporters extolling this bond yet completely failing to offer support themselves is not lost on me.

Personally, I support the team and the club more than any one player or manager.  I find it frankly a bit pathetic, that so many fans need to have some kind of metaphorical cuddle from the manager.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, murphy said:

No, I get your point, you think that Puel does not engage with fans and lacks charisma.

I agree with that to an extent but the irony of supporters extolling this bond yet completely failing to offer support themselves is not lost on me.

Personally, I support the team and the club more than any one player or manager.  I find it frankly a bit pathetic, that so many fans need to have some kind of metaphorical cuddle from the manager.

I'm not sure it's a "metaphorical cuddle" fans want or need, maybe it's just less of this nonsense talk to the press, slight digs at the supporters and more focüs on what's going on with the team and how we perform on the pitch.

The atmosphere surrounding the club isn't the best right now - which is kind of strange when you look at the fact that we are (currently) 8th in the Premier League, isn't it? Which is probably indicative as to how torn we all are at present. We seem to be a bit anchorless. Which way are we going? Forward or backward or (constantly) sideways?

Unfortunately, he's the stubborn type and it'll take a massive kind of divine intervention for him to ponder his current failings at LCFC.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

He's a confident chap, I asked him if we took him on whether he'd be able to get us six or seven or even maximum points from our next three games and he replied "Nine".

It’s O.K, I got it mate :thumbup:

Your talents are wasted on here I tell ya :D

7 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

I want a German/Austrian... I want an aggressive, pressing manager, who is the complete opposite to 'Passive Puel'. Our players and fans need something to cheer/shout about, at the moment, we are timing ourselves to see how long until we yawn

Wagner will now be free, but the statement read last night along the lines of needing 'a break from football'... 

your first line sums up how many of our fans think/behave these days...

'I want a.......I want an'. like a toddler demanding different sweets, il demand and scream and boo, stamp my feet, until I get what I want ! I am entitled.

7 hours ago, murphy said:

I support the club and have done for decades.

This manager has sucked the life out of a stadium, which was not long ago, one of the most atmospheric in the country.

Of course we'll never achieve what we did in 15/16 and the crowd needs to get going again after that phase in our history.

Managers can set the tone for the team and the crowd , Klopp's got anfield rocking and I'd say that Emery has even managed to get the Emirates going after years of nothing.

The way he has set us up not to concede against some of the poorer teams in the division has led to some unbelievably dull games - usually concede 1st half then have a go to try and get something out of the game 2nd half.

I honestly don't remember walking away from the ground buzzing after a really good performance ( I was on holiday for the city game, but they did play well then) and even some of our victories like Wolves and Watford have been slightly fortune and could have gone the other way.

He needs to change or go imo

• Thanks 1

So stuck in the middle with regards to this. The inpatient side of me wants Wagner (to manage us) but the other side is thinks Puel might be close to turning a corner, it really depends on who we sign this January as I don’t think many of us want to see this opportunity 7th missed out on based on us being conservative.