Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Bands/Singers That You DOn't Like But Feel Like You Should

Hi all

Was thinking the other day about how I just can't get into Nirvana even though I can see that they are a good band (I think I heard one of their songs in a shop).  I just don't connect with them and find his voice annoying.  Anyone else have bands that they know are good, that they feel like they should like but that they just cannae?  I personally would also place The Beatles into this category but opted to mention Nirvana first so I wasn't accused of being insane and killed.

X

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How can you find Cobain's voice annoying. Disappointed in you @RumbleFox lol

Not an artist or band but I just can't get into any modern rap. Especially that mumble shit

I think I have an aversion to that kind of "rock" nasal voice.  As I said, I know they are a great band and I like him a lot just don't connect with any of their songs.  Not really a fan of "grunge" or whatever you want to classify Nirvana as in general but to me I always liked the Pixies 100 times more than them.  As I say, I know I am "wrong" not liking them, haha.  X

4 minutes ago, pds said:

Arctic Monkeys. Quite liked the first album. Went to see them live after the second album and it was the worst gig I've ever been to. Find pretty much all of their songs painfully dull. No idea how they've lasted so long.

This.  For me that first album was the moment I "lost touch" with modern music.  I thought it was just "OK", completely never got the appeal.  X

14 minutes ago, pds said:

Arctic Monkeys. Quite liked the first album. Went to see them live after the second album and it was the worst gig I've ever been to. Find pretty much all of their songs painfully dull. No idea how they've lasted so long.

Pretty sure only 'do i wanna know' was a good song. The rest were trash

26 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think I have an aversion to that kind of "rock" nasal voice.  As I said, I know they are a great band and I like him a lot just don't connect with any of their songs.  Not really a fan of "grunge" or whatever you want to classify Nirvana as in general but to me I always liked the Pixies 100 times more than them.  As I say, I know I am "wrong" not liking them, haha.  X

I forgive you mate

• Like 1

The Smiths.

I don't dislike them but think of them as a 7/10 band - half-decent but nothing special. Lots of people of my age and general musical taste find this unacceptable.

I think it's because I mainly have an emotional reaction to music, not so much the words of songs. The lyrics being the major element that Smiths fans adore, I presume, though I think they're a bit contrived and over-rated, anyway.

I don't mind the melancholic/whimsical vibe of The Smiths, but don't find it brilliantly romantic or original as their fans do. To me it's all a bit self-regarding - in a way that's not outstandingly original or engaging.

Marr seems a genuine, thoughtful bloke - and a good musician, I presume (Morrissey seems less romantic hero, more narcissistic spoilt brat).....but the music, without the lyrics and Morrissey's persona, is again.....7/10.

Bob Dylan

Although I'm a lost cause for The Smiths, I could be redeemable as regards Dylan. I'm just aware that most people whose tastes are similar to mine rate him very highly, whereas he's yet to really take off in my esteem.

I don't yet know him well enough, though. I need to make time to listen to his 60s/70s material concertedly. I've liked several of his more recent albums (8/10) but have only listened to his early material in a fragmentary way.

Again, because I'm mainly moved by music and not words, that may explain why there's no instant recognition of his supposed genius....I suspect that if I make more of an effort, I might come round and "get him" better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I’m a Dylan devotee in fact I’m listening to Oh Mercy album now. Masterpiece. 

Yes, I should make the time to try to tune into him properly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that I might appreciate him fully if I make an effort and open my mind a bit.

Whereas I just think The Smiths aren't my cup of tea.

Courteeners are awful but get raved about on twitter by your typical 17year old dark fruits indie kid. 10 years or so they've been around without doing anything special.

And considering I like similar bands I feel I should like them. I even listened to two of their albums and they were just shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

I’m a Dylan devotee in fact I’m listening to Oh Mercy album now. Masterpiece. 

I wondered why you got rid of your avatar. Nashville Skyline weren't it?

I love him. Not gonna say he's anywhere near the great singers but he tops any other songwriter.