Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Bands/Singers That You DOn't Like But Feel Like You Should

The Doors - with their cult-like following, I thought there'd be something special about them. Nope.

Blur - liked a lot of the Britpop music back in the day but never really got Blur (though Coxon was a good guitarist). Feel sort of the same about Oasis.

23 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Oh wow, good thread RumbleFox! I tend to like Alt Rock, so feel I should like Arcade Fire and Interpol, but just find both generally dull and overproduced.

Also hate Bob Dylan which seems to be another big name you are supposed to like.

They've never done anything for me either. See also: Bloc Party. It's all competent enough, just a bit over earnest.

I think the music you're into is much like how we end up with a partner - you may have a mental list of things they should and shouldn't be, but ultimately it's down to whether you connect with it/them, and this can mean your list has gone out of the window.

I think there are cases where you can grow to like something, or at least develop an appreciation over time, but usually for me it's pretty much an instant thing - does this stir anything in me or not? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They've never done anything for me either. See also: Bloc Party. It's all competent enough, just a bit over earnest.

I think the music you're into is much like how we end up with a partner - you may have a mental list of things they should and shouldn't be, but ultimately it's down to whether you connect with it/them, and this can mean your list has gone out of the window.

I think there are cases where you can grow to like something, or at least develop an appreciation over time, but usually for me it's pretty much an instant thing - does this stir anything in me or not? 

Good shout on Bloc Party, another band who seem to sacrifice a good tune for being musically cool.

Your point about music and partners is spot on to be fair - you have your criteria but there's an X-factor specific to you needed too.

On 17/01/2019 at 10:28, RumbleFox said:

I think I have an aversion to that kind of "rock" nasal voice.  As I said, I know they are a great band and I like him a lot just don't connect with any of their songs.  Not really a fan of "grunge" or whatever you want to classify Nirvana as in general but to me I always liked the Pixies 100 times more than them.  As I say, I know I am "wrong" not liking them, haha.  X

It's funny that there are comparisons between Pixies and Nirvana, as Kurt idolised Pixies and often noted them as inspiration for specific songs but besides the fact that they were both technically "grunge" and both used lyrics that could be interpreted in more ways than one, they really didn't have much in common at all. Sound was way different - Pixies was art, Nirvana was more pure garage rock for the 90s. I love both, couldn't pick one over the other most days. Couldn't even say who had the bigger influence overall. Without Pixies, grunge probably wouldn't have made it overground, without Nirvana, alternative rock probably would have taken a lot longer to become a thing.

My list:

Beatles: I like a few select songs, but overall the earlier stuff was too happy/sappy, the later stuff was a seemingly faux-drug-"inspired" mess

Bob Dylan: boring and incoherent

The Smiths: utter utter garbage. I don't care if Johnny Marr was supposedly a great guitarist, the sound was a depressing wash of piss. Lyrics seemingly written 5 minutes before each recording session or ad-libbed. Morrissey possibly the biggest cvnt in the industry. And we've got them to "thank" the endless sea of shite 90's indie that lingered like a bad fart. When people say they like The Smiths, I straight up don't believe them. Just not having it.

• Like 1

Don't get this. You either like something or you don't. Never felt that something I don't like, but should.

Should? Why? Who made rules about music dealing in absolutes? Now I like folk bands like The Waterboys and The Coral, but not Mumford and Sons. There's no say that I should, because they're similar, but you'd be missing the point. What they are is inferior tripe, mass marketed on radio, so therefore taken up by the general public, until they've been deemed unfashionable by the people who make (money from) these decisions and gone back to general background popularity of folk music (but not really folk music).

I've never felt that I should like anything, you either do or don't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Don't get this. You either like something or you don't. Never felt that something I don't like, but should.

Should? Why? Who made rules about music dealing in absolutes? Now I like folk bands like The Waterboys and The Coral, but not Mumford and Sons. There's no say that I should, because they're similar, but you'd be missing the point. What they are is inferior tripe, mass marketed on radio, so therefore taken up by the general public, until they've been deemed unfashionable by the people who make (money from) these decisions and gone back to general background popularity of folk music (but not really folk music).

I think you've taken it slightly too seriously. X 

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:12, Fox92 said:

I wondered why you got rid of your avatar. Nashville Skyline weren't it?

I love him. Not gonna say he's anywhere near the great singers but he tops any other songwriter.

It just got replaced by a T??

I need to address it really.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:31, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, I should make the time to try to tune into him properly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that I might appreciate him fully if I make an effort and open my mind a bit.

Whereas I just think The Smiths aren't my cup of tea.

Start with a 'Best of Dylan' or failing that go for one of the stronger albums like Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Love and Theft, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind.

You don't want to approach Dylan with your first album being Shot of Love or something like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I took the thread as meaning acts that on paper are everything I usually like, but for some reason don't particularly 'click' with me. Rather than feeling obliged.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

My list:

Beatles: I like a few select songs, but overall the earlier stuff was too happy/sappy, the later stuff was a seemingly faux-drug-"inspired" mess

Bob Dylan: boring and incoherent

The Smiths: utter utter garbage. I don't care if Johnny Marr was supposedly a great guitarist, the sound was a depressing wash of piss. Lyrics seemingly written 5 minutes before each recording session or ad-libbed. Morrissey possibly the biggest cvnt in the industry. 

...But "do you feel you should?" like them?

22 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

the endless sea of shite 90's indie that lingered like a bad fart. 

Agree. Blame the gullible and impressionable consumers that naively bought into it. Emperors clothing. 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

...But "do you feel you should?" like them?

Agree. Blame the gullible and impressionable consumers that naively bought into it. Emperors clothing. 

Yeah, in that all 3 have massive followings even to this day but I just can't see what the fuss is about. Appreciate that Beatles and the Smiths were somewhat revolutionary, but so was whatever cvnt invented that horrible plastic 80's sound that pretty much every producer of the time bought into.