Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RumbleFox

Bands/Singers That You DOn't Like But Feel Like You Should

Recommended Posts

Radiohead for me.

 

To be fair, The Bends is a really good album but since then they've got progressively more whiney and their recent stuff is ****ing dreadful. You can call it avant garde genius or whatever you like but it sounds bloody awful to me.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muse.

 

I can appreciate their talent but their music does absolutely nothing for me. Matt Bellamy's voice makes my ears hurt too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2019 at 12:49, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

 

It's funny that there are comparisons between Pixies and Nirvana, as Kurt idolised Pixies and often noted them as inspiration for specific songs but besides the fact that they were both technically "grunge" and both used lyrics that could be interpreted in more ways than one, they really didn't have much in common at all. Sound was way different - Pixies was art, Nirvana was more pure garage rock for the 90s. I love both, couldn't pick one over the other most days. Couldn't even say who had the bigger influence overall. Without Pixies, grunge probably wouldn't have made it overground, without Nirvana, alternative rock probably would have taken a lot longer to become a thing.

 

My list:

Beatles: I like a few select songs, but overall the earlier stuff was too happy/sappy, the later stuff was a seemingly faux-drug-"inspired" mess

 

Bob Dylan: boring and incoherent

 

The Smiths: utter utter garbage. I don't care if Johnny Marr was supposedly a great guitarist, the sound was a depressing wash of piss. Lyrics seemingly written 5 minutes before each recording session or ad-libbed. Morrissey possibly the biggest cvnt in the industry. And we've got them to "thank" the endless sea of shite 90's indie that lingered like a bad fart. When people say they like The Smiths, I straight up don't believe them. Just not having it.

 

 

 

 

I genuinely love The Smiths. Believe me!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2019 at 11:41, Alf Bentley said:

 

The Smiths.

 

I don't dislike them but think of them as a 7/10 band - half-decent but nothing special. Lots of people of my age and general musical taste find this unacceptable.

I think it's because I mainly have an emotional reaction to music, not so much the words of songs. The lyrics being the major element that Smiths fans adore, I presume, though I think they're a bit contrived and over-rated, anyway.

I don't mind the melancholic/whimsical vibe of The Smiths, but don't find it brilliantly romantic or original as their fans do. To me it's all a bit self-regarding - in a way that's not outstandingly original or engaging.

Marr seems a genuine, thoughtful bloke - and a good musician, I presume (Morrissey seems less romantic hero, more narcissistic spoilt brat).....but the music, without the lyrics and Morrissey's persona, is again.....7/10.

 

Bob Dylan

 

Although I'm a lost cause for The Smiths, I could be redeemable as regards Dylan. I'm just aware that most people whose tastes are similar to mine rate him very highly, whereas he's yet to really take off in my esteem.

I don't yet know him well enough, though. I need to make time to listen to his 60s/70s material concertedly. I've liked several of his more recent albums (8/10) but have only listened to his early material in a fragmentary way.

Again, because I'm mainly moved by music and not words, that may explain why there's no instant recognition of his supposed genius....I suspect that if I make more of an effort, I might come round and "get him" better.

 

 

I think, based on previous conversations we've had on here, you and I look for similar things in music.  I feel the same as you about the Smiths, cannot quite love them.  I don't hate them at all (though I can't stand Morrissey) and a few of their songs are extremely catchy but I can't say I emotionally connect to any of their songs.

 

Dylan is an odd one.  I can see he is one fo the greatest songwriters we've ever had and many of his songs I do like but on the whole I don't tend to love most of his stuff and would certainly not call myself a "fan" of his.  I always found Positively 4th Street my favourite song of his.  I like music to be emotional and there is a real sense of anger that comes through that song (even though it is not particularly hard or heavy or loud) that I really connect with.  It's the one song of his that really affects me emotionally and genuinely love.  It always reminds me of the song Thank You, Friends by Big Star (another song I love).  Sneering anger hidden in quite a catchy tune and sung fairly quietly; a million times more effective than most loud, generic "angry" music.

 

X

Edited by RumbleFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon & Garfunkel.  Sure they wrote/sang some catchy tunes, but so did Abba. 

 

Joy Division.  I kind of liked them in my youth, but a friend put them on recently & all I could think was 'switch this shit off'.  It hasn't aged well

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Filbert_Ross said:

The Beatles

the Verve 

the Jam 

Radiohead 

ocean colour scene 

the who

Literally one of the top 10 worst bands of all time.  X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

 

Dylan is an odd one.  I can see he is one fo the greatest songwriters we've ever had and many of his songs I do like but on the whole I don't tend to love most of his stuff and would certainly not call myself a "fan" of his.  I always found Positively 4th Street my favourite song of his.  I like music to be emotional and there is a real sense of anger that comes through that song (even though it is not particularly hard or heavy or loud) that I really connect with.  It's the one song of his that really affects me emotionally and genuinely love.  It always reminds me of the song Thank You, Friends by Big Star (another song I love).  Sneering anger hidden in quite a catchy tune and sung fairly quietly; a million times more effective than most loud, generic "angry" music.

 

X

 

Had a listen to the 2 songs you recommended. I already knew the Dylan one, without knowing the song title - and agree that's a fine song.

 

I know Big Star a little but not well and that song is different to the stuff I knew - and really liked - which was more jangly and wistful (in a good way). Not sure about the one you recommended - would have to listen a few times, I suspect.

Is it meant to be 100% "sneering anger", though? There certainly seemed to be an air of sarcasm, but I wondered if it was a bit more ambivalent: i.e. "we did have good friends, but then some of them let us down"?

 

Thanks for the recommendations, anyway. I've put "Dylan" on my physical "to do" list - I really should give him a proper chance to impress, as he's impressed plenty of people whose tastes tend to tally with mine. I suspect that I need to make an effort to "tune in" to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

 

Had a listen to the 2 songs you recommended. I already knew the Dylan one, without knowing the song title - and agree that's a fine song.

 

I know Big Star a little but not well and that song is different to the stuff I knew - and really liked - which was more jangly and wistful (in a good way). Not sure about the one you recommended - would have to listen a few times, I suspect.

Is it meant to be 100% "sneering anger", though? There certainly seemed to be an air of sarcasm, but I wondered if it was a bit more ambivalent: i.e. "we did have good friends, but then some of them let us down"?

 

Thanks for the recommendations, anyway. I've put "Dylan" on my physical "to do" list - I really should give him a proper chance to impress, as he's impressed plenty of people whose tastes tend to tally with mine. I suspect that I need to make an effort to "tune in" to him.

Yeah you are right, my choice of words wasn't the best.  I think I was just trying to say that many singers/bands try and be angry in song and usually do it by being loud/fast/swearing and often it comes across as silly.  I find these two songs convey a genuine emotion of anger/regret/fvck you but without resorting to cheap tricks.  As I say, Dylan is an odd one for me, I like a lot of his stuff but don't love him and rarely listen to him.  The other of my favourites of his is weird version of Quinn The Eskimo he did that I can never seem to find apart from on an old best of I have on CD somewhere.  I always liked that song as a silly pop song but that one version is amazing.

 

I got into Big Star from reading some article at university in about 2000 (probably the NME for my sins).  It was one of those "Top 10 Lost Albums/Most Depressing Albums" type things.  Most their stuff is nice enough pop but they released that one album "Third/Sister Lovers" that is just brutally depressing in parts and I loved it for a few years.  Don't listen to it much now but dip in now and then ("Holocaust" and "Stroke it Noel" are still two of my favourites, as is Thank You, Friends) but it is a great album.

 

X

Edited by RumbleFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Waits.  I don't get it.  Have a Lemsip and stop banging those pots and pans.

 

The Fall.  Rubbish.

 

@Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo I love The Smiths.  I mean Lurrrrrrrrrve them!  I don't understand people that say they are depressing.  Tenderness, humour, pathos and magnificent guitar playing.  True originals.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To flip this on it's head a little, are there any artists you dislike yet have put something out that you're reasonably onboard with?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2019 at 16:07, murphy said:

Tom Waits.  I don't get it.  Have a Lemsip and stop banging those pots and pans.

 

The Fall.  Rubbish.

 

@Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo I love The Smiths.  I mean Lurrrrrrrrrve them!  I don't understand people that say they are depressing.  Tenderness, humour, pathos and magnificent guitar playing.  True originals.

 

 

 

The Fall and The Smiths are my two favourite bands, each very much on a pedestal and to which nothing else really comes close.

 

Both unique, but obviously press very different buttons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Never understood the love for The Jam, or anything by Paul Weller, it's just a bit dull for me

Love The Jam and Paul Weller, but some of the Weller stuff can be a bit of an acquired taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 00:24, Langston said:

To flip this on it's head a little, are there any artists you dislike yet have put something out that you're reasonably onboard with?

 

Should probably be a thread. Don't have anytime for CATB but I like Longshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2019 at 20:30, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Never understood the love for The Jam, or anything by Paul Weller, it's just a bit dull for me

Songs for the people. Songs that actually mean something. If it's something we lack nowadays it's people who don't write politically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Songs for the people. Songs that actually mean something. If it's something we lack nowadays it's people who don't write politically.

I know, I love alot of political stuff, Public Enemy, Dead Kennedy's, Morrissey. It's not the lyrics it's the music that's a bit dull. Same with The Clash a bit boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2019 at 20:30, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Never understood the love for The Jam, or anything by Paul Weller, it's just a bit dull for me

Each to their own, but I would find it hard to describe the Jam as 'dull'.  It's anger and energy.  I think they outpunked a lot of their contemporary punk bands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...