Funny how that suddenly made Wilf better on the ball as well. Probably felt a massive weight lifted off his shoulders.

Just now, dmayne7 said:

Funny how that suddenly made Wilf better on the ball as well. Probably felt a massive weight lifted off his shoulders.

Noticed this. Found it strange.

Maybe Mendy was forever fondling his balls, and without Mendy there he was able to play unmolested.:dunno:

22 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Mendy was supposed to be starting... Imo he should be 4th choice now... Behind Tielemans, Wilf and Hamza 

Agreed. I think Mendy flattered to deceive in the early games and has become more and more of an encumbrance. Much more productive to give Hamza game time to speed his development.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 18:07, CyprusFox said:

And me. We were a better side today without him. 

Well no, we were a better side with Tielemans, because he's the type of player we've been missing. We'd look that good for me with either Mendy or Ndidi alongside him, both are solid defensive midfielders but lack the passing range to do what Tielemans did, which is what the difference was.

Mendy is still a good player, wouldn’t right him off until he plays next to Tielemans.

Ndidi would be my first choice alongside Tielemans however. 

As good as Wilf was yesterday (and he was very good) I think Mendy deserves a shot alongside Tielemans as well.  Either one of them would be much improved by that partnership.

Also, while again giving credit for a fine performance, N'didi not staying home enough is a valid concern going forward.  A 4-3-3 with Tielemans and Maddison in MF is a very aggressive formation.  Especially when you consider that Ricardo and Chilwell will always be players who act as sort of half-wingers, if Wilf does the walkabout thing in the opposing penalty area too much that does leave you potentially very exposed at the back.

• Like 1

I think the reason Mendy was originally picked over Ndidi is his positional sense. While Ndidi is a beast at getting the ball back, he does tend to seem a bit unsure positionally when we have the ball. Having said that, he definitely has it in him to learn.