Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thread Management

I realise that modding FT is a monumental task and I don't want my following suggestion to be taken in the wrong way - I actually appreciate the work mods do (even if I don't agree with certain aspects - like my posting limit ;)) - I've seen mods removing posts and even threads - some of them well thought out and interesting threads - isn't it possible to merge threads that are basically the same?

For weeks now we've been inundated with threads that are simply Puel out threads, I'm not even talking about those which turn into Puel out threads but direct Puel out threads, can a mod please simply merge the new ones into older ones so that we don't have to keep regurgitating the same thing and then ignoring certain threads is easier whilst not cluttering up the whole of the page? At this moment 9 of my first page threads are simply the discussion of Puel out (and another 5 have turned into the same).

46 minutes ago, FIF said:

I realise that modding FT is a monumental task and I don't want my following suggestion to be taken in the wrong way - I actually appreciate the work mods do (even if I don't agree with certain aspects - like my posting limit ;)) - I've seen mods removing posts and even threads - some of them well thought out and interesting threads - isn't it possible to merge threads that are basically the same?

For weeks now we've been inundated with threads that are simply Puel out threads, I'm not even talking about those which turn into Puel out threads but direct Puel out threads, can a mod please simply merge the new ones into older ones so that we don't have to keep regurgitating the same thing and then ignoring certain threads is easier whilst not cluttering up the whole of the page? At this moment 9 of my first page threads are simply the discussion of Puel out (and another 5 have turned into the same).

While we're on the topic, I really think it's time for Puel to go.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I agree ...   gets boring after a while.  

To be fair I do agree but then I was suspended the other day, given a posting limit and my posts were deleted with no explanation so maybe I am as biased as me old mucker FIF.  On a more serious note, I think the moderators do a great job in general but the way they delete/ban/never explain does cause massive frustration.  They very rarely explain any decisions they make.  Again today I have seen swearing, insults and casual racism, all unpunished, and yet I get banned and given a posting limit for (as far as I can see) pointing out that we would not be "lucky" to finish on 45 points and quoting actual statistics regarding our likely points total.

Sorry, rant over.  Up the FIF.  X

EDIT:  I have reached my posting limit for the day and found a cheeky way round it by editing this post.  Enjoying reading this thread and @Mark it is really interesting reading your explanations and I think sometimes posters need to read these things as, without them, often it is hard to see why certain things are done.  Most of us are quite reasonable posters and understand when things are actually explained.  On that note, and realising grovelling on a public thread is going to increase my nobheadability, I was wondering if you might lift my posting restriction (I would message you privately but the posting restriction prevents this).  Failing this an explanation would be helpful as to why I have one and why some of my posts were deleted when I can't see I am all that bad of a poster?  I may be slightly obtuse but surely discussion is good and I can't see I have done anything warranting a restriction/ban.  As I said, if you feel you cannot lift my restriction, just an explanation as to why would be helpful also so that I can adjust my behaviour if necessary.  

X

Edited by RumbleFox

I know this sounds a bit pompous and elitist, but I'd put some sort of rule in place that you must have a certain amount of posts under your belt before you're allowed to start a new thread.

It appears to me that most of the threads that get instantly deleted are started my newbies or people that have recently joined - i.e. they probably don't fully understand how FT 'works'.

Someone started yet another Vardy thread today and if you use the 'search' function, you'd see there's already a dozen Vardy threads. I'm sure it would make the Mods life a lot easier if everyone understood how to use the search function (and we'd also have less repeated jokes on the joke thread :rolleyes:)

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I know this sounds a bit pompous and elitist, but I'd put some sort of rule in place that you must have a certain amount of posts under your belt before you're allowed to start a new thread.

It appears to me that most of the threads that get instantly deleted are started my newbies or people that have recently joined - i.e. they probably don't fully understand how FT 'works'.

Someone started yet another Vardy thread today and if you use the 'search' function, you'd see there's already a dozen Vardy threads. I'm sure it would make the Mods life a lot easier if everyone understood how to use the search function (and we'd also have less repeated jokes on the joke thread :rolleyes:)

Deja vu !!    As I replied to FIF ..   I agree with you  ...   and I knew you would mention repeated jokes ! ...    

You elitist pompous bugger Muzzett ! ...   :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

There was a point in the forums history where we had a lot of giant topics, posters were jumped upon for starting new topics, activity was down and new discussions were too. I made sure everyone was aware that merging topics was a last resort - if there was an identical topic, such as duplicate match threads. Anything else is fine. Obviously certain topics over the past few days have been drivel and were deleted. But if you think a new topic regarding Vardy should be merged, it won’t be. I’ve seen forums full of giant topics and it’s not user friendly, the latest posts could be appearing on something like page 836 of 840. Guest members would just be directed to page 1, their browsers don’t recognise the latest post read - so less chance of new members wanting to join the discussion. That’s just one example of why topics were stopped merging a few years ago, and I think the site has benefitted from it. 

Obviously when its busy though it will look worse, but personally I welcome new topics of discussion.

Thanks for explaining that Mark - appreciate it.

My excuse is that I’m getting old and too many new threads confuse me and I can’t keep up :(

Tbh it’s not a major issue and I’m probably just being a bit picky. 

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My excuse is that I’m getting old and too many new threads confuse me and I can’t keep up :(

I don’t think there is, maybe when there’s a bad result or big talking point there’s an increase, but anything bad still gets deleted. Here’s some new topic stats, the drop in 2010 was most concerning that led to new guidelines on the mod side, we had so many giant topics at that point and topics were merged regularly.

9EA35771-6207-430B-B51D-1150947DF27C.thumb.png.b1bf5adb11d4a658a278d0f1ac41d67d.png

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

I don’t think there is, maybe when there’s a bad result or big talking point there’s an increase, but anything bad still gets deleted. Here’s some new topic stats, the drop in 2010 was most concerning that led to new guidelines on the mod side, we had so many giant topics at that point and topics were merged regularly.

9EA35771-6207-430B-B51D-1150947DF27C.thumb.png.b1bf5adb11d4a658a278d0f1ac41d67d.png

Consider me well and truly told then :thumbup:

Right, I’m off to start a load of new threads :D

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

But why do we need 10 Puel out threads every day? Surely they can be merged.

There hasn’t been 10

if you’re referring to ‘PUEL OUT NOW’ and ‘Sack him now’ which were creating during the night, they were gone once I’ve got up and seen them. I can’t monitor it 24/7

• Like 1

I was the Mod King of merging as I used to, like FIF hate seeing all these duplicate threads where the same topic was occurring but I've seen the change in users and although duplicates can be a pain it's countered by not having to search through a 800  long topic to find where the narrative changed from say a maybe to a happening.

40 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Out of interest...what is the posting maximums. If I am a lazy bugger!!!  Tell me where I can read it!!!

As far as i know there is no limit to posting UNLESS you are restricted by a mod and then i think its 10 per day. The restrictions seem to last a week (well it did for me :blush: but i guess it can last alot longer, in @FIFs case a year. 

Not 100% sure why you are deemed to get one and it probably varies? 

@MarkI'm actually curious to know the difference between a restriction and a warning.. I know one is limited posts per day but whats a warning? Is it ## strikes and then a ban or something? But what defines which one you get? 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

As far as i know there is no limit to posting UNLESS you are restricted by a mod and then i think its 10 per day. The restrictions seem to last a week (well it did for me :blush: but i guess it can last alot longer, in @FIFs case a year. 

Not 100% sure why you are deemed to get one and it probably varies? 

@MarkI'm actually curious to know the difference between a restriction and a warning.. I know one is limited posts per day but whats a warning? Is it ## strikes and then a ban or something? 

Thx...poor old @FIF   one of my favourites...he's just as crazy and wild as me.!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

@MarkI'm actually curious to know the difference between a restriction and a warning.. I know one is limited posts per day but whats a warning? Is it ## strikes and then a ban or something? But what defines which one you get?

Warnings are given for abusive posts usually, don’t really use the strike rule anymore just a time limit depending on how bad it was. Post limits are usually given when regularly getting into long drawn out arguments across multiple topics

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Warnings are given for abusive posts usually, don’t really use the strike rule anymore just a time limit depending on how bad it was. Post limits are usually given when regularly getting into long drawn out arguments across multiple topics

Oh you mean like, Puel-out,and Brexit,with a mix of Rachel!!  :P

It's quite easy not to be banned, of my 20K odd posts I'd say 75% were made when I was an actual child and got one serious ban in all that time (which I deserved), since then I've occasionally wound people up and sometimes been a bit inflammatory but not to the extent I've got a ban. The modding on here is mostly very reasonable and the easiest way to avoid it is not arguing so often.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

It's quite easy not to be banned, of my 20K odd posts I'd say 75% were made when I was an actual child and got one serious ban in all that time (which I deserved), since then I've occasionally wound people up and sometimes been a bit inflammatory but not to the extent I've got a ban. The modding on here is mostly very reasonable and the easiest way to avoid it is not arguing so often.

you argue plenty but we call it discussion and disagreeing. That's one of the reasons people come here - 1. For information (which they can get somewhere else) 2. To discuss with like individuals who support the team we love 3. To air our own views.

It's good that you haven't been banned, you are an good poster with interesting views. It's understandable that some kids get banned but you fail to realise that people like myself, Rumble, Suzie ... are far (sorry Suzie) from our childhood. Still I'm wasting my time to continue with this post, I just wanted to correct your misconception - I doubt that I have. If you do get a posting limit because you disagreed with Swanny or Chapero or Wymsey or someone else come back to me and tell me that you feel the same way. The less your beliefs follow the crowd the more likely you are to get a ban, that's not arguing it's disagreeing. Bottom line for me is that Mark has the right to do whatever he wants (it's his website) and I don't have a problem with that, it won't stop me asking if he'll lift my posting limit every now and again though. (That was for you CF)

1 hour ago, FIF said:

you argue plenty but we call it discussion and disagreeing. That's one of the reasons people come here - 1. For information (which they can get somewhere else) 2. To discuss with like individuals who support the team we love 3. To air our own views.

It's good that you haven't been banned, you are an good poster with interesting views. It's understandable that some kids get banned but you fail to realise that people like myself, Rumble, Suzie ... are far (sorry Suzie) from our childhood. Still I'm wasting my time to continue with this post, I just wanted to correct your misconception - I doubt that I have. If you do get a posting limit because you disagreed with Swanny or Chapero or Wymsey or someone else come back to me and tell me that you feel the same way. The less your beliefs follow the crowd the more likely you are to get a ban, that's not arguing it's disagreeing. Bottom line for me is that Mark has the right to do whatever he wants (it's his website) and I don't have a problem with that, it won't stop me asking if he'll lift my posting limit every now and again though. (That was for you CF)

WTF has this got to do with me? 

Here you are again having a dig, trying to paint me in a certain light and I don’t even respond to your posts or reply to your constant rhetoric of drivel.

Perhaps you have a posting limit and keep getting banned because you’re like a dog with a bone! You spend all this time telling everybody how you’ve got me on ignore and the rest of the time talking about me in your posts.

Next you’ll be wondering why someone like me gets to the point of being so frustrated with your crap that they call you a **** and then you’ll start asking for them to be banned and crying victim.

Get a grip. Stop complaining to moderators and think about why they are there - it’s to moderate people who can’t post in moderation or in a moderate manner. That should tell you all you need to know about why you keep having run ins.

And it’s certainly not because you disagree with me. 

• Like 1