Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Managers: Mark McGhee, 1994 -1995

50 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

"The future's marked out" became "The future's f***ed off".

Deeply unpleasant man, pantomime villain got an appropriate ending of failure as the good guys moved on to bigger and better things. Sowed some important seeds by signing Kamaark and Parker, disgusting treatment of others, huge big headed ego not reflected by his managerial achievements.

Basically Alex Ferguson without the trophies.

The hatred for him was worse than it was Little and this time it was fully justified. 

So glad he wasn't a success, fat Scottish bastarddd and a shit football teammmmm indeed.

Edited by MattP

Guest Markyblue
23 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

He probably is working as a waiter now.

Hope not he'd eat half your food on the way to the table, fat c..t.

59 minutes ago, Corky said:

Didn't Ferguson tell him to go to Wolves?

And signed Darren Ferguson when he was in charge of Wolves.?.....mmmmm:dry:

Edited by rico

3 hours ago, boots60 said:

I will only leave Leicester City to go to a big club like Manchester United, Rangers, Newcastle & ....er...Wolves.

Its took the sleeping giants over 20 years & numerous managers Chinese Billionaires and dodgy Portugese agents to wake up.

Fixed.

McGee signed that plonker of a goalkeeper, not sure of his name, was it Kalac?  In all my time watching English football, he has to be the biggest clown I have ever seen pretending to be a goalkeeper!  He was Australias  no. 1 keeper !!!

Even though McGhee quit high flying Reading for Leicester, it was us he regretted leaving.

He was in a rush to get to the top as quick as he could, and he openly admitted that he gave no thought to the players he bought, the chairman at the time Martin George who had backed him, his coaches and his children who had just started at a new school.

I must admit I liked the way he talked and his ambitions, and the type of players we was signing.

Even though we was doing ok under him, we had a tendency to draw or lose games,  we should of won.

1 hour ago, BoyJones said:

Remember all those going to Madrid were given "Are you watching Mark McGhee" postcards to post back to McGhee. Still got a few left somewhere! 

If you have one going spare mate I would love to have one to fill a hole in my Leicester European memorabilia.

Will pay in pints.

Have to say that under McGhee we played some of the very best football that I have ever seen us play.  I remember Kaamark's debut away at West Brom where we absolutely played them off the pitch. Unfortunately Kakac threw in a couple in the second half to make it 3-2 in the end. By the time he left for Wolves, the wheels were already  starting to come off, though. The defence were all over the shop and teams realised that everything went through Gary Parker and just man marked him out of the game to stop us. Bit like what has happened to Jorginho at Chelsea. So whilst his departure really hacked me off at the time, it was clearly for the best, especially given who his successor was. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Former Brighton and Leicester manager Mark McGhee appointed manager at Eastbourne Borough

DERREN HOWARD
Published: 09:48
Tuesday 19 February 2019

Mark McGhee has been appointed as the interim manager of Eastbourne Borough.

McGhee, 61, will take over immediately following the sacking of Jamie Howell, who was dismissed on Saturday afternoon at Billericay.

McGhee, who lives in Hove, is expected to remain in place until the end of this season with a possibility of extending his stay for the next campaign. He is due to take his first training session tonight (Tuesday) and his first game in charge will be against Wealdstone at Priory Lane on Saturday.

McGhee said, “I live in Brighton, and when the call came to ask if I could assist at Eastbourne Borough I was delighted to offer my services.

“I look forward to the challenge of helping to improve what is clearly a progressive club trying to do things the right way”.

McGhee has an impressive CV having previously managed Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall, Brighton, Motherwell and Aberdeen.

He was also the assistant manager for Scotland from 2013 to 2017 before returning for another stint at Motherwell and then Barnet.

Across Sussex, Mark will be best remembered as the Brighton & Hove Albion manager who led the club to the Championship in the 2003-04 season.

Former Eastbourne Borough manager Garry Wilson is friends with McGhee and Wilson carried out scouting work for Scotland during McGhee’s time with the national team.

The Glaswegian was a striker during his playing days and had a fine career with Newcastle, Aberdeen, Hamburg, Celtic and Newcastle once again.

In 1979 he was Sir Alex Ferguson’s first major signing for Aberdeen with whom he won the 1983 European Cup Winners’ Cup and 1983 UEFA Super Cup, as well as three Scottish league titles.

Danny Bloor will continue as assistant manager, as will Dean Lightwood as goalkeeping coach.

Bloor, who was brought to the club by former boss Jamie Howell, added, “This is a wonderful club to work with, and I am delighted to be continuing now with Mark. I and all of us at Borough can only learn and benefit from a man with Mark McGhee’s credentials and experience.”

Not even the manager but the Interim Manager.

On 06/02/2019 at 18:15, BoyJones said:

Remember all those going to Madrid were given "Are you watching Mark McGhee" postcards to post back to McGhee. Still got a few left somewhere! 

Glad someone else remembered this. The postcard was filled in with the address of Wolves and you just had to fill in a message for him! I actually sent mine off. ?. From memory it read something along the lines of “we all have regrets in life, yours must be bigger than others!”.

Always wondered 1) how many got sent and 2) if he ever read any!! ?