Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Managers: Mark McGhee, 1994 -1995

On 06/02/2019 at 13:54, MattP said:

The hatred for him was worse than it was Little and this time it was fully justified. 

So glad he wasn't a success, fat Scottish bastarddd and a shit football teammmmm indeed.

Christ, I've ruined a few 'Cheer Up Sleepy Jean' pub singalongs in my time singing that. lol

All deserved. Because of him I was denied the chance to present Iwan Roberts with the 1996 Junior Foxes Player of the Year Award.

4 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

He  has been said in an interview that he wasnt proud of his actions stating that he made a poor decision at that point in his career. 

The honied words of a moron made to eat them. 

He called wolves a 'sleeping giant' and then proceeded to contribute to them not finishing above us for a good fifteen years or so. 

Finished his career managing no marks very poorly. No sympathy. 

Loved our football under him, mind. 

When you get reminded that we were once managed by a pillock like this, who left us for what he perceived to be better horizons, it makes me think Puel really 'ain't that bad after all.

#Puelin

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I remember the glorious night we beat Wolves 3-2 at there place. Slagging off McGhee all night. Heskey scored the winner and a local threw his thermos flask at him!!! 

Anyone else remember that?

Yeah, was there too! Great night....

The absolute classic moment at Wembley in the play-off final, half of Wembley singing " fvck off Mark Mcgee oh what can it be to a Leicester supporter and we're at Wembley"  They even played the song daydream believer over the tannoy system knowing full well what the city supporters would sing. God bless the staff at Wembley that day. It was made even more delicious by the fact that we won!

I remember when he left for Wolves, I was only about 8 but it really did stir up some hatred around the City.

I remember getting all of my old program's out from and going through them one by one with a red felt-tip pen, just to cross out or scribble over his face wherever he would pop up!

15 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I remember when he left for Wolves, I was only about 8 but it really did stir up some hatred around the City.

I remember getting all of my old program's out from and going through them one by one with a red felt-tip pen, just to cross out or scribble over his face wherever he would pop up!

Proper passion ! :scarf:

2002/03 was the first real season for me as an attending LCFC football fan. I was 12 going into 13, I was posting on LCFC messageboards, my dad was getting us tickets for every home game. I was immersing myself in the history of the game and the club. I remember reading and hearing about Dennis Wise's breaking of Callum Davidson's jaw. I was amazed someone would do something like that, and even more annoyed when the court ruling wanted him reinstated (funny what you remember.)

Anyway, fast forward to December 2002. Millwall FC at home. Dad had gotten us tickets down in the corner of the West Stand by the kop. Another trip to the ground to the ground I loved. This time it was different. No away fans, the place was rammed and it was an atmosphere like I've never felt or known. pre-match and during the game, the thunderous "DENNIS WISE..." and the "F OFF MARK MCGHEE" seemingly, in my head, on loop over and over.

I kept self-censoring myself with the chants to start with; I didn't want my dad giving me a scolding, but soon realised it was okay and joined in with vigour. I know it seems sentimental to say in retrospect, but it was that game that truly captured me.

The incredible concoction of circumstance. Back comes a player who tried to liquidate us. Back comes, for the first time a manager who left us in the lurch before we went on to great things. Millwall fans banned from the stadium, making it a complete bowl of rapturous noise. As a 13 year old can you even imagine taking that in. It was wonderful. Then Steve Claridge scored nine seconds in.

By the end everything was alright. I'd sung my heart out abusing these two traitors to the club, we'd bashed Millwall 4-1 and Championship Manager awaited when I got home. Mark McGhee, you were one of the reasons I'm so wedded to this club. Experiences like that you can never take away, and that's why we love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I remember the glorious night we beat Wolves 3-2 at there place. Slagging off McGhee all night. Heskey scored the winner and a local threw his thermos flask at him!!! 

Anyone else remember that?

I was watching this on youtube at the weekend. Someone mentioned to me that our last two wins at Wolves were memorable. The last one was a 2-1 win thanks to Hammond and Porter! lol

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I was watching this on youtube at the weekend. Someone mentioned to me that our last two wins at Wolves were memorable. The last one was a 2-1 win thanks to Hammond and Porter! lol

My last visit to Molineux. Porter's goal was in injury time and the place went mental.

Mark McGhee......another football person who thought the grass was greener............I'm sure Mr. Drinkwater, Mr. Lambert, and countless others know what that means.

However, after his pretty disastrous spell at Wolves and looking at the other huge teams he managed I think we dodged a bullet when he went. Especially as we got decent compensation and it brought Martin O'Neill to the club which started some golden times in our history.

I also remember MON, just after he took over, saying he thought other teams had worked McGhee's style out after the great start to the season. Wise and astute words looking at what happened that season.

Edited by ThaiFox