Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlueThroughandThrough

Summer rebuilding of the squad

Barnes - if he's legit, which would be the player we saw against Man U who was our best on the night - gives us a lot of options.  He arguably allows us to spend on CM and a striker option without having to spend big on another winger.  But he can also potentially be a #9 option himself.

One of the reasons I like Mendez so much is that he, too, gives you options.  He can play as an attacking mid or a wing, and will create chances and score goals wherever you use him.

Edited by Deeg67

What I hope happens

Outgoings:

Morgan

Fuchs

Okazaki

Simpson

Iheanacho (probably only get rid on a loan)

Slimani (probably only get rid on loan)

Silva

Incomings: 

1) Tielemans if he does well, otherwise someone of similar qualities

2) Tall striker with good holdup play happy to be on the bench

3) Backup LB if Elder isn't good enough

4) 19 year old highly rated striker

I would love Brais Mendez but there's no point with 6 options already for the AM positions- Albrighton, Gray, Diabate, Ghezzal, Barnes, Maddison. Maybe if we sold Gray, but i doubt we would.

8 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Should have thought Barnes could possibly take the spare CAM and even striker positions.

I’d have him down as a starting winger my self, buying a new creative CAM to compete with Maddison and a striker like Che Adams would give us more options upfront that I think we really need. 

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

What I hope happens

Outgoings:

Morgan

Fuchs

Okazaki

Simpson

Iheanacho (probably only get rid on a loan)

Slimani (probably only get rid on loan)

Silva

Incomings: 

1) Tielemans if he does well, otherwise someone of similar qualities

2) Tall striker with good holdup play happy to be on the bench

3) Backup LB if Elder isn't good enough

4) 19 year old highly rated striker

I would love Brais Mendez but there's no point with 6 options already for the AM positions- Albrighton, Gray, Diabate, Ghezzal, Barnes, Maddison. Maybe if we sold Gray, but i doubt we would.

I think this is the right order of importance for signings in the summer. But I can see if puel gets his first choice striker that vardy becomes a bench player.

25 minutes ago, Attywolf said:

I think this is the right order of importance for signings in the summer. But I can see if puel gets his first choice striker that vardy becomes a bench player.

Probably not this season, I imagine Vardy will be slowly phased out over the next two or three years. If they took as long as they did with Morgan...

I am going to stuck my neck out and say in 19/20 season apart from the obvious replacements for out of contract. I think we should cash in on Maguire and try and unite Benkovic/Soyuncu as long term CB partnership with Evans as the older head as cover and Amartey 4th choice. 

For me we will need to find a Vardy replacement and the Maguire cash could go a long way. I am also not against Danny Ward being given a go in front of the friendly ghost. He has clear ability and the club saw something in the 12m signing. 

Sorry Kasper and Vardy but sentiment doesn't run forever. I think clear competition for both and a spell out would see if they are prepared to put in that extra 10% or are just comfortable on bumper contracts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The point is that Mendez is better (probably comfortably) than any of those options both as a wing and an attacking MF.

Probably better*, we don't know how he would transition from La Liga

But the thing is we can't just stockpile first team players, we're not big enough for that and we should focus our wage bill wisely on our first team. If we got him, we'd need to sell at least one (ideally two) of our AMs - Not Albrighton, he's clearly a part of the club's longterm plans, not Barnes (duh), not Maddison, it leaves us with Gray, Ghezzal, and Diabate. Diabate and Ghezzal are squad players anyway (and hey, if Diabate keeps slaughtering the Super Lig, maybe he can challenge Barnes for a spot), Ghezzal especially looks a good option for a backup No 10., and a decent player to come off the bench now he's grown more accustomed to the league. That leaves Gray, and I'm not sure the club would sell him, if only because their valuation of him probably differs to other teams'.

Right now, our first team front 3 probably looks like

Barnes (Diabaté) Maddison (Ghezzal) Gray (Albrighton)

Which doesn't take into account that sometimes we don't even play with a 10, which leaves even fewer spots open for AMs. I would really like him here, but I think the club would have to be prepared to sell beyond what is currently necessary in our current rebuild to make space in the squad.

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

I am going to stuck my neck out and say in 19/20 season apart from the obvious replacements for out of contract. I think we should cash in on Maguire and try and unite Benkovic/Soyuncu as long term CB partnership with Evans as the older head as cover and Amartey 4th choice. 

For me we will need to find a Vardy replacement and the Maguire cash could go a long way. I am also not against Danny Ward being given a go in front of the friendly ghost. He has clear ability and the club saw something in the 12m signing. 

Sorry Kasper and Vardy but sentiment doesn't run forever. I think clear competition for both and a spell out would see if they are prepared to put in that extra 10% or are just comfortable on bumper contracts. 

Agreed Danny Ward in goal would be good. He has done nothing wrong in his games and looks a very good keeper. 

Vardy replacement will be tough, he is on mega wages to big for an impact sub. I still think he will be our main striker next year as very hard to replace him. 

Benkovic and Soyuncu together would be good to see how they get on. 

Ward

Ricardo - Benkovic - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Ndidi - Tielmans

Gray - Maddison - Barnes

Vardy

Exciting + highly talented   team who will easily be top half of the table. Developing players as we go with a better emphasis on cup games. 

Edited by HKFox

Outs:

Fuchs (Free), Okazaki (Free), Simpson (Free), Slimani (£8m), Silva (Swap), Gray (£18m), Maguire (£45m), Elder (£3m), King (£5m), Iheanacho (Loan) + Several U23s on loan (Knight, Hughes, Johnson, Pascanu, etc.)

In:

Benkovic, Tielemans (Swap + £12m), Adams (£?), Austin (£10m), Mendez (£?)

Squad:

Schmeichel, Ward, Youth GK

Amartey, Ricardo, Benkovic, Evans, Soyuncu, Morgan, Chilwell, Ughelumba

Hamza, Mendy, Ndidi, Tielemans, James

Albrighton, Maddison, Ghezzal, Barnes, Mendez, Diabaté

Vardy, Adams, Austin

I think we'll still have Morgan next season, but he'll be 4th choice and end up going back to Forest in January. We'll get similar offers for Maguire again and I think unless we have a storming end to the season he'll put pressure on the club to make a move happen. Gray has had plenty of chances here but it isn't clicking so I can see him moving on, which might be interesting if it affects Maddison and Chilwells intentions to stay... Otherwise, most of the outs will be expiring contracts and getting rid of deadwood.

For incomings, I don't expect nearly as much activity. Benkovic back from loan to take Maguire's spot. Tielemans to make his transfer permanent in a swap+cash deal with Monaco. A pair of strikers coming in to challenge Vardy - Adams as the long-term replacement (with Iheanacho going the other way on loan) and Austin as the plan B. And finally Mendez in to replace the outgoing Gray.

Overall a slight net profit after the Maguire sale, although we may use that money to help us reduce the asking price for Slimani to get him off our books. Biggest worry for me is full back cover. With Simpson/Fuchs going, and likely Elder too, we're left with Amartey as RB cover and a youth player like Ughelumba on the left. I'd like to see us improve one or both of these, but Ricardo and Chilwell are arguably two of the best FBs in the league so anyone who comes in will have to be happy without much game time.

As most have said and as we've been saying for years now - a clear out is needed first.

Simpson

Okazaki

King

James

Fuchs

Slimani

With the possibility of:

Kaputzka

Morgan

Diabate

Silva

Iheanacho (loan most likely to get some confidence back)

And personally not good enough in my opinion

Mendy

Ghezzal

Leaves us with 3/3 keepers. 3/4 full backs (Counting Amartey and not Elder). 4/4 CB's. 3/4 DM's. 1/2 AM's. 3/4 Wingers and 1/3 ST.

So 4/5 players needed. Tielmans, Austin and Adams taking 3 of those spots and we're looking mustard for me.

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Wouldn't be too upset to see the following leave in the summer: Maguire, Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Mendy, James, Gray, Ghezzal, Okazaki, Iheanacho and then obviously Slimani, King and Silva.

Agreed except Maguire unless we get a big bid and i wouldn't get rid of mendy or gray. Both are decent back ups but gray does need to improve. Reason id be sceptical of him leaving is that would only leave Albrighton as Ghezzal is not likely to be good enough and Barnes may be used more down the middle. So if gray left we'd potentially need 3 new wingers. Iheancho would be better loaned as if he did well on loan somewhere we'd be able to recoup more money for him. If we sold him this summer we'd be lucky to get £10m! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes I know but I believe he has the potential to be more versatile than that and could cover a number of positions. Don’t need a big squad if there is no European football next season.

i’m sure he’ll cover both wings and forward positions..

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Outs:

Fuchs (Free), Okazaki (Free), Simpson (Free), Slimani (£8m), Silva (Swap), Gray (£18m), Maguire (£45m), Elder (£3m), King (£5m), Iheanacho (Loan) + Several U23s on loan (Knight, Hughes, Johnson, Pascanu, etc.)

In:

Benkovic, Tielemans (Swap + £12m), Adams (£?), Austin (£10m), Mendez (£?)

Squad:

Schmeichel, Ward, Youth GK

Amartey, Ricardo, Benkovic, Evans, Soyuncu, Morgan, Chilwell, Ughelumba

Hamza, Mendy, Ndidi, Tielemans, James

Albrighton, Maddison, Ghezzal, Barnes, Mendez, Diabaté

Vardy, Adams, Austin

I think we'll still have Morgan next season, but he'll be 4th choice and end up going back to Forest in January. We'll get similar offers for Maguire again and I think unless we have a storming end to the season he'll put pressure on the club to make a move happen. Gray has had plenty of chances here but it isn't clicking so I can see him moving on, which might be interesting if it affects Maddison and Chilwells intentions to stay... Otherwise, most of the outs will be expiring contracts and getting rid of deadwood.

For incomings, I don't expect nearly as much activity. Benkovic back from loan to take Maguire's spot. Tielemans to make his transfer permanent in a swap+cash deal with Monaco. A pair of strikers coming in to challenge Vardy - Adams as the long-term replacement (with Iheanacho going the other way on loan) and Austin as the plan B. And finally Mendez in to replace the outgoing Gray.

Overall a slight net profit after the Maguire sale, although we may use that money to help us reduce the asking price for Slimani to get him off our books. Biggest worry for me is full back cover. With Simpson/Fuchs going, and likely Elder too, we're left with Amartey as RB cover and a youth player like Ughelumba on the left. I'd like to see us improve one or both of these, but Ricardo and Chilwell are arguably two of the best FBs in the league so anyone who comes in will have to be happy without much game time.

No need to keep Wes.  We have more than enough cover in this area.  even if Harry leaves.  We simply cannot hold back any of the younger CB’s at the expense of Wes any longer.   

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd also missed Slimani, Mendy, Silva and King.

Wouldn't replace Morgan or Maguire as got Soyuncu and Benkovic. Be tempted not to replace Simpson as we have Amartey to come back. Would look for 2 new central midfielders (Tielemans and Mooy or Seri). I would look who's contracts are up around Europe for a backup left back, very much like what we did in bringing Fuchs in. We have a kid called Luke Thomas who kay well be up there with Chilwell in the next 2-3 seasons and Elder seems highly rated by some.

The fee we'd get for Gray I'd look at Michael Gregoritsch from Aufsburg or if they would somehow let him go then Lookman at Everton or Harry Wilson at Liverpool. Would give us a better presence through the wide areas and up top. If Ghezzal went as well then I'd love to see Brais Mendes come in front Celta Vigo got a 22m release clause.

In attack I'd happily have Che Adam's or that Morales from Rangers (complete nut job) and a physical striker such as Wesley from Club Brugge. Never had a Brazilian on our books.

HECTOR HERRERA

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

HECTOR HERRERA

Yes mate"!! Completely forgot to include him after persistently begging us to sign him last month. He'd be ideal.

I also am nervous at all of us thinking we should bin off 6-10 experienced players and seemingly either not replace them or bring through yet more kids, I think we need a blend. If we could pick up 1 or 2 out of favour players with a point to prove, these could be equally as progressive to us as the abundance of young players we are bringing through. Just look at Albrighton, Simpson, Fuchs etc that were phenomenal for us but were all out of favour at their clubs when we picked them up.

There's no way Elder will be back up to Chilwell next season, simply not good enough.

He's 23 now so hardly a youth team player and Ipswich have dropped him due to poor performances.

No need for wholesale changes as we've got a young squad that's going to improve. Our biggest challenge will be to keep them all at the club!!

Personally I think we need a left back to challenge Chilwell, a couple of centre mids and possibly a couple of strikers

16 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Claude had a great window last summer - he knew our weaknesses and bought a new right back, an experienced CB plus two young CBs to develop and for extra cover. He also brought in a decent back up keeper, and Maddison, whose creativity is crucial to the team. Ghezzal was presumably bought for a laugh.

Perhaps his best decision of the summer was to send Harvey Barnes to West Brom to develop for 6 months. He’s been very impressive since coming back.

What happens all depends on who leaves in summer - we’ll likely see a lot of the second string leave but the main issue will be which of the best players goes - we learned after Kante not to have any release clauses in contracts, and to not allow more than one major player leave in the space of 2 windows. We also did some excellent work in signing these players up on long term contracts.

For that reason I think we will see one massive outgoing - one of Ricardo, Maguire, Chilwell or Maddison - likely for more than what Mahrez left for.

Next summer the priority MUST be a CM or two - hopefully Tielemans, or someone of his quality. A striker would be ideal, as would a winger or two. I can see at least 6 signings coming in, depending who goes.

LMFAO