Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Brewing political Crisis in Thailand

It seems the Kings sister is running for the role of PM and is directly taking on the military , which in the history of this colourful and complex country is never a good idea. 

as our future seems very linked to Kingpower’s future should these developments worry us ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/08/thai-princess-to-run-for-prime-minister-against-ruling-military-junta

50 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

It seems the Kings sister is running for the role of PM and is directly taking on the military , which in the history of this colourful and complex country is never a good idea. 

as our future seems very linked to Kingpower’s future should these developments worry us ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/08/thai-princess-to-run-for-prime-minister-against-ruling-military-junta

Hence the long term planning re the training ground etc etc ...... Kuhn vichai knew how things were and hopefully Top is just as savvy 

21 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

From what's being said out here, she is involved with the same political party as Thaksin & Yingluck Shinawatra. This is the same party who were the ones who gave King Power their duty free monopoly in Thai airports. 

Under the Thai constitution, she should be allowed to win the election without any opposition. However, it's unclear out here if this will happen as the current military PM says he will be running. 

Thaksin & Yingluck were much loved out here, bringing a lot of wealth and employment to the country, including  the very poor. It was the Bangkok political class out here who demonstrated to get them out, hence military rule out here.

If she does stand and wins, I would have thought it would help King Power, especially as our owners were given a royal name by the late King Bhumibol and Vichai was given the equivalent of a state funeral after his terrible accident. The current PM has stated King Power's monopoly will end after the current contract.

I'll keep you all up to date if I hear of any King Power developments.

Where are you located in Thailand?

I am in Phuket, me and my dad are the only foxes on the island I believe. 

Just now, Guybino said:

We live in south of Sattahip. Close to the Thai Navy base and near Rayong, Three hours south from Bangkok.

No other foxes fans around me, sad to say......

But great live coverage of every Leicester City games, plus full match and highlight replays if I miss anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

From what's being said out here, she is involved with the same political party as Thaksin & Yingluck Shinawatra. This is the same party who were the ones who gave King Power their duty free monopoly in Thai airports. 

Under the Thai constitution, she should be allowed to win the election without any opposition. However, it's unclear out here if this will happen as the current military PM says he will be running. 

Thaksin & Yingluck were much loved out here, bringing a lot of wealth and employment to the country, including  the very poor. It was the Bangkok political class out here who demonstrated to get them out, hence military rule out here.

If she does stand and wins, I would have thought it would help King Power, especially as our owners were given a royal name by the late King Bhumibol and Vichai was given the equivalent of a state funeral after his terrible accident. The current PM has stated King Power's monopoly will end after the current contract.

I'll keep you all up to date if I hear of any King Power developments.

So a win for her is good 

and a win for the army is potentially bad ? 

1 minute ago, LinekersLugs said:

So a win for her is good 

and a win for the army is potentially bad ? 

This is Thailand......anything could happen, politically, out here!

She could win and be overthrown in weeks. The military love power, and certainly won't like giving up power out here. Twelve military coups since 1932 proves that.

However, if she stays, it should benefit King Power, as the party she has joined are very pro business and supported King Power hugely in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

This is Thailand......anything could happen, politically, out here!

She could win and be overthrown in weeks. The military love power, and certainly won't like giving up power out here. Twelve military coups since 1932 proves that.

However, if she stays, it should benefit King Power, as the party she has joined are very pro business and supported King Power hugely in the past.

Loving your insight , thank you 

never thought that following City world mean following Far East  geo political happenings 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They don't put any money in so why would we be worried? The only time to worry is if we got relegated.

Basically this.

When we were first taken over King Power pumped money in to write off our debts and an attempt at quick success, but quickly switched to a more sustainable model and by this point we're pretty much self-sufficient through player sales and PL money. Even the training ground and future stadium expansion are being paid for through a loan which secured against the club's (future) PL winnings. Outside investment is fairly minimal aside from the shirt/stadium sponsorship deals.

Obviously if something is beneficial to King Power then that might filter down to us, but given the fact that Thailand is currently under military rule and we're doing fine, I'd suggest we'll continue to do so after the election.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Basically this.

When we were first taken over King Power pumped money in to write off our debts and an attempt at quick success, but quickly switched to a more sustainable model and by this point we're pretty much self-sufficient through player sales and PL money. Even the training ground and future stadium expansion are being paid for through a loan which secured against the club's (future) PL winnings. Outside investment is fairly minimal aside from the shirt/stadium sponsorship deals.

Obviously if something is beneficial to King Power then that might filter down to us, but given the fact that Thailand is currently under military rule and we're doing fine, I'd suggest we'll continue to do so after the election.

Unless relegated I guess 

Just now, LinekersLugs said:

Loving your insight , thank you 

never thought that following City world mean following Far East  geo political happenings 

It is crazy, politically, out here. It wouldn't even surprise me if the current PM out here cancelled the March 24th elections. He's done it before.

And this is totally unchartered territory, with a Royal family member, and sister of the King, entering the political arena.

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Basically this.

The current military government are honouring the King Power contract. This is due to run out next year (2020).

After that, anything could happen, and that is when it could effect Leicester City.

43 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Unless relegated I guess 

That's the worry, but I imagine that's partly why we've waited until now to begin the developments. 

This season we're in a fairly comfortable position not to get relegated. The top end of the Championship isn't that strong this year so I'd be confident of (at least) staying up next season as well. That's at least 2 seasons, probably 3, of PL money. By that point the majority of the loan is paid off, and if we were relegated parachute payments and a few player sales would be enough for us to bounce back with a youngish squad, as @davieG said.

We'll be fine.

Edited by Xen

It looks to me as though our owners are extremely savvy businessmen who bought the club as part of a long term strategy to reduce the dependence of their businesses on the monopoly contract at Thailand's airports. They probably decided long ago that this position would not last forever. However such is King Power's dominance that even if other businesses were allowed a piece of the action after their current contract ends in 2020 King Power would almost certainly remain the dominant business in their sector.

3 hours ago, Guybino said:

Isn’t Tom Hopper and Pearce Junior living in Phuket? 

2 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

It is crazy, politically, out here. It wouldn't even surprise me if the current PM out here cancelled the March 24th elections. He's done it before.

And this is totally unchartered territory, with a Royal family member, and sister of the King, entering the political arena.

i wonder if it has been done to ‘combat’ the military.. from what i have read in the past, they are reluctant to interfere with the royal family and so having someone from the royal family as prime minster throws a huge spanner in the works for them. interfering with a royal family member will hugely devide  the military.

2 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

It looks to me as though our owners are extremely savvy businessmen who bought the club as part of a long term strategy to reduce the dependence of their businesses on the monopoly contract at Thailand's airports. They probably decided long ago that this position would not last forever. However such is King Power's dominance that even if other businesses were allowed a piece of the action after their current contract ends in 2020 King Power would almost certainly remain the dominant business in their sector.

Exactly you’d expect their assets across something more tangible now than reliant on a single contract 

1 hour ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Just as I thought FT was getting classy:)

You are joking.  There is more chance of a Brexit deal being done than FT becoming the slightest bit classy.

• Haha 2