Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Brewing political Crisis in Thailand

3 hours ago, MPH said:

i wonder if it has been done to ‘combat’ the military.. from what i have read in the past, they are reluctant to interfere with the royal family and so having someone from the royal family as prime minster throws a huge spanner in the works for them. interfering with a royal family member will hugely devide  the military.

Although she is the sister of the King and a member of the Royal family, she is also slightly detached to them as she relinquished her title. Married an American, lived in America, acted in a few Thai films. Not a typical Thai Royal family member. One of her children was tragically killed in the boxing day Tsunami of 2004.

The military fully support and defend the Thai Royal family. However, as far as I know the Royal family have not actively stood for election and their political position is kept secret. To now have a Royal stand against them, however detached, is unchartered territory. 

It is huge news out here. We've just been out for dinner and my girl tells me nearly all the talk by Thai people around the restaurant was about the Princess standing for PM. She is very popular and  will be a huge favourite to win.

The current PM out here, Prayut, has already cancelled free elections since he became PM in the military coup of 2014, (I think three times now), so it wouldn't surprise me if next month's are cancelled too.

As for how LCFC stand over this remains to be seen. With King Power's duty free contracts due to run out in 2020, I know they will be watching the situation very closely. From what I gather, they have a better chance of continuing their monopoly if the Princess's party wins, as the current PM has already stated the monopoly will end after the contract finishes next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Just announced over here at 22.40pm (20 minutes ago) that the King has stated she can not stand for PM.

being reported on BBC just now that he is declaring her run as ‘inappropriate’.

Just now, MPH said:

being reported on BBC just now that he is declaring her run as ‘inappropriate’.

That's what Thai news are reporting too. Even though she relinquished her title.

However, the party she was joining are still running, and are hot favourites to win, should the election take place.

4 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Could it have been a bit of a publicity stunt? Just to sway more voters in favour on the party she supposedly was set to lead? Or is it a well known fact in Thailand where the royals political allegiances are? 

You can think that....but I couldn't possibly comment!

The party she joined were and are clear favourites to win, even before she announced standing this morning. Hence why it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the election is cancelled.

13 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

That's what Thai news are reporting too. Even though she relinquished her title.

However, the party she was joining are still running, and are hot favourites to win, should the election take place.

help us to understand the thai royal family/ politics.

by the king declaring it as extremely inappropriate, does this mean his will carries such weight she will not stand or the party will not allow her to stand or the parliament system will not accept her nomintion or is it possible she and the party will ignore his statement?

Edited by MPH

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

help us to understand the thai royal family/ politics.

by the king declaring it as e trembly inappropriate, does this mean his will carries such weight she will not stand or the party will not allow her to stand or the parliament system will not accept her nomintion or is it possible she and the party will ignore his statement?

If the King says she can't stand, that's it. She will have no option but to pull out.

If the political party ignores the King they could all be locked up for seven years under Thailand's strict lese majeste laws. And I'm not joking. Even not standing for the King at the cinema can lead to the same jail sentence. Ignoring the King, being a critic, or offending the King is a major crime.

Edited by ThaiFox

3 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

If the King says she can't stand, that's it. She will have no option but to pull out.

If the political party ignores the King they could all be locked up for seven years under Thailand's strict lese majeste laws. And I'm not joking. Even not standing for the King at the cinema can lead to the same jail sentence. Ignoring the King, being a critic, or offending the King is a major crime.

I remember being told off by an usher for not standing for the National Anthem at the end of the film when I was a young kid back in the day.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I remember being told off by an usher for not standing for the National Anthem at the end of the film when I was a young kid back in the day.

Those were the days! My grandfather stood up every night to the National Anthem when TV closed for the night!

7 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

So a win for her is good 

and a win for the army is potentially bad ? 

My understanding is that King Power have rather successfully managed to bridge the divide between being friends of the royals and working with the military? Apologies if somebody else has also made, or debunked, this point. 

21 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

but  has he actually said she can’t stand or just declared it as inappropriate?

To me there is a difference... but maybe not for thailand?

Edited by MPH

1 minute ago, Toddybad said:

My understanding is that King Power have rather successfully managed to bridge the divide between being friends of the royals and working with the military? Apologies if somebody else has also made, or debunked, this point. 

Not sure if King Power are working with the military, who have already stated their duty free monopoly must end next year.

They are friends of the Royals, the new King sponsored Vichai's funeral, and the late King bestowed them a Royal name.

The party the princess was standing for was the party of Thaksin & Yingluck, who awarded King Power the duty free monopoly. They were ousted by the military in 2014.

So it's a mixed scenario!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MPH said:

but  has he actually said she can’t stand or just declared it as inappropriate?

To me there is a difference... but maybe not for thailand?

If the King says it's inappropriate then it means 'you can't stand'!

If she does, she risks severe punishment, or will have to flee Thailand.

The party she was standing will now find a new potential PM.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

When did King Power know their duty free monopoly would end?

What are King Powers financial interests outside duty free?

I'm starting to see why we're so focused on the academy rather than splashing out the cash.

International polo and horse racing.

I’m sure whatever happens they will have a plan, it’s just sickening that these type of affairs occur at the wrong time, King power should be at least be allowed to mourn properly for their founding farther, rather than be potentially face completely losing their duty free empire. I must admit I’m a bit naive when it comes to this side of the world and it’s political affairs, but it all seems more farcical than our own?  

53 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

I’m sure whatever happens they will have a plan, it’s just sickening that these type of affairs occur at the wrong time, King power should be at least be allowed to mourn properly for their founding farther, rather than be potentially face completely losing their duty free empire. I must admit I’m a bit naive when it comes to this side of the world and it’s political affairs, but it all seems more farcical than our own?  

They're now investing heavily in the academy. But in the long term those investments will be amortised. And the profits will keep coming.

Are we their plan?

11 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

It is crazy, politically, out here. It wouldn't even surprise me if the current PM out here cancelled the March 24th elections. He's done it before.

And this is totally unchartered territory, with a Royal family member, and sister of the King, entering the political arena.

Same here mate. No big jars of olives in Lidl, pretty much since the self-mutilation started 2 years ago. World's gone mad.

:thumbup:

4 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Jokes aside, thanks for giving us a feel for the situation.

We would be a bit lost without your input.:appl:

4 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Has yhe kibg said it is inappropriate? 

To be honest i woyld be shicjed if princess anne stood in election. 

Last month the queen spoke at at a wi meeting and told the lafies that we should find a compromise and get brexit done (as the royals fear the eu  undermines their leadership role). .. yet hard... soft  or wnd ref and stay are political positiobs... brenda seemed to be going for mays soft brexit

• Sad 1