Jump to content
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

It would be far more than as the whole country wasn't voting this week. Nothing in Scotland, London or many other cities or towns. 

 

Hope your Dad is OK as well.

I based it on 72 councils of 248 being about 29% of the electorate. It’s probably not even close is it, London is so densely populated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MattP said:

It really isn't. 

 

If it was completely legal to throw food and drink over politicians they would get drenched every time they went out to campaign - for good reason you can't do these things.

Good. Maybe then they'd start doing their jobs instead of playing power games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

First of all, you're quoting/following Mike Stuchbery, whose questionable reporting and tactics have been reported before. He's got a history with Tommy Robinson and a massive leftist/SJW bias - his content should be taken with a hugh pinch of salt.

http://britishchronicle.net/2018/06/24/fake-news-historian-mike-stuchbery/

 

Secondly, how about some context and/or additional background information?

 

I'm not sure how you can complain about questionable reporting and bias and then back it up by referencing that article, which is one of the most bizarre things I've read in some time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Guest said:

I'm not sure how you can complain about questionable reporting and bias and then back it up by referencing that article, which is one of the most bizarre things I've read in some time

Oh, it was the first one that I found. Don't agree with the way it presents the facts, but the facts are there.

 

You can delve into the subject and find numerous reports on Stuchbery's worldview - just look at Stuchbery's Twitter feed. It's utterly bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just find it bizarre that the people laughing at people lobbing milkshake over Robinson are the same people who decried mindless violence when someone egged Corbyn. 

 

This is where politics has to be better. Instead of lobbing eggs or milkshakes at people, or sending bricks to their free post address, why not just have a better ****ing argument?!

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MattP said:

This wouldn't surprise me one bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48161178

Local elections: Senior Tories urge compromise on Brexit

"Senior Conservatives have urged Tory MPs to compromise with Labour to ensure Brexit is delivered, in the wake of the party's dismal local election results"

 

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the party needed to listen to the results and be "in the mood for compromise".

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Hancock said the nation wanted MPs to "get on, deliver Brexit, and then move on".

 

Looks like it's happening.  The Conservatives appear ready to cave in to Labour's demands to get Brexit (BRINO) over with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48161178

Local elections: Senior Tories urge compromise on Brexit

"Senior Conservatives have urged Tory MPs to compromise with Labour to ensure Brexit is delivered, in the wake of the party's dismal local election results"

 

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the party needed to listen to the results and be "in the mood for compromise".

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Hancock said the nation wanted MPs to "get on, deliver Brexit, and then move on".

 

Looks like it's happening.  The Conservatives appear ready to cave in to Labour's demands to get Brexit (BRINO) over with.  

I wouldn’t count on it. If the euro elections go as expected, the militant tories will feel vindicated in pushing a hard brexit.

Edited by Strokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I wouldn’t count on it. If the euro elections go as expected, the militant tories will feel vindicated in pushing a hard brexit.

I think May will do everything she can to ensure a deal is done so the elections on the 23rd don't go ahead.  They are absolutely desperate to avoid a fight with Farage now.

 

Based on the results of this week I can't imagine Labour are keen on the idea either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

I think May will do everything she can to ensure a deal is done so the elections on the 23rd don't go ahead.  They are absolutely desperate to avoid a fight with Farage now.

 

Based on the results of this week I can't imagine Labour are keen on the idea either.

 

 

The problem being it would split both parties. 

 

Can’t see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I find it so strange that people who are bothered enough to go and do those things to him don't understand that what they did plays into his narrative and encourages his support. 

 

People really do need to be better.

Absolutely. This goes for the multitude of online platforms banning people too. It just adds to their narrative of “the powers that be don’t want me to tell you this”. It emboldens his support and worst of all sends it underground so it doesn’t get challenged adequately. Lobbing eggs and drinks and screaming racist or fascist isn’t an argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, urban.spaceman said:

Absolutely. This goes for the multitude of online platforms banning people too. It just adds to their narrative of “the powers that be don’t want me to tell you this”. It emboldens his support and worst of all sends it underground so it doesn’t get challenged adequately. Lobbing eggs and drinks and screaming racist or fascist isn’t an argument. 

I can see what you're saying, but a counterargument: thanks to those selfsame "underground" internet platforms that those folks can use even if such support gets challenged out in the world it doesn't actually nullify the idea in the same way as it once would have done. Griffin got made a fool of when a light was shone on him on the Beeb, but the same treatment wouldn't work in the same way today - Tommy's fans would simply keep yelling victim and reaching out to the disaffected and easily manipulated using the platforms they do have, that is what they have always been good at.

 

Sunlight used to be the best disinfectant for such neofascist ideas, but thanks to the multitude of ways such views can be disseminated now I'm not sure that still holds true. Of course, deplatforming on the major networks does exactly as you say, but if what I think above is accurate then challenging their ideas in the light of day won't be effective at neutralising them either - and they do need to be neutralised, both in the UK and more importantly out in the rest of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If Corbyn enables this Tory Brexit, he can fvck off.

 

I gave my vote to the LDs in the locals as a message to Labour, and if necessary I'll hold my nose and do it in a GE.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I can see what you're saying, but a counterargument: thanks to those selfsame "underground" internet platforms that those folks can use even if such support gets challenged out in the world it doesn't actually nullify the idea in the same way as it once would have done. Griffin got made a fool of when a light was shone on him on the Beeb, but the same treatment wouldn't work in the same way today - Tommy's fans would simply keep yelling victim and reaching out to the disaffected and easily manipulated using the platforms they do have, that is what they have always been good at.

 

Sunlight used to be the best disinfectant for such neofascist ideas, but thanks to the multitude of ways such views can be disseminated now I'm not sure that still holds true. Of course, deplatforming on the major networks does exactly as you say, but if what I think above is accurate then challenging their ideas in the light of day won't be effective at neutralising them either - and they do need to be neutralised, both in the UK and more importantly out in the rest of the world.

I agree with you, though I would argue that he’s never been challenged adequately enough in the media, not in the same way Griffin was. You’re right too about the age of social media making it much harder to hold people like him to account, but I stand by my view that banning them completely is not helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buce said:

 

The problem being it would split both parties. 

 

Can’t see it happening. 

True, would have been unimaginable a few months or even weeks ago.

 

But both parties are running scared IMO and may decide to pin their hopes on getting something through now and hope the fire dies down by 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I agree with you, though I would argue that he’s never been challenged adequately enough in the media, not in the same way Griffin was. You’re right too about the age of social media making it much harder to hold people like him to account, but I stand by my view that banning them completely is not helpful. 

That's fair enough - perhaps giving Tommy a proper show of the TV lights might do the trick, only one way to find out.

 

Banning completely probably doesn't help, but I'm not sure that it hurts any more than them keeping a platform there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You have to laugh at Leavers fretting over being annihilated in the EU elections if May does a deal with Corbyn.

 

Watch my lips: 'If May does a deal with Corbyn we will be leaving the EU'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buce said:

 

You have to laugh at Leavers fretting over being annihilated in the EU elections if May does a deal with Corbyn.

 

Watch my lips: 'If May does a deal with Corbyn we will be leaving the EU'

You said that without moving your lips :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buce said:

 

You have to laugh at Leavers fretting over being annihilated in the EU elections if May does a deal with Corbyn.

 

Watch my lips: 'If May does a deal with Corbyn we will be leaving the EU'

I really don’t get what’s in it for Corbyn, though. 

 

Labour seem desperate for a second vote, so the last thing they would want is Corbyn facilitating a deal to leave, no?

 

And if there is a deal made between the two, surely it would have to include customs agreements and movement of people (?). Tory remainers wouldn’t want anything to do with Corbyn and Tory leavers wouldn’t want anything to do with those compromises. 

 

She needs to get in the bin and someone with a (metaphorical) set of balls take the reins. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You said that without moving your lips :D

 

 

That’s nothing, mate - BoJo can talk out of his arse without moving his cheeks... 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Buce said:

If Corbyn enables this Tory Brexit, he can fvck off.

 

I gave my vote to the LDs in the locals as a message to Labour, and if necessary I'll hold my nose and do it in a GE.

Will you though? When it comes down to it you'll have a choice between the Tories or Labour being in power.

 

I don't want to vote Tory at the minute - but I probably still would given the people who would be in charge of the nation if they lose.

 

28 minutes ago, Milo said:

I really don’t get what’s in it for Corbyn, though. 

 

Labour seem desperate for a second vote, so the last thing they would want is Corbyn facilitating a deal to leave, no?

 

And if there is a deal made between the two, surely it would have to include customs agreements and movement of people (?). Tory remainers wouldn’t want anything to do with Corbyn and Tory leavers wouldn’t want anything to do with those compromises. 

 

She needs to get in the bin and someone with a (metaphorical) set of balls take the reins. 

Corbyn has only two desires in thus whole thing.

 

1. Leave the EU - something he has always wanted. 

 

2. Not be blamed for doing so - hence the "Tory Brexit" narrative he is so keen to develop. 

 

Number two is the hard part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MattP said:

Will you though? When it comes down to it you'll have a choice between the Tories or Labour being in power.

 

I don't want to vote Tory at the minute - but I probably still would given the people who would be in charge of the nation if they lose.

 

 

Definitely, yes. 

 

The Liberals are the only realistic challenger in my constituency anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at a complete loss as there’s genuinely no party out there that’s fit for purpose. I’ve pretty much always felt this way about General Elections but at this particular moment It’s beyond awful. I’ve often thought that the Lib Dems and Greens should find some common policy ground and merge as they have good ideals but struggle with any real depth in policy and experience to be credible and for voters to hold confidence in. The big two are both complete poison and the offshoots of new options are quite frankly just a bizarre collection of disaffected politicians who are excluded but carry no real world weight.

 

Looking across the spectrum of lack of options if I had to vote I’d go Vince Cable. At least I can look at him and feel like I could respect him as a human and as a PM. Caroline Lucas comes second (which I realise won’t be everybody’s cup of tea) And the other two can simply get in the bin - they are no longer even options.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...