Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

"All we do is pass the ball sideways and backwards" - Not any more!

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

liquid-football.jpg

But it really genuinely was liquid football! Alan Partridge would definitely approve!

The only time I can think of in the last 20 years that even comes close is this move against Liverpool in 2016:

rxLEKxy.gif

If I was Puel, on Monday I would show that video to the team 10 times in a row minimum, and explain to them THAT'S how I want you to play. Be brave, be fearless, trust in your technique and your team mates. You can do it, because you've just shown me you can do it! Every single one of you was involved in this goal! So keep moving off the ball, pass quickly and incisively, shift the team from one side to the other, and do it all game because Foxes Never Quit!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I think you could easily find quite a few clips of us having sustained periods of possession like that this season, including in other games against the big 6.

The difference here is that Tielemans was there to break the line and put Ricardo into a great crossing position. Too many times this season that pass has been missed for a more conservative option.

The midfield had a really nice balance today - Ndidi did his job and Tielemans was left to do his. Puel's persistence with the unsuccessful Ndidi and Mendy partnership has arguably been one of his biggest downfalls this season. Great to see us finally using another option.

Who to date this season really was/is capable of the role that Tielemans played today? What he did today allowed Ndidi to play his role as you say and I suspect it would been the same with Mendy. We have been crying out for a genuine creative CM like Tielemans showed today for well over a season. What Puel is trying to do requires that sort of player. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Who to date this season really was/is capable of the role that Tielemans played today? What he did today allowed Ndidi to play his role and I suspect it would been the same with Mendy. We have been crying out for a genuine creative CM like Tielemans showed today for well over a season. 

I think there's an argument to say that Maddison could have been dropped in there at times this season to offer some creativity from deep - especially against the bottom-half teams at home.

• Like 1

Although it wasn't the case all game, in this period of play we saw the lads break down a team throwing everyone behind the ball defending a lead. I'm very optimistic going forward with the rest of this season after we've finally seen something like this come off.

Tielemans instrumental in the final passage of play as well, very impressed with him in particular. If he continues to put in performances like that, I'd want us to do everything we can to keep hold of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I think there's an argument to say that Maddison could have been dropped in there at times this season to offer some creativity from deep - especially against the bottom-half teams at home.

I don't disagree but have doubts that Maddison has that in him either technically or in terms of getting stuck in enough. Happy to be wrong. 

• Like 2

I think this is exactly how Puel wants us to play, judging from that footage. While it isn't the quick counterattacking style that fans love, this style if done correctly could be the key to unlocking teams that sit deep, which could be possible now judging by Tielemens performance against Spurs today.

Passing it around constantly for long periods of time among teammates frustrates the other team's players, which would cause them to try to regain possession of the ball and press our own players. In turn, this creates a bit of space left behind the opposition players who put pressure. With a player like Tielemens, he could be able to find that crucial pass into that small bit of space that would allow us to either have a shot on goal or pass to someone else who could put in a low cross, like Ricardo's today, to someone in the box.

Yes, that was a gorgeous buildup but worth considering that we basically dominated the stat sheet away against a top 3 side.  The issue is we haven’t had anyone who could do what a Tielmans did - not just as well, but even fill the same role. Puel knew this, and the better we look with Tielmans out there the more it assures that even if Tielmans himself winds up pricing himself out of our shopping cart, the club will have no option but to sign somebody who fills the same role in a side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Felt like a lot of the build-up was unnecessary.  

The goal basically comes from Ricardo playing a one-two with Youri, and then Ricardo crossing into the box. You might say the space was made for them with all the build-up, but I don't buy that. If we move it quicker, the space will be there.

thanks Pep

• Haha 1

Here's the James Maddison chance. Away supporters were down the other end so whilst it looked like a good opportunity, we didn't really get to appreciate the move in all it's glory. Fantastic play by Tielemans, that deft turn and pass opened Spurs right up! Silva, Iborra, Ndidi, Mendy, King, James... none of these players have that sort of play in their locker. At least they never showed it for us.

Also another quality cutback by Harvey Barnes! The kid has played less than 10 Premier League games... he could be a revelation for us!

4mc5iC5.gif

59 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I think you could easily find quite a few clips of us having sustained periods of possession like that this season, including in other games against the big 6.

The difference here is that Tielemans was there to break the line and put Ricardo into a great crossing position. Too many times this season that pass has been missed for a more conservative option.

The midfield had a really nice balance today - Ndidi did his job and Tielemans was left to do his. Puel's persistence with the unsuccessful Ndidi and Mendy partnership has arguably been one of his biggest downfalls this season. Great to see us finally using another option.

Claude has persisted with Ndidi/Mendy, but who could have replaced either of them? King isn't as good as either of them, and James is so slow and cumbersome that he makes Ghezzal look like Musa. Hamza has been an option, but he's still young; Puel has rightfully taken his time incorporating him into the first team. After today though, Tielemans is looking to be a difference maker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing I want to note is that with Evans in for Morgan and N'didi looking assured and decisive on the ball (thanks to Tielemans' presence freeing him up to play to his own abilities and not try to do more), we had 10 guys out there who were at least decent on the ball.  There were none of those groaner moments when you see N'didi or Mendy or Morgan or Simpson get the ball and know it's going backwards or into the stands for no reason.  People underestimate how crucial it is to have a player fill the role Tielemans did - it literally connects the entire side - but having Evans and Maguire as CBs is critical too.

Tielemans was fantastic.  He had a "hockey assist" and should have had two proper ones with decent finishing.  But as long as we have somebody out there providing the service he does - calmness, forward-thinking, threatening the over the top ball - this attack can thrive.  Remember, we went into Wembley and dominated Tottenham on the stat sheet.  How many teams have done that this season, I wonder?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Keiriel said:

Claude has persisted with Ndidi/Mendy, but who could have replaced either of them? King isn't as good as either of them, and James is so slow and cumbersome that he makes Ghezzal look like Musa. Hamza has been an option, but he's still young; Puel has rightfully taken his time incorporating him into the first team. After today though, Tielemans is looking to be a difference maker.

Spot on, mate. Tielemans came in and as soon as it was possible he was in the starting XI. 

What we saw today is what Puel had in mind and the kind of football he wants to achieve. Anyone, I repeat anyone who took a bit of time to see what he did with Nice or Lillew ould've known that's he not defensive minded, just rather cautious out of necessicity. If we can keep Tielemans and add another striker we'll be spoiled next season. With or without Puel.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2