Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

Penalties

We've really struggled to score any of our recent penalties. Off the top of my head Maddison has missed the last 2, Vardy missed one yesterday and there's the horrific penalty shootout against Man City in the cup.

In the title year and before we'd score the majority of our penalties, and it's seemed to be this year that we've started badly missing them lately. 

You score some, you miss some. Not sure there's anything else going on here. Pretty sure Maddison had scored all previous pens in his career before his miss, so perhaps he was due a miss. Vardy's was a high pressure pen with it being his first touch of the game, not surprised it was saved really. 

• Like 2

It's one of those isn't it. Vards comes on blasts the ball past Loris, happy days. However, comes on cold and fluffs, was he making a point to Puel?

As some have said Gallagher's style was terrific, does anyone know what his penalty strike rate was whilst at leicester?

8 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

His technique was theatrical too. Turned his back on the keeper then turned, run up and smashed it

Still takes them the same way now for Preston i think.....?

14 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

It's one of those isn't it. Vards comes on blasts the ball past Loris, happy days. However, comes on cold and fluffs, was he making a point to Puel?

As some have said Gallagher's style was terrific, does anyone know what his penalty strike rate was whilst at leicester?

Don't think he missed one.

I'd give em to Kasper

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

We've really struggled to score any of our recent penalties. Off the top of my head Maddison has missed the last 2, Vardy missed one yesterday and there's the horrific penalty shootout against Man City in the cup.

In the title year and before we'd score the majority of our penalties, and it's seemed to be this year that we've started badly missing them lately. 

Or you could argue we have won 2 shootouts this season and even in our title winning season Mahrez missed vs Bournemouth and Villa and Vardy vs Everton.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Bring back Gallagher, never doubted him whenever he went to take one! 

Was easily my favourite player when he was here, mostly for that penalty technique (and that backwards header he scored, can't remember who against - Palace?).

Theatrical but brilliant, seemed pretty succesful too. Removes all the psychology out of taking penalties for the striker whilst also confusing the keeper and add more doubt into them. Genius really, and surprised noone else seems to try it.

We used to be quite good at penalties - Gallagher obviously but Nugent scored 10 (or more?) in the Championship winning season, Ulloa bagged a few with conviction and even Fuchs chipped in with a handful (doing anything but chipping...). Nowadays there's only one player who I'd say I'm fairly confident in when it comes to penalties, and that's Maguire. Wonder if we'll let YT have a go...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I tell you now. If this was ever the case with any player, ever, regardless of history, form and cult status, that player is finished with me and should be finished at this club forever.

I'm not saying he did, I know he didn't, I'm just saying that anything like that is totally inexcusable and should always be to fans.

• Like 2

Vardy's penalty record is fine. Not brilliant but it's fine. 

Aside from shootouts he's only missed v Everton, Liverpool and Spurs yesterday I believe. 

There is no issue here. 14 scored and 3 missed = 82% success.

The same success rate as C Ronaldo

Screenshot_20190211-134907.jpg

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Career 18/21

Leicester 8/8

The penalty technique is indeed the best thing about Paul Gallagher. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I tell you now. If this was ever the case with any player, ever, regardless of history, form and cult status, that player is finished with me and should be finished at this club forever.

I'm not saying he did, I know he didn't, I'm just saying that anything like that is totally inexcusable and should always be to fans.

It's nonsense to even speculate that he might have missed on purpose, but then again, people will posit just about anything. 

• Like 1