Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stadt

Best musical cities

Recommended Posts

Obviously Manchester will take the cake for most with The Smiths, Oasis, Stone Roses, Chemical Brothers. Personally, London's output is underwhelming for the size of the places. New York and LA obviously dominate too.

 

Best selling artist per county (2016)

rf3m2vsgdte11.png

 

Per state (2018)

bzgdlexxtpf11.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheffield has always struck me as somewhere that consistently punches above its weight in terms of producing top bands/artists.

 

Think you're being a bit harsh on London personally. I doubt anywhere else in the world (even New York) can lay claim to making such a big contribution to pop music, culture and history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Sheffield has always struck me as somewhere that consistently punches above its weight in terms of producing top bands/artists.

 

Think you're being a bit harsh on London personally. I doubt anywhere else in the world (even New York) can lay claim to making such a big contribution to pop music, culture and history.

You're right, it's just that personally I'm not a fan of many London acts at all I worded it clumsily. 

 

As for Sheffield 

p2KVPv2GofuhBMbbUtaVrCjnIAbY-UnMF5apYeXDT6g.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=b667a13b5596ff6914a8809e95aca8bb424e6f88

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lincolnshire's big contribution is... Nicola Roberts?

 

Assuming that's as part of Girls Aloud too. She's pretty much flopped as a solo artist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bristol has a superb music scene if you aren’t arsed about guitar bands and luckily I am not. Also London musically is top tier, much better than most big cities for music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Stadt said:

You're right, it's just that personally I'm not a fan of many London acts at all I worded it clumsily. 

 

As for Sheffield 

p2KVPv2GofuhBMbbUtaVrCjnIAbY-UnMF5apYeXDT6g.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=b667a13b5596ff6914a8809e95aca8bb424e6f88

Could throw in Milburn, Richard Hawley, Toddla T, Cabaret Voltaire, Slow Club, Drenge, Dead Sons and Little Man Tate

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baker11 said:

Could throw in Milburn, Richard Hawley, Toddla T, Cabaret Voltaire, Slow Club, Drenge, Dead Sons and Little Man Tate

Moloko too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the heck does Built to Spill take Idaho over Slipknot? :blink:

 

edit: Of course Slipknot is from Iowa, hence the name of their debut album, oops! :blush:

Edited by spacemunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

* Sigh * the best selling band from Buckinghamshire is from the town where I live after googling and had never heard of them before. Mental scene down here.

You’ve never heard of Marillion? You must be a lot younger than you come across on here :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to harsh on London. Including it's surrounding areas you're talking about bands like The Kinks/The Rolling Stones/The Who/Led Zeppelin/Eric Clapton/The Jam/Sex Pistols/Blur.

 

That list is better Manchester's.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Way to harsh on London. Including it's surrounding areas you're talking about bands like The Kinks/The Rolling Stones/The Who/Led Zeppelin/Eric Clapton/The Jam/Sex Pistols/Blur.

 

That list is better Manchester's.

What about Liverpool?

 

The Beatles (obvs), Gerry & The Pacemakers, Frankie, Echo & The Bummymen, The Teardrop Explodes, The Christians, The La’s, The Farm, Flock of Seagulls, Cast....the list is endless

 

AND Cilla Black!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Lincolnshire's big contribution is... Nicola Roberts?

 

Assuming that's as part of Girls Aloud too. She's pretty much flopped as a solo artist.

Lincolnshire's big contribution is sausages, inbreeding and dykes (ditches, not Nicola Roberts)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alabama's biggest output is Alabama? Is there no musician that has ever come from there, or do they just have no imagination when naming their bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our near neighbours.........

 

Specials, Selector, The Enemy, Hazel O'Connor & er....Frank Ifield

 

They even have their own pop music museum FFS

Edited by boots60
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Alabama's biggest output is Alabama? Is there no musician that has ever come from there, or do they just have no imagination when naming their bands.

For Kansas it's Kansas.

 

I was confused when I saw Eminem's name where it was. Didn't realize he wasnt actually from Michigan.

 

Also Garbage being American, since I always think of Shirley who's Scottish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, LA, NYC, Nashville, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle...all produced game changing genres. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

For Kansas it's Kansas.

 

I was confused when I saw Eminem's name where it was. Didn't realize he wasnt actually from Michigan.

 

Also Garbage being American, since I always think of Shirley who's Scottish.

Yeah, but everyone knows of Kansas as a band, because "Carry on my wayward son" gets everywhere, like sonic herpes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Line-X said:

New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, LA, NYC, Nashville, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle...all produced game changing genres. 

Congo Square in New Orleans is ground zero for music as we know it apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

You’ve never heard of Marillion? You must be a lot younger than you come across on here :D

No, honestly, had to double take when it said on their wiki page they were from Aylesbury! Turned 30 end of last year and old before my time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glasgow: Simple Minds, Texas, Deacan Blue, Primal Scream, Jesus and Mary Chain

 

My two favourite groups are from Manchester and I believe Manchester has the most

gigs outside London.

Edited by Spiritwalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Glasgow: Simple Minds, Texas, Deacan Blue, Primal Scream, Jesus and Mary Chain

Belle and Sebastian too.

 

Warwickshire and Worcestershire is pretty abysmal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...