Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Claude Puel reveals his plan for Leicester City, involving Youri Tielemans and James Maddison

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

I really think the build up to the goal highlights the importance of Evans in the team over Morgan. Yes, Morgan has been a club legend and will still have a part to play as a squad player, but the way Evans was spraying that ball around was a breath of fresh air. 

So, so much this.  Evans doesn't give you Harry's random bombing runs forward (the main question being who those annoy more, his team or the opposition) but he gives you calm, assertive distribution from the back.  Hard to overstate how important that is, especially when we have time on the ball (as we did on Sunday and will for most of the run in to the finish).  Evans isn't the most spectacular defender at any one element of the game, but he's rock solid at everything.  What a steal at what we paid for him.

Really, I think Tieleman's main impact in the 4-3-3 is going to be against those sides who previously sat back, knowing we didn't have the ability to break them down.  Would you want to park the bus and give that guy time to pick out whatever attack he wants?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It seems strange to say, but what dropping Vardy did give is movement and a shed load of it.

Or perhaps the word more appropriate is rotation or recycling.

Seeing Barnes, Maddison, Chilwell, Tielemans, Gray all dropping back for the pass, then pushing forward to receive the next pass was thing of beauty.

A Man City-lite type level of movement. Get this going consistently Claude and you will be in business.

Vardy is a natural lethal striker, there is no doubt about this, but I am not sure he has level of interchange in his locker.

This is a very good point.  It's easy to say "Vardy would have finished those great chances we had" (though that overlooks his poor finishing of late).  But would we have generated all those chances with Vardy in the lineup?  Barnes and Gray - and even Ghezzal - whatever their faults do move a ton during a match.  Vardy more or less prefers to camp deep and try to slip in behind the defenders and wait for the over the top ball, or poach something at close range (which he did effectively when we finally did score).  That's why he was so much better with another striker (especially Shinji) playing underneath him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

This is a very good point.  It's easy to say "Vardy would have finished those great chances we had" (though that overlooks his poor finishing of late).  But would we have generated all those chances with Vardy in the lineup?  Barnes and Gray - and even Ghezzal - whatever their faults do move a ton during a match.  Vardy more or less prefers to camp deep and try to slip in behind the defenders and wait for the over the top ball, or poach something at close range (which he did effectively when we finally did score).  That's why he was so much better with another striker (especially Shinji) playing underneath him.

Must admit, I had not considered this (just how important Shinji’s endless movement was), but think you are right. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

From the Mercury:

Claude Puel believes his young Leicester City side have completed the first step in their transformation under his management, .......

However, he said the next step was to develop a more clinical edge in the final third and start taking the chances they have been creating, and start picking up the points he believes their efforts deserve.

“The first step is to have the opportunity to hurt the opponent and to play good football and create chances,” Puel said after the 3-1 defeat to Spurs at Wembley.

“We have taken the first step. Now we have to find the second step with a clinical edge, the composure and calm in the final third......

“I hope now there will be a little more clinical to finish in the final third. I think Maddie and Tielemans, Gray, Barnes and Ghezzal can have this good clinical edge with a little more freedom in our play, composure and calm to finish and compete a little ...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/claude-puel-reveals-plan-leicester-2532476

-------------------------------

I just quoted some of Puel's statements from the Mercury piece to highlight something I find very worrying.

In all his talk about his plans to make us more clinical in the final third..he doesn't mention Vardy!?

1 minute ago, ultrafox said:

I just quoted some of Puel's statements from the Mercury piece to highlight something I find very worrying.

In all his talk about his plans to make us more clinical in the final third..he doesn't mention Vardy!?

Articles are emerging about post-Vardy planning so cannot say I am that surprised. By using Gray, he gets to see what a quick, skilful forward would be like in a match environment. All helps define the summer shopping list! As I stated above, without Vardy we were far more fluid with movement and passing interchange.

Disclaimer. I love Vardy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Vardy has been great for us, but it is time to move on. Using him as a super sub (penalties aside!) is not such a bad idea. I would start him against Palace though to see how he works in the new system.

Vardy is not undroppable, but no need to rub it in. It is time perhaps for Kasper to sit on the bench.

Edited by foxinsox

5 hours ago, Lesta blue said:

It will be interesting to see who will play in that 1 DM role when Mendy is fit. I can only suspect that Hamza will be surplus to requirement is Wilf and Mendy were to rotate/ cover in that role. 

I can see the possibility of Hamza moving on in the summer. 

Really?? There is absolutely zero chance of this happening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Thought the ITKs said he was getting the sack. 

So you think he would start his interview by saying he was getting the ‘tin tack’ in five months .........

he he has always been completely professional in his attitude and duties, despite lots of things going on behind the scenes which undermine his position. We can not fault him for that attitude..

as as far as one holding player is concerned, I always thought we had two in order to cover the risks re the full backs being both high up the pitch at the same time - remember Bournemouth?  Sunday was different and I expect spurs playing the same tactic meant that was less of an issue as  they use their full backs to get high rather than wingers. and remember that in winks and skipp, they hardly had a ‘beefy’ midfield pairing. 

its fine to change but clubs will see see the difference and try to exploit the space it leaves - so just being too open could be a risk but perhaps it’s one we should take at home against sitting teams ??

15 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Really?? There is absolutely zero chance of this happening.

Think about it. There is little chance of him making another start this season with this formation. Even if Tielermans is not signed in the summer we will get a replacement. Puell's preference for Mendy and Ndidi means game time for Hamza is very remote. 

He's already 21 and 1 or 2 seasons in the wilderness will mean he will be a forgotten player like many others before him. 

6 minutes ago, Lesta blue said:

Think about it. There is little chance of him making another start this season with this formation. Even if Tielermans is not signed in the summer we will get a replacement. Puell's preference for Mendy and Ndidi means game time for Hamza is very remote. 

He's already 21 and 1 or 2 seasons in the wilderness will mean he will be a forgotten player like many others before him. 

Could imagine that N'didi will get poached if he plays as on Sunday, so Hamza should bide his time

1 hour ago, ultrafox said:

That’s very astute observation. He did play Gray up top who should have scored and I get the impression that won’t be the last time we see that tried. But he can’t discard Vardy. Sure long term we need someone else but he is the fans favourite player and though he hit a poor penalty his movement and finish showed why he’s such a crucial player for us. 

But it it wouldn’t surprise me if Puel in an ideal world would get rid of all of the players over 30. Look at Chelsea as an example; older players can sometimes hold too much power and determine the fate of the manager. Despite their flaws it’s easy to see that the young players listen to Puel and can be moulded into the style of play he wants. The older ones can do it too but there’s bound to be conflict when such large scale changes take place. 

Ive hated the football set up and style for 14 months as CP refused to change the style or play with the players he did have that could have made the football less awful. That’s really been my only problem with him aside from some substitutions.

4231 with two DM’s in a double pivot made me not want to watch the football and stripped the joy out of LCFC and made me honestly feel down and sad!

I was finally impressed with the football at the weekend considering the youth in the side and if I’m honest didn’t have a problem with him dropping Vardy though after the 14 month wait for a midfielder who has an ounce of vision we didn’t get to see if it improved his game until the 2nd half.

If he doesn’t start Vardy at the weekend then he should go in the summer and Kasper as well which will make Evans our eldest starting player - big risk though as I’m yet to be convinced that there’s enough goals and talent yet in Gray Barnes Maddison and Ghezzal at PL level. 

If after all this he is he goes back against Palace to 4231 without YT on then I’d like to be euthanised before kick off please.

Until then Puel can have a stay of execution but I won’t quite say ‘in’ yet as there are other managers who could play these youthful players too - he’s not the Messiah of strategy he’s made out to be on here. 

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Ive hated the football set up and style for 14 months as CP refused to change the style or play with the players he did have that could have made the football less awful. That’s really been my only problem with him aside from some substitutions.

4231 with two DM’s in a double pivot made me not want to watch the football and stripped the joy out of LCFC and made me honestly feel down and sad!

I was finally impressed with the football at the weekend considering the youth in the side and if I’m honest didn’t have a problem with him dropping Vardy though after the 14 month wait for a midfielder who has an ounce of vision we didn’t get to see if it improved his game until the 2nd half.

If he doesn’t start Vardy at the weekend then he should go in the summer and Kasper as well which will make Evans our eldest starting player - big risk though as I’m yet to be convinced that there’s enough goals and talent yet in Gray Barnes Maddison and Ghezzal at PL level. 

If after all this he is he goes back against Palace to 4231 without YT on then I’d like to be euthanised before kick off please.

Until then Puel can have a stay of execution but I won’t quite say ‘in’ yet as there are other managers who could play these youthful players too - he’s not the Messiah of strategy he’s made out to be on here. 

Could you pull up a quote to back this claim? lol 

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Names?  And availability?

So, Vardy is a god but anyone can see he's been a little off this season.  I said to my lad after 5-6 games that he looks like he's losing the edge on his pace - let's not forget he's now 32 so hardly surprising.  We all know his game is built on speed and getting behind the defence so again, no coincidence that he's not been scoring so readily.  Vardy himself says he needs to adapt his own game to fit the system (and his advancing years) and he should use his experience/positional sense to become the 'fox in the box' just like he did very well on Sunday - more of a goal poaching Tony Cottee role.  Playing like he did on Sunday, with the team set up as it was, Vardy can still do very well.  Vardy is great, we all love him and he's our best goalscorer by a mile, but he's not the future

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, huggybear said:

So, Vardy is a god but anyone can see he's been a little off this season.  I said to my lad after 5-6 games that he looks like he's losing the edge on his pace - let's not forget he's now 32 so hardly surprising.  We all know his game is built on speed and getting behind the defence so again, no coincidence that he's not been scoring so readily.  Vardy himself says he needs to adapt his own game to fit the system (and his advancing years) and he should use his experience/positional sense to become the 'fox in the box' just like he did very well on Sunday - more of a goal poaching Tony Cottee role.  Playing like he did on Sunday, with the team set up as it was, Vardy can still do very well.  Vardy is great, we all love him and he's our best goalscorer by a mile, but he's not the future

100% agree - but it seems its sacriligious to even infer he may not be suitable to a change in system (Which IS required in my opinion) or is slowly on a downward curve.

Trouble is, over the recent years he has become such a focal point, it almost prevents us from having the movement in the final third as we saw on Sunday.

Gray was not great, but his movement coupled with many of the other young players was very good.

• Like 2

Quite worrying how he thought Mendy was the better choice to play the holding role over Ndidi. Mendy does have some qualities but to do that role on his own is a brave gamble, it is what Ndidi thrives on. I hope Puel now reluctantly goes with this formation and line up and Mendy sits out for a while. Choudhury should be 2nd in the pecking order but I do worry he follows the ball a bit too much and would also be pressing high up the pitch but as a tackler he is far superior.

• Thanks 1