Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Claude Puel reveals his plan for Leicester City, involving Youri Tielemans and James Maddison

We have dropped a load of points in the last few matches because we are underachieving, not because we are underperforming.  This is in stark contrast to our earlier form when we were deficient in both departments.  Unless CP plays the right team, i.e. skilled players in form who are not going to make horrendous mistakes each match or miss simple chances, then we are likely to continue to underachieve, shipping sloppy goals and missing decent chances.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Or he’s kept tweaking the system because he knew that before Tielemans, he didn’t have the personnel to make this one work the way he wanted it to.

More than likely true. But we don't have the man c finance's to throw £300m at it in one window. Our evolution takes longer and people need to be patient. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, huggybear said:

So, Vardy is a god but anyone can see he's been a little off this season.  I said to my lad after 5-6 games that he looks like he's losing the edge on his pace - let's not forget he's now 32 so hardly surprising.  We all know his game is built on speed and getting behind the defence so again, no coincidence that he's not been scoring so readily.  Vardy himself says he needs to adapt his own game to fit the system (and his advancing years) and he should use his experience/positional sense to become the 'fox in the box' just like he did very well on Sunday - more of a goal poaching Tony Cottee role.  Playing like he did on Sunday, with the team set up as it was, Vardy can still do very well.  Vardy is great, we all love him and he's our best goalscorer by a mile, but he's not the future

I'm still not buying it that Vardy has lost his pace, we've literally spent the majority of the season being unable to release him in the channels where he's dynamite. I'm looking forward to seeing if Tielemans can get early balls through to him to test this theory, if he is on the decline then he has to adapt otherwise we've 3 and a half years of 150 bags a week for an unhappy player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

we've literally spent the majority of the season being unable to release him in the channels

unable or unwilling due to the system we've been playing?  A lot of the fans frustration has come from us sitting in the stands screaming for the traditional ball for Vardy to run on to, but either none of the players seeing it or not having a ball player capable of playing it.  I guess my point is that we play a different game now and while Vardy will always have the speed part of his game in his locker, it's now going to be used less and less and so lets use him more as a poacher with balls across the box like we created many times on Sunday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

Lots of positivity on here after a defeat.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, ...

The next five home games - all very winnable - will see what Puel and his grand schemes are really made of.

This is it for me.

We've shown that we can go away to the big clubs and play very good football.

We should have got something from Man United, we gave Arsenal a horrible time before they turned it on in the second half, we beat Chelsea, we drew with Liverpool, we should have beaten Spurs and we've only got Man City to come.

Trouble is, for all that good football, we have 4 points to show for it. We've got 14 points at home all season (point more that Newcastle and a point less than Fulham) and that's where we've struggled.

Until we consistently show that we can beat (or at least play well) against the 'lesser' teams in the league then it will always be Puel Out for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

So, so much this.  Evans doesn't give you Harry's random bombing runs forward (the main question being who those annoy more, his team or the opposition) but he gives you calm, assertive distribution from the back.  Hard to overstate how important that is, especially when we have time on the ball (as we did on Sunday and will for most of the run in to the finish).  Evans isn't the most spectacular defender at any one element of the game, but he's rock solid at everything.  What a steal at what we paid for him.

Really, I think Tieleman's main impact in the 4-3-3 is going to be against those sides who previously sat back, knowing we didn't have the ability to break them down.  Would you want to park the bus and give that guy time to pick out whatever attack he wants?

This is what I'm excited to see.

Judging by the numerous youtube compilations he's not afraid of a shot from distance, and is pretty succesful with it too. If teams sit back and allow us possession in that space just in front of their box then that's perfect for him to fire one away. The game against United was screaming out for someone (not Ndidi) to take a pop from distance.

Then if the opposition do venture out a bit and close us down we can move the ball around and hopefully create space in behind for one of Vardy's - or, based on Sunday, Barnes' - runs.

6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Just re-read any old post you’ve written over the last 4 months. ?

I cant think of anyone saying he's a tactical genius, or even praised his tactics much apart from ''Puel got the tactics spot on today'' when we beat Man City or some such mugs

But carry on talking bollocks Swan ;)

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I cant think of anyone saying he's a tactical genius, or even praised him much apart from ''Puel got the tactics spot on today'' when we beat Man City or some such mugs

But carry on talking bollocks Swan ;)

Well people spending 14 months defending playing a 4231 system with two DM’s who can’t pass the ball forwards and then praising his genius when he finally loans a player to have a prayer of making the system work is perhaps what I’m referring to!

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

Lots of positivity on here after a defeat.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, ...

The next five home games - all very winnable - will see what Puel and his grand schemes are really made of.

Well absolutely. If we still struggle at home for the rest of the season and Puel gets given the boot he's got no excuses. 

What might be more interesting is if results are indifferent but performances are very good? I imagine the Puel boo-boys will still be out in full force but that one might not be so clear cut. If the team is playing very well but being a bit unlucky surely that is more palatable than not getting results but never looking like getting a result in the first place? We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm still not buying it that Vardy has lost his pace, we've literally spent the majority of the season being unable to release him in the channels where he's dynamite. I'm looking forward to seeing if Tielemans can get early balls through to him to test this theory, if he is on the decline then he has to adapt otherwise we've 3 and a half years of 150 bags a week for an unhappy player.

He is losing it Ric, he's not immune to time like anyone else. His pace is slowing and his stamina is dropping, that's just life and he's adapting his game. He conserves his energy more by not going wide into the channels like he used to, not chasing lost causes like a mad man all game.

His offside stats are going through the roof, you can argue he's not being released early enough. But you look at those lists and it's usually slow or aging strikers topping it as they try and steal a yard. As he ages he's likely to become far more of a poacher around the six yard box.

He's obviously slowing but I don't think it helps he's quite clearly been unfit most of the season. He's never looked right since he pulled up in the WC.

A full summer off will do him wonders, besides I think his movement and instincts for goal are excellent and I'm not really concerned if his pace does drop off a yard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well people spending 14 months defending playing a 4231 system with two DM’s who can’t pass the ball forwards and then praising his genius when he finally loans a player to have a prayer of making the system work is perhaps what I’m referring to!

We'll see where this next run of fixtures takes us.  This is our last chance to go on a proper run and beat some teams at home.  If we fail to do this then we will have merely survived this season rather than done well in the league

We have 9 games before our last 3 against top 6 sides  and we really need to be winning at least half of them to have a respectable season

We've got the midfield player we needed.  Our season hinges on this next run.  Could be Puel's last chance, if he's not already a dead man walking

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, huggybear said:

unable or unwilling due to the system we've been playing?  A lot of the fans frustration has come from us sitting in the stands screaming for the traditional ball for Vardy to run on to, but either none of the players seeing it or not having a ball player capable of playing it.  I guess my point is that we play a different game now and while Vardy will always have the speed part of his game in his locker, it's now going to be used less and less and so lets use him more as a poacher with balls across the box like we created many times on Sunday

Because we have had nothing in the middle literally nothing apart from two, slow visionless DM's everything has gone up the wings so Vardy has not had the ball released to him at pace to run on to or through balls to his feet to turn and shoot, just balls in from wide that haven't reached him. 

• Like 1

I noticed many are quite surprised or ready to judge his  actions for not starting JV. Yes hes our main striker but we really do need to find a solution/planB for when the time comes when he retires and try  a diffierent approach to attack. I cant really give Gray a bad mark on Sunday, he had a few solid chances and getting into positions to perform, On a different day he could of scored two. Considering hes a winger i was quite impressed with his adaption to being a striker, with all the pressure on his shoulders too.

I admire his workrate and confidence in being the lone striker, good on him! I did also love JV egging him on and giving him praise for that turn and shot in the game. Tells me JV is playing for the team and will help in any way and not ' how the media put it' going against the manager and them having a mass arguement/disagreement, i think its all fabricated bs cause i didnt see any of that on Sunday, only a professional doing his job.

Yes its taking 16 months but he told us!! that this will be a long transitioning 'pain phase' to change the style of play and yesterday, we got a true glimpse of what hes been aiming for and im truly excited! Careful what you wish for because id be very sad to se him sacked after all the work hes put in and finally we are seeing something he spoke of wanting. Every team has a bad run a season and this is ours.

#Puelin

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's obviously slowing but I don't think it helps he's quite clearly been unfit most of the season. He's never looked right since he pulled up in the WC.

A full summer off will do him wonders, besides I think his movement and instincts for goal are excellent and I'm not really concerned if his pace does drop off a yard. 

If he'd taken his chances this season, like he did last, it wouldn't even be an argument. People are fixated on him "running in behind", he was a great poacher last season and that's how I see him continuing.

• Like 1