Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Claude Puel reveals his plan for Leicester City, involving Youri Tielemans and James Maddison

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he'd taken his chances this season, like he did last, it wouldn't even be an argument. People are fixated on him "running in behind", he was a great poacher last season and that's how I see him continuing.

Yeah exactly. He's been in disappointing form this season by his very, very high standards. It's easy to forget he's been one of Europe's most statistically clinical strikers for the last three years. 

Still been better than most of the shit in this league though. 

I mean look at the Longs, Tosuns, Mounies, Success', Locadias and Joselus of this world. 

51 minutes ago, huggybear said:

unable or unwilling due to the system we've been playing?  A lot of the fans frustration has come from us sitting in the stands screaming for the traditional ball for Vardy to run on to, but either none of the players seeing it or not having a ball player capable of playing it.  I guess my point is that we play a different game now and while Vardy will always have the speed part of his game in his locker, it's now going to be used less and less and so lets use him more as a poacher with balls across the box like we created many times on Sunday

Probably a bit of both, I remember in the season after the title win when Vardy went about 20 games without a goal and people were screaming that he's a spent force and his legs have gone. It was a combination then of being horribly out of form, in a team that seemingly had lost all confidence and maybe an unwillingness to do what he's always done which is play football on the verge of wanting to kill people. I think he's having quite a poor season by his standards but I am not quite as quick to presume we are witnessing a decline now from the great man, I think it's a bad season and i'd not put it past him being as lethal as ever again in the future.

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He is losing it Ric, he's not immune to time like anyone else. His pace is slowing and his stamina is dropping, that's just life and he's adapting his game. He conserves his energy more by not going wide into the channels like he used to, not chasing lost causes like a mad man all game.

His offside stats are going through the roof, you can argue he's not being released early enough. But you look at those lists and it's usually slow or aging strikers topping it as they try and steal a yard. As he ages he's likely to become far more of a poacher around the six yard box.

Sorry, I perhaps didn't explain myself in my post. He might not be able to do what he does as often or for as long as he did a few seasons ago but he is still frighteningly quick when he sets off. His " pace " hasn't gone, it doesn't just go from having a few weeks off from the season before but I do have to consider his groin injuries from the World Cup could in time cause irreparable damage. We no longer as a team press like we did under Ranieri so it's been difficult to judge the change to Vardy's game, whether it's been forced because he is now in his 30's or if he conserves energy because that's what the management and player think is best served. The problem at the minute is, he's often a passenger in this team if he isn't given the ball in space. His control in tight areas goes from the sublime to the ridiculous and i'm probably excusing him more than I would other players who are out of form but i'm convinced if he was feeling more at ease with his role then everything in his game would improve. There is yet to be a striker play in Puel's system for us that seems a natural fit, that combines being involved and being alert enough to find space or get on the end of often long and laborious passages of play. He is still one of the most ruthless strikers when allowed to play his counter attacking way and I know the days are gone where we can just turn up and play that way but Puel has little choice but to try and maximize the chances of us being able to do that as much as possible or find a striker who is more suited to the style of football we now want to or are forced to play when the opposition is stubborn.

I'm quietly confident Tielemans is going to revitalise this team in the short term and i'd not be surprised to see Vardy come in to a flurry of goals, we've seen it before as I mentioned above he was in revolting nick in the 2016/17 season and then from late February through to May he was obscene. Tielemans has a vision and a footballing brain that is a cut above the majority of mediocre teams in this league, he put some probing balls through early on Sunday that Vardy would have been on to in a flash. I go back to the Watford home game which is the last home game we have played against a team outside the top 6 that didn't come and dig in and Vardy was exceptional. He was like shit off a shovel to win a penalty early on and because of that, he was then revved up for the whole game. He seemed to have shake the shackles off. His part in Maddison's wonderful goal was my favourite bit of the whole move, crazy as it sounds. But the way he won the ball, moved it and spread it to Albrighton just showed a zest for the game that we seldom see at the minute. I could be clutching at straws but this next 6 games could be like the run of games we had under Pearson when we looked dead and buried at the back end of 2014/15, they are winnable games on paper but also games up until last week we dreaded because of the repeated problems of breaking down teams who knew our nemesis. Tielemans could have the same sort of impact as Cambiasso had for us during that run, in fact i'd predict he'll be more influential as his all round game is top drawer, he's 21 and yet already seems a leader. With him, Maddison, Barnes, Chilwell and Ricardo can and will gain serious confidence from being part of an attacking unit and a home performance where we take our chances will do the whole club the world of good. This will be where Vardy will turn up again, i'm sure of it.

I can't accept that this is the beginning of the end for him, for most normal players it would be but this lad is a freak.

• Like 3

Just curious where does everyone see Mendy fitting into this formation? For me, it should be Ndidi and Hamza competing for the DM role.

Sign Tielemans permanently and keep Maddison as the LCM, then i’d say we’re another creative box to box like Tielemans away from having all the CM options we need.

Mendy won’t want to be 6th choice surely.  His contract is up in 2020 so this summer will be the last chance to cash in. My concern is that he will take Hamza’s place as a DM option, who imo could excel even better than Ndidi in that role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm still not buying it that Vardy has lost his pace, we've literally spent the majority of the season being unable to release him in the channels where he's dynamite. I'm looking forward to seeing if Tielemans can get early balls through to him to test this theory, if he is on the decline then he has to adapt otherwise we've 3 and a half years of 150 bags a week for an unhappy player.

It's a total myth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He is losing it Ric, he's not immune to time like anyone else. His pace is slowing and his stamina is dropping, that's just life and he's adapting his game. He conserves his energy more by not going wide into the channels like he used to, not chasing lost causes like a mad man all game.

His offside stats are going through the roof, you can argue he's not being released early enough. But you look at those lists and it's usually slow or aging strikers topping it as they try and steal a yard. As he ages he's likely to become far more of a poacher around the six yard box.

I'm convinced it's instruction. For all the stick I've given Iheanacho I don't think the way we've set up is exactly beneficial to our forwards.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sylofox said:

He's obviously a clueless tw@. Replacing fuchs with chilly Simpson with Ricardo Hamza coming in the team not to mention Mads and Barnes. 

No plan what so ever. 

Ffs I do wonder about some on here. 

Not sure what you're saying about my comment, dont appreciate being lumped in with Market on this matter lol

I was making the point that Tielemans has seemingly stopped us looking so stodgy and that as ive been saying all along its personell not Puel that has caused this particular issue

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

We have dropped a load of points in the last few matches because we are underachieving, not because we are underperforming.  This is in stark contrast to our earlier form when we were deficient in both departments.  Unless CP plays the right team, i.e. skilled players in form who are not going to make horrendous mistakes each match or miss simple chances, then we are likely to continue to underachieve, shipping sloppy goals and missing decent chances.  

1 point out of a possible 9 in our last 3 games against Spurs, Manchester United and Liverpool. In each game the bookies, being dispassionate about these things had us down to lose. You don't see many bookies on a bike. We played well as you say, but we didn't underachieve, the result merely went to hugely expected form. Only ardent Leicester fans, some of whom have now got an unrealistic view or bizarre sense of entitlement and lack of grip on reality would see it any other way. We are positioned in the table roughly, give or take a place, precisely where we could reasonably expect to be with this bunch of players, I thought we'd end up 10th at the start of the season for example. Logic dictates that 'usually', teams with better players beat teams with lesser one's. We should 'reasonably' for example be expected to beat the Cardiff's of this world but not beat Manchester City! The arguments and problems about deep sitting teams like Cardiff are protracted and done to death, but are nevertheless true and predate the current manager.

If Puel, after losing games, sticks to the same team he's accused of being intransigent and picking his favourites when there are supposed better options available. With the benefit of hindsight, many punters on here offer forward the team they would have picked which would have undoubtedly proved to be the clincher, however, as about a dozen different people offer about a dozen different teams, they can't all possibly be right. If he does try and change things, either tactically or personnel wise, he's then accused of meddling with the same ensuing offer of help regarding team selections, all twenty to the dozen of them! It could just be, that at this precise moment in time, no matter how we shuffle the pack, until we get certain other players in, not much will change, even with Guadiola as manager. We saw glimpses of what could be possible with the introduction of Tielemans on his debut. We were all calling for a particular type of midfielder, are we that stupid to think that Puel doesn't recognise this also? But, you can only get at any particular time, who's available, who you can afford and who wants to come in preference to any other club and it will be precisely the same in the summer transfer market also and always has been. But for two costly errors we could have won on Sunday and on another day, could have put the game to bed even before the introduction of Vardy who missed a penalty with his first kick. BUT ... sorry, we didn't underachieve, what happened over certainly the last 3 games was reasonably what we should expect, but also reasonably as football fans, we go to cheer our team on in the hope of the unexpected.

• Like 2

Vardy is still dangerous in the right circumstances, and is still a threat in behind when we do get opportunities to slide him through. He doesn't drive at people as much now, especially when out wide. It's usually turn back into midfield or attempt a cross when he knows no-one is there. 

Under Puel his link up play and touch as been shown up, like it was for England a little bit. He doesn't open himself enough for the ball to feet with his back to goal. I know its not his natural game but all strikers should be able to do that to a certain extent. He can do it at times, one bit of play on Sunday when he hold the ball up really well and put it out wide. He chooses to not make himself available a lot of the time. 

He's an absolute legend and there is no way I'd want to get rid of him but he needs reasonable competition for places.

19 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Not sure what you're saying about my comment, dont appreciate being lumped in with Market on this matter lol

I was making the point that Tielemans has seemingly stopped us looking so stodgy and that as ive been saying all along its personell not Puel that has caused this particular issue

I'll apologise for misunderstanding your comment. Just getting beyond a joke now what Puel gets blamed for. I'm sure if the sun went out some on here would blame Puel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Just curious where does everyone see Mendy fitting into this formation? For me, it should be Ndidi and Hamza competing for the DM role.

Sign Tielemans permanently and keep Maddison as the LCM, then i’d say we’re another creative box to box like Tielemans away from having all the CM options we need.

Mendy won’t want to be 6th choice surely.  His contract is up in 2020 so this summer will be the last chance to cash in. My concern is that he will take Hamza’s place as a DM option, who imo could excel even better than Ndidi in that role.

Pretty sure Mendy played this role and excelled at it in France prior to us buying him

• Like 1

Mendy or Ndidi, I don't think there's much difference. Remember Ndidi has looked absolutely atrocious multiple times in the past few months. I'm either of them will look a lot better playing their preferred role without the pressure of moving the ball forwards.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's a total myth.

Time isn't a myth, he's not immune from it.

26 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm convinced it's instruction. For all the stick I've given Iheanacho I don't think the way we've set up is exactly beneficial to our forwards.

Vardy scored 20 goals last season, he's missed an absolute barrel load this season, he gets and keeps getting chances so I don't know how it's not beneficial.

The only time he's ever had more shots per game was in the title winning season, his shots per game from counters is the same as it was in that season, shots from open play only bettered in the title season and he's getting more six yard box chances. His accuracy is the worst it's been for a while though. If he was remotely in form he'd be close to getting 20 again by the end of the season.

Looking at the stats, if something is affecting his finishing it could be that a larger proportion of his chances are now coming from his head or his left foot. Which could be down to so much of the play coming though Chilwell and his woeful floated behind people crosses.

For all the enthusiastic backing that Puel gets on here - and there is clearly a case for excusing him from some of the wilder accusations laid at his door - is it not true that we have not produced one thoroughly convincing, victorious 90-minute Premier League performance all season?

In contrast, there have been a lot of very dull displays and very frustrating results, many matches in which we have been chasing the game after conceding early - especially at home.

Is it any wonder then that a large percentage of the support is against the manager? I suggest that those in the Puel-in camp who look down their noses at those who have had enough of him consider the evidence rather than the potential before they deliver their patronising, holier-than-thou put-downs to those who disagree with them.

My own view is that he has to deliver on the promise (and I really hope he does) in the next five home games - eight points minimum from those - or he deserves to be sacked. Patience is a virtue but it eventually runs out.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I like to think Puel's 4-3-3 would better suit Iheanacho. Hoping he'll be less isolated, asked to do less and can concentrate on simply finishing the balls played in, as Vardy did from Ricardo on Sunday.

44 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Vardy scored 20 goals last season, he's missed an absolute barrel load this season, he gets and keeps getting chances so I don't know how it's not beneficial.

The only time he's ever had more shots per game was in the title winning season, his shots per game from counters is the same as it was in that season, shots from open play only bettered in the title season and he's getting more six yard box chances. His accuracy is the worst it's been for a while though. If he was remotely in form he'd be close to getting 20 again by the end of the season.

Looking at the stats, if something is affecting his finishing it could be that a larger proportion of his chances are now coming from his head or his left foot. Which could be down to so much of the play coming though Chilwell and his woeful floated behind people crosses.

I think you might be on to something here, his heading ability this season has been horrible. Some of the chances were difficult but there's been other chances from crosses that nowhere near troubled the goal. The West Ham game at home he must have had 2-3 headed chances that he got nowhere near the necessary precision or conviction on them.

42 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I've never claimed he's in as good form this year as before and have accepted many a time he's not had as good a season, although despite this he remains considerably our best striker option and for me should still be playing until we have genuine alternatives. Iheanacho's been a huge disappointment and Gray isn't really much of an option either I don't think certainly not as a striker.

I thought him getting 20 last year was extraordinary. He over-performed last year in a side that created little.

We have a lot of shots but I don't feel like many of them are clear cut chances. Shots that are likely to be blocked rather than clear cut chances. The supply answer makes sense to me, there haven't been enough instances of Maddison putting him through (or Gray, or Albrighton). He's in poorer form but I just can't agree with people claiming he's finished or his pace has gone. You still see bursts of pace from him that show me he hasn't lost it, he just isn't in enough situations to properly utilise it.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've never claimed he's in as good form this year as before and have accepted many a time he's not had as good a season, although despite this he remains considerably our best striker option and for me should still be playing until we have genuine alternatives. Iheanacho's been a huge disappointment and Gray isn't really much of an option either I don't think certainly not as a striker.

I thought him getting 20 last year was extraordinary. He over-performed last year in a side that created little.

We have a lot of shots but I don't feel like many of them are clear cut chances. Shots that are likely to be blocked rather than clear cut chances. The supply answer makes sense to me, there haven't been enough instances of Maddison putting him through (or Gray, or Albrighton). He's in poorer form but I just can't agree with people claiming he's finished or his pace has gone. You still see bursts of pace from him that show me he hasn't lost it, he just isn't in enough situations to properly utilise it.

This is what xG is for. And it tells us that Vardy has had enough decent opportunities that he should have about 4 more goals than he has.