Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk exile

Gordon Banks RIP

8 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Our only World Cup winner.

He deserves a statue in the city.

RIP Gordon.

We had the chance to have his statue here - the one with him holding the Jules Rimet - but prevaricated, and Stoke took it.

Found it rankled me to see it on the news with a red scarf round the neck. He was our man when we won it, and that statue should be in Leicester. 

But. to be fair, Stoke fans don't have much to celebrate, I suppose.

• Like 3

I would love to see ex-Leicester players from his period at Leicester...he at the ground,be presented and at half-time ,and make a footing tribute

to the great man...

He was the safe hand s of Leicester,  from my own foxes beginnings,until his departure...

His club and International performaces...2nd to none...and I rate Shilton at the same level ..Yashin/Jennings/ Zoff in the same sentence!!

in his playing years,I had the pleasure of being in his company more than several times,first as a very young boy...Standing in awe,but not pestering him,

when I came across him at St Marg rets swimming bath,.Teachers cleared a inquisitive crowd from getting near him....I came in later,but he  recognised me From the boy on the wall. Then coincidently at various sporting events over the years,we came across each other.

Truely a pleasant and generous man,in sharing his time...He did tell me once he likes to hide away,and knew how to disappear from over zealous journalists!!

All our heroes are of different characters,he was a type... and type from a different generation. For a young boy then to a young man also hoping to realise his own dreams...He was one of those I "wanted". and savour ed  listening too......

I ask I can't demand...but ask sometimes we should tone down our aggressive attitude,to our new to be starlets,and those that have given long service, to our club.

Some will never reach Gordon's heights, through bad injuries some will leave the path,while others make an above normal life,and are content, Whoever,what ever they are and what levels they reach...they have a right to receive some class and respect....!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Sad news indeed.

I met Gordon during the Mexico World Cup.

No, not the 1970 one where he made THAT save but the 1986 one. He was visiting the old Wolsey factory in Leicester (where I was working at the time) on business. It was after England had lost 1-0 to Portugal and drawn 0-0 to Morocco. I asked him if the team could recover to beat Poland and qualify for the knockout phase. Gordon said they definitely would and that he fancied Gary Lineker to score some goals.

He wasn't wrong. Lineker got a hat-trick, went on to win the Golden Boot, and England reached the quarter-finals.

I often wish he'd come back a couple of weeks later so that I could have talked to him about Maradona's handball goal.

Great goalkeeper. Great man. RIP.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Our only World Cup winner.

He deserves a statue in the city.

RIP Gordon.

He does but it wouldn't feel right now, we should have done it whilst he was alive like Stoke did.

Now it looks like a guilty afterthought.

12 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Yeh the club treated him disgracefully to be honest. They pushed him out for Shilton and never properly honoured him.

We seem very bad at remembering our history at Leicester. Look at Filbert Street as well. It’s like we don’t realise that the culture of the club is entirely rooted in our past. It’s sad because that’s how true passion from the fans is generated.

Any club in the land should have been delighted to have been associated with such a player.

RIP Gordon.

Not really, to be fair.

They had invited him to speaking events with other Ex-Leicester players as well as watching certain games at the stadium in the past (with the latter, a couple of which he attended).

Edited by Wymeswold fox

He was so reliable, a phrase summed him up: Safe as the Banks of England.

I met him once, some 15 years after he retired. He was at a car dealership in Chesterfield, helping to promote a new car. I went to meet him, not to look at cars. We had a brief chat, obviously I pointed out I'm a City fan, and I shook his hand. Always wished I could have spoken longer, or remembered to ask him for an autograph.

RIP Banks of England.

Seem to remember Alan Green on Radio 5 ripping into Banksy for having the temerity to suggest that Joe Hart was a pretty ho-hum goalie a few years ago. Green's spluttering ulster disbelief made him see an even bigger div than usual. If that's possible.

Also struck by the irony of this coming a day or two after the Schmeichel stuff. Peter S bellyaching about his multi-millionaire's sons' prospects, when Gordon had to sell his World Cup winner's medal to provide for his family.

I love Kasper for what he's done with us, but let's face it, as a keeper Banks was from a different universe.

• Like 2

As a youngster I saw him play at filbert street a few times. Unfortunately never in a city shirt as he had already moved on to Stoke before I was old enough to go to my first match.  The word legend is often overused these days but in his case it is most apt. Condolences to his family. As many have already stated I hope club, and knowing they operate I am sure they will, do something to mark our only world cup winners passing at the next home game.

• Like 1