Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk exile

Gordon Banks RIP

The reason that stoke and banks are intertwined is that he made his home in the area and spent a lot of time at the club over the past few decades.  

I don’t recall seeing him play live for the city ..... i think I saw him play at filbo for stoke but that may not be true.  I would always put Shilton as my no 1 because I saw him do the most amazing things with such consistency. Had the games of the sixties been televised as today, I suspect we would all have GB as the best ......... I hope we reach our usual high standards in honouring the man next Saturday 

I met Gordon a couple of months after England winning the world cup. We were waiting to see if we could get his autograph,  

When he came out an spoke to us he was so modest and kind.  He had all the time in the world for us it meant so much and still does.

In my opinion Leicester City's worst decision was to let Gordon Banks go and keep Peter Shilton,

• 2 weeks later...

His funeral takes place today.

Kasper Schmeichel is one of three current number-one goalkeepers of his former sides who will carry his coffin.

Scheduled to start at 13:30.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Find it so strange that LCFC seemingly don't want to know. A minutes silence/applause (that pretty much everyone did that weekend) was about it for the only person ever to lift the World Cup while in a City shirt? Very strange imo. 

This. I'm gutted that this club has failed to honour it's greatest hero.

SHAME ON THOSE WHO FAILED TO OVERSEE A FITTING PUBLIC TRIBUTE TODAY.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Find it so strange that LCFC seemingly don't want to know. A minutes silence/applause (that pretty much everyone did that weekend) was about it for the only person ever to lift the World Cup while in a City shirt? Very strange imo. 

This is what really pisses me off. Gordon Banks was one of a kind, simply by being the only English goalkeeper to lift the World Cup. He won this whilst at Leicester, yet we have never done anything to commemorate it.

If there's ever talk of a statue of Leicester legends, he should be one of the first names listed.

• Like 2

All who knew and saw Banks know he was the best goalkeeper this Club has ever had. Yes, he won the World Cup whilst at Leicester but moved on to Stoke where he and his family settled. I'm more than happy to have seen him play for us and meet him at the old Filbert Street ground. I suggest we all let him rest in peace.

It was really up to the Club back in 1966 to erect a statue of him, a more appropriate time, not now.

On 12/02/2019 at 20:08, Gordon the Great said:

Not a day to be bitter or twisted but it has always amazed me how Stoke jumped on the bandwagon and treated him as if he was one of their own, I am all for honouring this man ,the Greatest goalkeeper of his, or any other era and appreciate accolades from any club or individual.......but the facts will always remain, SIR Gordon played more games for City than he did for Stoke, He played more times for England as a City player than he did for Stoke, He won the World Cup as a City player and won more trophies playing for City than he did for Stoke.......all in all a LEICESTER CITY Legend...........appropriated Glory is always distasteful.....Rest in Peace...SIR Gordon ........ from a 64 year old little boy for whom you are still and always will be the all time Idol.

Not to denigrate the thread, but City pushed Gordon out of the door a year after winning the World Cup and then shamefully refused to pay him an agreed loyalty bonus of £2000 (not an insignificant amount of money in 1967) 

He would have almost certainly played a good number of games more for both Stoke and England had he not had the car accident which ended his career. Those of us around at the time will probably remember they were a very good, stylish side in the 1970s who consistently challenged for honours and played in Europe, but it is 'whataboutery' to suggest they would have won further trophies with Gordon in goal.

Gordon lived there for 50 years, coached their youth teams, and Stoke made him club president in the early 2000s after Stanley Matthews' death: he has an association with them that extends far beyond his playing career. Rather than criticising Stoke for honouring him, we should applaud the fitting tribute they have paid to one of world football's greatest ever players, including the statue of Gordon which City turned down. (Their Matthews statue is the gold standard of footballing tributes, and well worth a visit if you are passing or when City next visit.)

RIP Gordon Banks

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The biggest shame and embarrasment..I ever felt following my club...

It's wasnt the fans,just the lack from club management respect,towards one of our counties adopted greats!!!

Banks going,Shilton being promoted...was just one of those decisions in the football world...

Leicester fans,at charity games of events,always shown their love for the Man,he in turn always responded as a True gent,with character...

he had the class,that Wasn't to be seen in the LCFC corridors...It had softened a few years before our new owners tenure.But 5,10,20 years

after,where there were many foxes fans groups that requested,even demanded the club should not leave all the tributes to Stoke city over

all those years...But they stayed deaf...and  arrogantly dumb...Though single members were a welcoming.There was a large private movement that tried to get a major tribute,in Banks name...Statue,or large plaque..!! Said councils and Club management went into denial....

The city of Leicester peoples,loved him...the Stoke city people also grew to love and respect the man....I was glad to see an LCFC rep,in Kasper  being part of the funeral...but the club failed again to be a major part of his passing tribute and ceromony...

.Today was just another reminder of those years, of disrespect to Our Wcup and worlds greatest goalkeeper...

oh just a small thing...I always rated P.Shilton...I saw then as now,no reason why to get into any side of the argument...

Banks was a great goalkeeper,still with top years in front of him,even his Peak years...Shilton was the next shining star on the block,who even at His young age,knew he wanted regular guarranteed first team football.He knew he would soon be the England's Goalkeeper,also knew there was Top competition!!

The old Bentleys top firm buildings nearly surrounded Filbert street...Plus big company filiales around the city...nearly the BBone of Leicester supporters...Fans were shocked,but some expectant in the last 8-12 months something was on the books!!!

Opinions on the shop floor,deliveries,and offices, were split....and like today from those generations stayed split....!!!

But 98% of the fans even years after all wanted a Gordon Banks tribute.....

I say to Stoke city today....a big thank you and respect....!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

BBC have again managed to airbrush out 'Our' Gordon in the latest tribute montage before tonight's match at Wembley.

We got a very (very) brief acknowledgement of his time with us but no mention of our World Cup winners club.

The thing that grabbed my attention was the black and white footage of him in Town Hall Square on his home coming. I didn't know that it existed. Anyone seen it or know where it can be found ??