Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Players rated more highly by fans of other teams

9 hours ago, tickler28 said:

Sol Bamba......scores a goal for Cardiff and my dad says....'Why did we sell him?' forgetting conveniently all the bombscare moments.

According to my Dad we should get Slimani back because he scored the other night!!! ???

I somehow doubt he's the only person to do this.

• Haha 1

On 13/02/2019 at 00:14, Leeds Fox said:

Loads of people I know think Gray is a lot better than he is. Maddison too, clearly has potential and talent but vastly over rated by people. 

Noticed it more as I’ve watched the last few TV games in the pub. 

Unfortunately yes. His deliveries are no where near as good as what he thinks they are (just judging from the confidence that shows on his face and his insistence on taking free kicks all the time). They are usually too long, not long enough, behind the attacking line or missing the mark altogether. I don’t have a massive problem with him though, just that I

think when Albrington or Barnes are in the side, they should take more of the corners and free kicks.

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Unfortunately yes. His deliveries are no where near as good as what he thinks they are (just judging from the confidence that shows on his face and his insistence on taking free kicks all the time). They are usually too long, not long enough, behind the attacking line or missing the mark altogether. I don’t have a massive problem with him though, just that I

think when Albrington or Barnes are in the side, they should take more of the corners and free kicks.

I don’t have a problem with him either. I hope he fulfils his potential with us but the media hype and England cap seems to have clouded peoples minds who don’t see him weekly. He’s a good player no doubt but he’s not at the level some people see him at. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t have a problem with him either. I hope he fulfils his potential with us but the media hype and England cap seems to have clouded peoples minds who don’t see him weekly. He’s a good player no doubt but he’s not at the level some people see him at. 

Agree with you mate.

Echoing all the Gray comments in this thread. Such a frustrating player to watch. Seems to take momentum out of any move we build, by running down a blind alley, picking the wrong pass or misplacing his pass. 

The only thing I will say for Gray is that until Sterling turned it on last season, I had a very similar opinion of him. 

If you think back to Euro 2016 Sterling and how poor he was, it was the same mistakes he was making that Gray is now. 

Football is a strange game and I like to think the powers that be at LCFC know more about his potential and how to get it out than I do. Maybe he'll switch it on, too. 

Time's running out, though, and he's so poor at the moment. Consistently our worst player.

Edited by Nod.E

5 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Echoing all the Gray comments in this thread. Such a frustrating player to watch. Seems to take momentum out of any move we build, by running down a blind alley, picking the wrong pass or misplacing his pass.

Time's running out, though, and he's so poor at the moment. Consistently our worst player.

I don't know if he's consistently our worst player - that seems a little harsh - but he's a lot of movement without an end product (most of the time)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Marc Albrighton vs Demarai Gray infographic

As Gray has apparently been rubbish this year according to some, what about those stats?

Bearing in mind Marc is in his prime and Gray is far from the finished product

Neither are as effective as we need but Albrighton is better in general play. I'd wager that Albrighton has created far more chances than Gray. 

I was going to suggest looking at passing statistics, but they're likely to be misleading due to how often Albrighton tries crosses. Albrighton is so much better at retaining possession and picking the right pass to keep a move going. 

You can't measure everything with Statistics.

Marc Albrighton vs Demarai Gray infographic

As Gray has apparently been rubbish this year according to some, what about those stats?

Bearing in mind Marc is in his prime and Gray is far from the finished product

You’re talking about two completely different players though. 

We already know Albrighton isn’t going to get you loads of goals/assists. He is more likely to be protecting our fullbacks than banging one in from 30 yards so what is your point? Albrighton is more hard working and better in open play.

Whereas Gray wants to be the show pony, the one who scores all the goals.

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Neither are as effective as we need but Albrighton is better in general play. I'd wager that Albrighton has created far more chances than Gray. 

I was going to suggest looking at passing statistics, but they're likely to be misleading due to how often Albrighton tries crosses. Albrighton is so much better at retaining possession and picking the right pass to keep a move going. 

You can't measure everything with Statistics.

I think its an interesting comparison seeing as Gray gets slated for having 'no end product', whilst Albrighton does not.

I also think in general play Gray can offer more than Albrighton

Just now, foxes21 said:

You’re talking about two completely different players though. 

We already know Albrighton isn’t going to get you loads of goals/assists. He is more likely to be protecting our fullbacks than banging one in from 30 yards so what is your point? Albrighton is more hard working and better in open play.

Whereas Gray wants to be the show pony, the one who scores all the goals.

As I've just said, dont necessarily think Albrighton is better in open play and Gray's ceiling is definitely a lot higher, imo

Gray gets a lot of stick for being lazy, dumb, etc.. can stick 'wants to be a show pony' in that bag of unsubstantiated accusations

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

He's created the most chances from set plays in the league this season

As seems to be a collective choice on here, then for me definitely Demarai Gray also! The odd Birmingham fans I know here and there raved about him (and still do I think) and were sad to see him go - so maybe he could do worse than go back there, especially if in the unlikely event they go up by the play offs or something! Has always been a fringe player here really, very inconsistent and squanders lots of chances and/or plays the wrong ball at crucial times.  Might be one of those players who would only improve now by making a move to another club as we're certainly not seeing the best of him here. 

5 hours ago, Guy said:

As seems to be a collective choice on here, then for me definitely Demarai Gray also! The odd Birmingham fans I know here and there raved about him (and still do I think) and were sad to see him go - so maybe he could do worse than go back there, especially if in the unlikely event they go up by the play offs or something! Has always been a fringe player here really, very inconsistent and squanders lots of chances and/or plays the wrong ball at crucial times.  Might be one of those players who would only improve now by making a move to another club as we're certainly not seeing the best of him here. 

If Gray leaves us I dont think he could do worse than go back to Birmingham.  I would expect him to go to a team about on our level who want to start him every game at least, if not take a step up when he leaves us

I'm ever surprised at how people write this lad off

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

If Gray leaves us I dont think he could do worse than go back to Birmingham.  I would expect him to go to a team about on our level who want to start him every game at least, if not take a step up when he leaves us

I'm ever surprised at how people write this lad off

I was only being flippant really as regards the notion of him going back to Brum but if they did go up then he might be tempted if he's still not finding favour here for the remainder of this season into next. Maybe he needs to be played in better positions as other posters have said before we can pass fair judgement on him, putting him up front last week against Spurs was a definite 'no' but that was Puel's team selection ineptitude, not Gray's fault. 

2 hours ago, Guy said:

I was only being flippant really as regards the notion of him going back to Brum but if they did go up then he might be tempted if he's still not finding favour here for the remainder of this season into next. Maybe he needs to be played in better positions as other posters have said before we can pass fair judgement on him, putting him up front last week against Spurs was a definite 'no' but that was Puel's team selection ineptitude, not Gray's fault. 

I dont think Gray did too badly.  Got in the right position a couple of times and had a few chances, but I dont think he is best used as a striker

I do understand frustrations with him, mine mostly come from wanting him to run down the line a bit more instead of waiting for the ball to feet, but I think he'll come along

He hasnt quite been a bit part player this season though, just been in and out of the team a bit. Just hasnt nailed down a spot yet, thats true

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont think Gray did too badly.  Got in the right position a couple of times and had a few chances, but I dont think he is best used as a striker

I do understand frustrations with him, mine mostly come from wanting him to run down the line a bit more instead of waiting with the ball to feet, but I think he'll come along

He hasnt quite been a bit part player this season though, just been in and out of the team a bit. Just hasnt nailed down a spot yet, thats true

Yes, a frustrating player for the reasons you mentioned for sure, I'm not saying sell him but as this topic was about 'overrated' players by other clubs' fans as such then the mentioning of Gray was relevant ! He wasn't in an enviable situation at Spurs of course re Vardy being dropped : as he is no striker. 

• Like 1

Evertonians I know all drool over Gray. They were linked with a move for him a while ago. Also set up that fabulous Vardy goal against them last season.

Maddison gets a lot of praise too, prob driven by media hype rather than actually watching him.