Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Europa League Qualification. Worth it or not?

I would love us to get into the EL. It would be progression and surely as fans, that is what we can hope for each season.

My worry, if we got in, how many of our players would actually be available to play in the first rounds and be fit. As we have a u21 euro tournament which will take a few of our players including benkovic, nations league finals, African cup of nations tournament and international friendlies until 11th June so would only have 4 weeks to stop playing, go on holiday and be back and start training before 11th july. I don't believe that would leave us with many left to play the qualifiers if we made 7th 

Edited by North Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Something I admired Spurs for was that the slogan "The Game Is About Glory" could be seen plastered around WHL.

We absolutely should be targeting European qualification. Mid-table finishes on their own aren't glorious, playing in Europe can be.

Spuds should change that slogan to 'The game is about winning fvck all'... 

• Like 1

I don't know what is more ridiculous, these guys conviction that 'we're still in the race for seventh' or the fact that someone actually gets paid to write pointless articles like this.

In the next one  they should take this level of absurd a step further and debate the point of playing football because it makes you so stressed out every week. And all these cup conundrums! Let's get rid of all the cup competitions, that will solve the problem!   

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Spuds should change that slogan to 'The game is about winning fvck all'... 

You forget they were top of the P/L for 16 minutes in 2016, and also in this years league cup final but for 60 minutes! Massive achievements for them after such a long time winning sweet FA!:D

Last year I would have said no, because of the world cup and losing so many of our players to that, plus trying to bring in and bed new signings from Puel's first summer transfer window.

But, and it is a huge but, we did make it to 7th this season I'd certainly say it's worth it. I can't see any negatives. It raises the profile of the club, brings in more revenue, will help to keep our best players, and give our players valuable experience of European football. 

I can't see us getting 7th however, and knowing our luck this season, if we did manage 7th, Wolves, Palace or Brighton would win the FA cup!

What a stupid question. As a club we should want to push for Europe and the highest league position possible. Sadly Puel disagrees with us and we should finish below Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

It won't happen anyway, relegation is more likely at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

What a stupid question. As a club we should want to push for Europe and the highest league position possible. Sadly Puel disagrees with us and we should finish below Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

It's not puels fault that the teams above us are better than us.

Would be nice if we actually qualified for the competition for once.

Last season - slipped away in the table towards the end

This season - Groundhog Day (so far)

Next season - repeat of the previous two seasons?

Well, we are capable of finishing 7th, unfortunately, we're too often our own worst enemy, shooting ourselves in the foot in the process, in particular hindering our chances of winning games by giving early goals away.

The Europa League is something we should strive for. Don't you love it when your club can play abroad and you're able to follow them to new places? The Champions League campaign was something special, it was a wonderful experience. It made so many people fall in love with the club (again) and produced smiles all around.

Go for it and at some stage, don't fvck it up (again).

Edited by MC Prussian

There is no discussion really....whether we are playing for £10mil.  or 2/6pence. Your/any  teams dutyand aims surely is to finish the highest possible!!!

That said there seems a lot of entitled fans on this forum who believe it's our right...!!!

We are no nearer at the moment,in making a consistent  Challenge and to compete for a European spot,than we have been in our last 136yrs+ history..

The club through the team have to first earn it.  !!!  Just because we fancy our chances,doesn't mean we have the right to demand

we have the right and should be a part of our vocabulary ...to be automatically  in cup-finals/top 6..

Then go off in tantrums,like some spoilt little brat,when the seasons achievement falls short..!!

I expect a certain level of performances,and a team trying to build itself up to achieve that degree of high level of performance...

this season we are not showing any consistency,but we are a club and a team in transition....

I don’t think the  answer is as clear cut as most of you are saying.

Do I want to watch Leicester play in Europe? - Yes

Will we ever get back into the champions league? - Highly unlikely

Therefore we have to play Europa league but we are in the middle of the biggest restructuring of our squad since Pearson first arrived. It’s very easy to look at Man Utd and say they won the europa, made millions and got back into the champions league but they’d spent nearly £500m since Fergie had retired and had a squad big enough and quality enough to compete. We could very easily do what Burnley, Southampton or Ipswich did in Europa/UEFA and really struggle with a small squad and too many games/too long season and end up in a relegation battle. I think this summer is going to be huge for us going forward and I think we could do with another year before we try for Europe again.

6 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Sadly Puel disagrees with us and we should finish below Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

Is there any point in correcting this and pointing out that he said we couldn't compete financially (not on the pitch) with West Ham while they get the taxpayer to foot the bill for their ground, or with Wolves while they've got this dodgy setup with that agent? Or are people ignoring him being absolutely right on this occasion and calling out some of the problems with modern football because they don't like the guy?