Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes04

Vardy loses thousands in dodgy car deal - The Sun

18 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's all relative.  A quarter of the average persons weekly salary is what, £200?  

As annoying as it would be to lose £200, it's hardly a huge amount of cash.

Would you pay £200 to a middleman to secure a car?  No, no you wouldn't.  You'd just walk down to the garage and buy the car yourself.

I think the average man earns maybe £300-500 a week, the reported averages are inflated by a few earning silly money, plus even the reported averages are not £800 a week.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Before tax?

Unlikely

14 hours ago, danny. said:

The average UK wage isn’t over £41k, its closer to £27k, and if you took out the outliers I’d be willing to guess your average person earns more like £400/week

Average in 2017 is £550 per week.

Minimum wage would put you on £328 per week (40 hours)

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I think the average man earns maybe £300-500 a week, the reported averages are inflated by a few earning silly money, plus even the reported averages are not £800 a week.

Agree,, majority of the real world "man/woman in the street" are between 16-25k pa. 

I'd sure like the 41k " average". 

Guest seanfox778
17 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

I'm not being funny, but if you buy anything from someone that looks and dresses like this, you're on your own...

17494518_1864323493824019_1903776711019855872_a.jpg

I'm guessing the Vardy's didn't watch Black Panther, the guy showcased his shady side to millions. 

On 18/02/2019 at 08:47, Babylon said:

Why on earth do so many footballers seem to use dodgy middlemen (who usually look like estate agents) to buy their cars.

Because they don't live in the real world!

A few years ago now, but I was auditing a football agency & they had a room of people dedicated to just helping out their younger clients with day to day living - bills, cleaning etc. Actually, a lot of these footballers are young kids that are thrust into the world far younger than they would be in other professions, and they do genuinely need this help. And it probably just becomes habit that they rely on other people to do things for them. (Admittedly, Vardy does not fall into the category!)

And to save the hassle. At my last place, we had an issue with a car we were buying which got escalated up to me to sign off. It was a complicated case with a chap who was young to be selling an expensive car and who had a German passport, and at face value was all very dodgy. But the was instantly recognisable as a Leicester City player with an interesting back story, so it all made sense. But apparently this was unusual as most the footballers drove cars owned by companies so would never have come my way - it was just for various reasons he'd bought this one himself & was then selling it - and this just caused all sorts of headaches for him, so I can see why they would just concentrate on their football and leave this stuff to others.

But yeah, in a case like this, Vardy should know better & difficult to have any sympathy with him...

17 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The average is so misleading. Each millionaire in the country is contra'd by thirty people on sub 20k. Thus is the danger of an average. 

Only if you're looking at the mean - that can be skewed in either direction by the extremes. Median is far better for this sort of discussion, and the median salary is £28,600 gross (£550 per week - https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2017provisionaland2016revisedresults#main-points)

34 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Only if you're looking at the mean - that can be skewed in either direction by the extremes. Median is far better for this sort of discussion, and the median salary is £28,600 gross (£550 per week - https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2017provisionaland2016revisedresults#main-points)

Nice one. I'm no mathematics scholar so lacked the knowledge to explain that. 

Cheers. 

On 20/02/2019 at 16:46, The Doctor said:

lol the difference between mean, median and mode is taught in primary school.

Think it was a bit later than 'primary school' but at my approved school the approximation was;

Mode - Median = 2 x Median - Mean

and yes, I cannot form meaningful relationships :(

On 18/02/2019 at 08:03, DrezZone said:

TBH, if I was making that much money and lost 40k, I wouldn't be fuming. I'd take it as a blessing in disguise. Who knows? Maybe that car could've seriously injured or even killed him in the future.

Sure, 40k might seem a lot for us, but when you're making about 120k a week, you shouldn't really feel like complaining because you can obviously go buy the car with less than 2 weeks of wages.

Plus, I'm sure he spent much more than that on crap he doesn't need or doesn't even know he has.

you think this would stop him from getting a fast car?