Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

On 02/08/2019 at 14:41, Dahnsouff said:

Got a feeling its going to be carnage on Deadline Day this year

It's not actually been the liveliest window so far, can only see this coming week being nuts. Half the league will want two/three more and there's a few like us who need to shift deadwood.

In theory I like the idea of Cahill as cover on a free - I'd rate him ahead of Wes at this stage.  Problem is he's on 75K a week and that's a lot for a guy you're hoping doesn't end up a starter.

I still think Cahill has something to offer. Yes he is slow but look how Evans was our best CB last year by just using his experience and reading of the game. 

I also think this is a signing which means that Soyuncu isn't immediately sidelined again and has a genuine chance of starting a number of games for us and developing into our starting CB for years to come. He just needs time and with a player like Cahill coming in, I think we lower the risk of putting full faith in Soyuncu but also don't inhibit his development into hopefully a top CB with us. 

I think it would be a smart deal for us for 1 season and then perhaps we will have to spend big on a CB next summer or maybe Benkovic being a year on and settled here, is capable of stepping up too. 

Exciting times either way you look at things, as we have money to spend but also young players who are capable of making the step up too.

• Like 1

Not convinced Cahill is as good a solution as the OP makes out.

My gut say's that he wouldn't make a good playing partner alongside Evans.

And if we did sign him, you could go into next summer having to replace 3 centre halves (Cahill, Morgan, Evans)

Evans may have a couple of seasons in him, but the idea plan is to use that to bed in a new dominant centre-half alongside him, not adding an ageing sticking plaster. 

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Way too immobile. I know we’ve had some very decent slow defenders in recent time in Maguire, Morgan and Huth but McKenna is just a lump. He’s probably an average Championship defender at best. @henrik_62 probably knows a thing or too, can tell me if I’m being a bit harsh:dunno:

I hope we don't go for him, maybe Celtic go in for him and we get Ajer?