Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

Just now, SecretPro said:

True - but then other teams have sorted out their own inadequacies during this window, so we may be on the back foot again.

We say that about Everton and West Ham every year and whatever they spend they never seem to sort it out! 

I imagine Praet will go through, and I would still like another experienced PL CB into the team, and then I will be happy. I think I am more confident than most though that Harvey Barnes will have a productive season for us... 

24 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I think Top 6 is some way off. Especially given the business others around us have done in the last few days and still are doing. It's all a bit 'meh' for us again I'm afraid. I'd say we have strengthened slightly, even with the loss of Maguire, but nowhere near to the levels we need to to finish top 6.

I do wonder if we've just failed to get the deals done or if as per usual we are just cutting our cloth accordingly. I've no problem with the latter but many others believe this isn't to be the case any longer and we are going for it. It's been a slog of a window for so many clubs, I can forgive us if we have struggled to get deals done but there's been enough targets go to other clubs in Europe for very reasonable fees so it is frustrating. Everton are a machine when it comes to the last week of the window, they will get 2-3 more in I imagine. We currently are better equipped than Wolves IMO and West Ham are still a bit of an unknown but up against Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea I don't think we have done enough to bridge the gap and that's where fans hopes are consequently going to be dashed. Many have jumped on the bandwagon that we are all set to go for it this season, but if we do it it won't be from being wavy in the transfer market.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Today is effectively the last day of the window for us to get overseas targets, as they'd need to be arriving at the very latest by mid morning tomorrow to get the deal done. Even domestic transfers are going to be an absolute bloodbath to get done if only being agreed tomorrow. It's been a painful window for the majority of clubs, I don't think we've purposely waited until Maguire went before we could look at bringing in other players but the i9nsistence we were going big this summer seems a little wide of the mark. I was hoping i'd be wrong on this but it doesn't appear to be the case. This upcoming season is an incredible opportunity to break in to the top 6 that only comes around once every 4-5 years and we seem to be placing much faith in what we already have.

I'm cautiously a little more optomistic. Of course, we don't know who they've tried hard to get and who either won't sell or won't come for whatever reason. We're hardly every players dream club and we're naturally biased. 

If Rodgers isn't confident in our two up and coming centre halves then there's still a bit of time left and Burnley looking at one themsrlves is perhaps a sign. Praet looks as if he's about there but of all the positions, I can't say hand on heart that we're desperate for a winger and think we really can cope.

Tielemans was key for me and if Praet is equally adept at opening defences up then, with Rodgers approach and variable tactics,  I think we can breach some of those lower teams stubborn defences at last which has been a problem for a few seasons now. Vardy, Perez, Tielemans , Maddison , Barnes, Albrighton and Praet if he comes, all have something to offer offensively and look quite formidable on paper to me compared to many other squads. 

Rodgers has had a decent preseason with them and they appear confident and ready to go. Sometimes it's about that belief and confidence that the manager instills together with a team bond that can conquer a team full of names. But we know that don't we.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'm cautiously a little more optomistic. Of course, we don't know who they've tried hard to get and who either won't sell or won't come for whatever reason. We're hardly every players dream club and we're naturally biased. 

If Rodgers isn't confident in our two up and coming centre halves then there's still a bit of time left and Burnley looking at one themsrlves is perhaps a sign. Praet looks as if he's about there but of all the positions, I can't say hand on heart that we're desperate for a winger and think we really can cope.

Tielemans was key for me and if Praet is equally adept at opening defences up then, with Rodgers approach and variable tactics,  I think we can breach some of those lower teams stubborn defences at last which has been a problem for a few seasons now. Vardy, Perez, Tielemans , Maddison , Barnes, Albrighton and Praet if he comes, all have something to offer offensively and look quite formidable on paper to me compared to many other squads. 

Rodgers has had a decent preseason with them and they appear confident and ready to go. Sometimes it's about that belief and confidence that the manager instills together with a team bond that can conquer a team full of names. But we know that don't we.

That's pretty much where i'm at with it, but I do think fans will be disappointed as they've been repeatedly told that we would be bringing 4-5 new players in before any outgoings and spending big. We've also got a world record fee for Maguire and the possibilities this opens up to improve the rest of the XI is a great chance. I'm fairly content with the squad and still pinching myself that Tielemans is here but then again I don't expect us to properly challenge top 6 next season. For us to do that we needed 3-4 significant improvements on our starting XI and would have mirrored the news that we were going hell for leather which so far hasn't happened.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Just looking at a lot of our first team and I would swap half of them for very few players in this league.

Vardy

Maddison Tielemans

Chilwell Evans Ricardo

So you swap Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans, Chilwell, Evans AND Ricardo for say Scott Dann, Mangala and maybe Ashley Barnes?? Or did you mean a different few?

What is this madness! :jawdrop:

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So you swap Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans, Chilwell, Evans AND Ricardo for say Scott Dann, Mangala and maybe Ashley Barnes?? Or did you mean a different few?

What is this madness! :jawdrop:

The six I mentioned I said there are very few PL players who are superior to those six. 

Just now, Gerard said:

The six I mentioned I said there are very few PL players who are superior to those six. 

I know ;)

Was just being a dick, but chance are you realised that :thumbup:

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

EBUOH03XkAAJysp?format=jpg&name=small

Excellent Signing.

Skills of that Algerian fella on the wings, and a head the size of Harry for defence.

Rudders has played a blinder :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That's pretty much where i'm at with it, but I do think fans will be disappointed as they've been repeatedly told that we would be bringing 4-5 new players in before any outgoings and spending big. We've also got a world record fee for Maguire and the possibilities this opens up to improve the rest of the XI is a great chance. I'm fairly content with the squad and still pinching myself that Tielemans is here but then again I don't expect us to properly challenge top 6 next season. For us to do that we needed 3-4 significant improvements on our starting XI and would have mirrored the news that we were going hell for leather which so far hasn't happened.

I think the club have the best intentions and probably did intend to bring that many in however, saying and actually being able to do it are two very different things completely for a variety of reasons sometimes beyond their control.

Perez was a shock buy, Tielemans possibly one of the Premiership buys of the summer and Justin a solid investment. If we get Praet, who I know very little about, you would have to say that it's been quite decent. Personally I always thought that Rodgers, given time would need this and next summer to really start to challenge. It will take time for these to settle in but I think some of our younger players will really improve this year fighting both for their team place and potential national call ups. Too many new faces too soon could also potentially send the wrong message and reduce that feeling that if you're young and improving you'll be given a chance at Leicester. Any foreign player is also a risk as we know. We're getting there, the future is bright but also needs to be sustainable. Wolves is going to be a very testing opener!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

50 plus gray? Surely he would fit the mould of player they would be chasing. 

No way do they accept that; they want £80million.

If we were serious I'd chuck £75/80m at them, but he isn't worth that 

Surprised how quiet it all is, especially on the CB front with Rodgers himself saying they had a load of options lined up if HM did go. Also surprised we aren't in for another winger or striker, especially now we have an extra £80m potentially available. 

I still think we are 2 top players away from really pushing the top 6 and being a level above Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

Hopefully, things will all happen quickly today and tomorrow and we will get 2 more exciting players in on top of Praet

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Surprised how quiet it all is, especially on the CB front with Rodgers himself saying they had a load of options lined up if HM did go. Also surprised we aren't in for another winger or striker, especially now we have an extra £80m potentially available. 

I still think we are 2 top players away from really pushing the top 6 and being a level above Everton, West Ham and Wolves. 

Hopefully, things will all happen quickly today and tomorrow and we will get 2 more exciting players in on top of Praet

Hoping deals are going through like the Perez one  not a sniff of anything then out of nowhere they are joining

• Like 1

On 05/08/2019 at 14:10, pmcla26 said:

Way too immobile. I know we’ve had some very decent slow defenders in recent time in Maguire, Morgan and Huth but McKenna is just a lump. He’s probably an average Championship defender at best. @henrik_62 probably knows a thing or too, can tell me if I’m being a bit harsh:dunno:

Your not being harsh at all mate, your summary is spot on 👍

Some (a lot) of things are leaked out to Sky about targets, some are guesswork, logical guesswork based on what clubs need but I wonder if much goes on that isn't reported. I'd love to know if Top / Whelan / Rodgers have had a chat about Zaha for example ie "If we could get him, would you want him". Do you think our stuff is leaked at an average, high or low degree in relation to other clubs? Right now on balance we "appear" to be doing less than we'd hope to but this doesn't mean this is the case.

I always point to the "Of the players going elsewhere who should we have realistically gone for ourselves" argument. I'm struggling to think of any really in the positions we need.

I get the feeling that a non top six club getting all the business done they'd like in time in this current climate of clubs not needing to sell is more unlikely than likely, with the chain reactions involved there's going to be some frustration out there tomorrow when it closes and some clubs just run out of time. Just hope we're not one of them, going that half season without Drinkwater or his replacement was an inexcusable f*** up that impacted on our chances.

4 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Do you think our stuff is leaked at an average, high or low degree in relation to other clubs? Right now on balance we "appear" to be doing less than we'd hope to but this doesn't mean this is the case.

From the fact we hear little to no transfer gossip of incoming players, I'd say we do rather well

I think it will feel like a storm that @LinekersApples was referring to. I can feel that today will be manic; with players being linked with us, we've made a bid for this guy and that, will a transfer get over the line in time...etc. Not all will be true, and maybe some will fall through, but ones things for sure I very much doubt many of us will get any work done today and F5 (refresh webpage) will be an overused button today.

Enjoy the ride and let's see what will happen. Good luck people

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I think it will feel like a storm that @LinekersApples was referring to. I can feel that today will be manic; with players being linked with us, we've made a bid for this guy and that, will a transfer get over the line in time...etc. Not all will be true, and maybe some will fall through, but ones things for sure I very much doubt many of us will get any work done today and F5 (refresh webpage) will be an overused button today.

Enjoy the ride and let's see what will happen. Good luck people

693596DA-9251-4837-B138-B781B82191A8.jpeg