Jump to content
foxfanazer

Where does Vardy rank?

Recommended Posts

This thread made me start looking for Vardy videos. It's not just Vardy but this man was integral in this and it just gives me the chills, the music, the voice over, the goals... Thank you Vards.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sampson said:

Steve Walsh is not in the same league as Vardy tbh. Don't kid yourself through childhood nostalgia.

 

Vardy does everything you mention of Walsh but to a far greater degree and at a much higher level.

 

Walsh may have been at the club longer but he was a really poor player for years until Little took over (and that was just as a Second Division player as he really struggled in his first season in the top flight under Little) and was very much a bit-part player under O'Neill after 98 and he only had 1 really good season in the top flight (and maybe 1 or 2 more pretty good ones). Vardy has had more good seasons for us than Walsh despite being at the club less time and Walsh's peak (96-97, arguably going into 97-98) isn't even in the same ballpark as Vardy's last 4 seasons.

 

Completely agree with this.Walsh was utter Jank in his first four years at the club.He was also a key part in Leicester’s worst ever side of 90/91.Ok he improved considerably later on but Vardy is in a different solar system.Vardy no1 for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

This thread made me start looking for Vardy videos. It's not just Vardy but this man was integral in this and it just gives me the chills, the music, the voice over, the goals... Thank you Vards.

 

 

And it WAS!!     magic....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

He’s the best player in the history of Leicester bar none. He won the premier league for Christ sake being a crucial part.

 

Not only this he has the 11 games in a row record.

He also has an unbelievable record vs the top 6. This is under rated imo, proven by Lakaku’s 1/18 vs top 6 record.

He also has scored(since his debut) 74 premier league goals - only Kane, Aguero and Lakaku have scored more!(this also includes 2014/2015 season) I can imagine since 15/16 he would be even higher.

 

He has scored at least 1 home and away goal vs all of the top 6 which is incredible to be honest.

Arsenal 3 home 3 away

Man Utd 3 home 1 away

Chelsea 2 home 1 away

Man City 3 home 1 away

Spurs 1 home 4 away

Liverpool 5 home 1 away

 

All this is achieved around a good but not top level group of players. Aguero Kane and Lakaku are playing in some of the best teams in the world. And other than maybe Lakaku, 2 of the best ever in the premier league era!

So this just shows the level of our number 9. On top of this you will see that JV scores a lot of 1 goals in games, so unlike others who hit 3/4 often he doesn’t get as many chances or his team doesn’t dominate as many games so he won’t get as many of those pointless icing on the cake goals that others get. Winners at Chelsea, Everton as well as crucial winners vs Fulham and Brighton too get us effectively over the line to safety this season sums him up.

 

If he reaches 100 premier league goals, it will just top off an incredible career for JV. A premier league legend, 1 of the best finishers, and a title and season that will be talked about for years.

He will go down as a premier league legend, let alone a LCFC legend.

 

Legend gets thrown around too easily these days but No doubt in my mind JV is a legend. Get to 100 Jamie and crown off an unbelievable career.

To think he only made his prem debut at 27 and only at 28 going on 29 did he establish himself makes you wonder how good he could of been had he been given the chance earlier.

#JVLEGEND

Why say history when you didnt see Arthur Rowley Chandler  and probablly  none from the 60s  almost certainly the last 30 years but history is another matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

 

So did the defenders they played against. 

 

The standard now is a stratosphere away from what it was in the 20's-50's If you actually sit down and watch a game from even the late sixties it is like watching conference football at times. The PL is no longer the best league in England it's the best league in the world and I have to say what Vardy has achieved far out ways what either of those men accomplished in stature even if it does not by total amount of goals.  

 

Although I would struggle to call him out "best ever player" in football terms he is very limited in certain departments. He is just very good at what he does. Best ever striker is probably a fairer assessment.  

Best in my 50 something years and no way is he 'very limited" in any department.He is fast skillful positionally aware.He can score is two footed good on the air.He can defend and is an hard little f....r .His passing is good and he never wastes the ball.

  His only limitation is his lack of tolerance for managers who are out their depth!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

 

So did the defenders they played against. 

 

The standard now is a stratosphere away from what it was in the 20's-50's If you actually sit down and watch a game from even the late sixties it is like watching conference football at times. The PL is no longer the best league in England it's the best league in the world and I have to say what Vardy has achieved far out ways what either of those men accomplished in stature even if it does not by total amount of goals.  

 

Although I would struggle to call him out "best ever player" in football terms he is very limited in certain departments. He is just very good at what he does. Best ever striker is probably a fairer assessment.  

I would like to know his limitations...!!??  Even now still an underrated player..comfortable anywhere along the frontline,takes anyone on,and beats them,

and not just on pace...has one of the best passing games in the team...If His partners,had converted his passes,his assist would be high..not His fault,

his partners scored 1 in 15...he has set up some real sitters...!!  The last 6 months not at his best...and that wasn't Puel s fault,because Jamie had some

top chances...Seems the crispness is coming back...(well we use to play at Walkers)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I would like to know his limitations...!!??  Even now still an underrated player..comfortable anywhere along the frontline,takes anyone on,and beats them,

and not just on pace...has one of the best passing games in the team...If His partners,had converted his passes,his assist would be high..not His fault,

his partners scored 1 in 15...he has set up some real sitters...!!  The last 6 months not at his best...and that wasn't Puel s fault,because Jamie had some

top chances...Seems the crispness is coming back...(well we use to play at Walkers)

I like that he isnt rated highly enough by the media.

 

As much as they all loved the fairytale, there was a limit to the hype. He isny a fashionable player whilst he stays at us. You only have to look at them not starting him (or any leicester player) at the start of the euros after we won the premier league. Instead going for players who'd played hardly any games, but it they played Liverpool and Manchester United so it was okay (even though neither had good seasons).

 

Southgate has now started to pick players from outside the top 6 but hes even moaned about that on a few occasions, saying he's been "forced" to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a lad 0f 20 when Lineker was the best thing ever in the first half of the 80's 

I now think Vardy has eclipsed him .... but since discovered Lineker is a cokc these days as a bloke

Maybe Jamie is as well ... but I haven't met him yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 16:53, foxfanazer said:

I'm 29 so I'm old enough to remember the O'Neill era and until the last 5 years or so they were regarded as the glory days amongst Leicester fans of my age. The likes of Izzet and Walsh were always heroes for me and nobody came close to them until our recent success.

 

For me Vardy is our best ever player. The importance of his goals and his overall contribution to this club is incomparable imo. Some will say Mahrez is the best ever but I feel Vardy has been more important to us. Also his whole back story is inspiring. Coming from a working class background with his fair share of hardships and mistakes make him very relatable to the average football fan

 

Where does he rank amongst the older fans? I know of the players in our history like Frank Worthington and Arthur Chandler and Rowley but obviously have never seen them.

The team in the seventies were full of great players Shilton, Worthington and many more, but probably the best was Keith Weller in the team. 

Then you put one of the best Goalkeepers in the world in the mix Gordon Banks, Gary linker was out standing in the eighties who went on to play for ( The local pub team!!!) BARCELONA . We have always had a sprinkling of talent at any one time. I honestly believe Vardy and Mahrez are up there with the best. 

My first game was at Filbert Street in the 72/73 season so I have seen the roller-coaster ride that Leicester City are, still got some of me hair left. Just not very much now days. 

Edited by Gambodownunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Babylon said:

This thread made me start looking for Vardy videos. It's not just Vardy but this man was integral in this and it just gives me the chills, the music, the voice over, the goals... Thank you Vards.

 

 

I'm only now starting to understand what on earth we did that year, would do anything to go back and really appreciate and soak up every moment. I felt numb for the whole latter part of the season, it was bonkers hahaha.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Frank ever decide to not celebrate with the rest of the team to jump over the advertising hoardings to wind the Spurs fans up, pointing at his gold Premier League winners badge on his sleeve? Didn’t think so. #Legend

 

 

B8DA6D50-E8F5-43E1-80BD-A51C30519973.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Completely agree with this.Walsh was utter Jank in his first four years at the club.He was also a key part in Leicester’s worst ever side of 90/91.Ok he improved considerably later on but Vardy is in a different solar system.Vardy no1 for me.

 Leicesters worse side ever,  has to be the one that got us relegated to the old third division surely ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Would Frank ever decide to not celebrate with the rest of the team to jump over the advertising hoardings to wind the Spurs fans up, pointing at his gold Premier League winners badge on his sleeve? Didn’t think so. #Legend

 

 

B8DA6D50-E8F5-43E1-80BD-A51C30519973.jpeg

No ..but he might of gone into the players night club in London,donning "champions " on his Elvis Presley outfit.....:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

 Leicesters worse side ever,  has to be the one that got us relegated to the old third division surely ?

Only 2 teams went down that season as they were rejigging the leagues.I might be wrong but when we did go down we had gained enough points to keep us up in usual circumstances.We also had a decent goals against tally aswell.

 

I know Tony James gets the credit for scoring that goal v Oxford but we owed Bristol Rovers just as much.They stopped WBA getting the win they needed when they had nothing to play for.Always grateful to them for that 😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Best in my 50 something years and no way is he 'very limited" in any department.He is fast skillful positionally aware.He can score is two footed good on the air.He can defend and is an hard little f....r .His passing is good and he never wastes the ball.

  His only limitation is his lack of tolerance for managers who are out their depth!

 

He’s fast can score with both feet is half decent in the air when it comes to heading towards goals and yes knows when to make a run. And when the team plays in a manner that gets the best out of that he looks fantastic and scores goals. 

 

However, he’s not a particularly great link up player is toothless with his back to goal and is not particularly great at winning 50/50 Ariel battles. Skillfull is a strange one as well, certainly has the pace to beat a man but rarely uses any kind of skill beyond basic dribbling technique and his pace. “Never” wastes the ball is also a completely false claim. 

 

Theres a reason why “getting the best out of Vardy” is always a massive talking point with pundits etc we have to play a certain way to get the best out of him because we have to play to his skill set and our opponents often try and stop us doing that. And as you’ve pointed out yourself why he did not get on with Claude, as he was often left isolated in positions he did not want to be in due to the way he played:

 

Like I say best striker maybe, best player ever not for me, would have to be Maherz.   Everyone has an opinion though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...