Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Amazing how this forum has turned on Maguire.

He's our best central defender by an absolute mile. 

Not been showing it. I don't think it's people turning on him either, just saying £65m is a cracking deal for a player of his ability

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Not been showing it. I don't think it's people turning on him either, just saying £65m is a cracking deal for a player of his ability

I would say it's just above par these days.

We all completely turned our noses up at 55m last summer. Don't see how that extra 10m is a deal breaker.

It's not like we'll ever be short of income. We have so many players with high value in our squad.

Ricardo, Chilwel, Maguire, Ndidi and Maddison are all 50m+ easily.

Point is if we ever need to sell then we can, easily. But lets get to that point before we start accepting offers. We are in a position where we have these players tied up to massive contracts and they'll all only get better for us. There's no rush at all. We're not (or at least we shouldn't be) a selling club.

7 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

I would keep him, just because we don’t want to turn into a selling club like Southampton.

Selling Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez & then Maguire in the space of a few seasons is not a good look. 

tbf...

Kante we had no choice

Drinky was good business

Mahrez was no choice

Maguire @65 would be good business

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

I would keep him, just because we don’t want to turn into a selling club like Southampton.

Selling Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez & then Maguire in the space of a few seasons is not a good look. 

Everyone bar the super clubs are selling clubs. If we get a big bid he should go, it wouldn't be a massive loss as we have Benkovic and Soynucu coming through, another year of Wes, Evans looking good. 

1 minute ago, Poznan34 said:

Everyone bar the super clubs are selling clubs. If we get a big bid he should go, it wouldn't be a massive loss as we have Benkovic and Soynucu coming through, another year of Wes, Evans looking good. 

Every club in the world is a selling club. Every team sells players.

The big clubs sell players when they can improve with the money they get/have better options in the club.

I don't see how we can improve our defence by selling Maguire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Nothing really like Southampton. They would have sold all in one window not four summers. 

• Like 2

I'd like us to keep any active British Internationals in theory but he's not worth anywhere near 65m and if they're offering that it's great business to sell. Especially if it gets us Tielmans. 

Of all our star assets, he's the easiest to replace imo. 

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't see how they've shown quality even near Maguire's level.

It is a nuanced issue.  In an ideal world I would love to keep him and I agree with you that he is our best defender.  We do however need to think about the bigger picture.  Is Maguire better than Evans/Wes, etc?  Yes, I think so.  But is our entire current team better than a potential future team minus Maguire but plus £65m investment?  If spent wisely then possibly not.  One must also consider the player, I imagine given the chance he would rather play for Utd than us.  I don't like saying that and it doesn't mean i am not ambition it is just an objective truth that most players want to play for the biggest teams.  Some people will come on here and say "he is rubbish, get rid".  They are, of course, foolish.  But people suggesting that maybe for the long term future of the team/club that selling him might be worthwhile have a very valid point (Bale at Spurs is a classic example).  I understand your point and fully agree with you regarding him being our best defender and, as I have said a few times, I would love to keep him but I do see the possible benefits of selling also.  As always it is a nuanced debate with no "right" answer.

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't see how they've shown quality even near Maguire's level.

They probably haven't but I'd be surprised if we couldn't sign a finished product centre half for £10m - £15m that'd pretty much do as well as Maguire. 

He's not been exceptional at all this season. 

Like, he's a solid top flight footballer don't get me wrong but 65m is ridiculous money when you think like Acerbi went for 9, Betis got Bartra for 10, Murillo went for 10, Hoedt 14, Kjaer 11, Vida went for free, Boly 10. 

I mean that's the kind of bracket Maguire is in, surely? He's a bit younger, English and one of the richest clubs in the world want him. That's chucked loads on his value, it's definitely a sell for me. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

They probably haven't but I'd be surprised if we couldn't sign a finished product centre half for £10m - £15m that'd pretty much do as well as Maguire. 

He's not been exceptional at all this season. 

Like, he's a solid top flight footballer don't get me wrong but 65m is ridiculous money when you think like Acerbi went for 9, Betis got Bartra for 10, Murillo went for 10, Hoedt 14, Kjaer 11, Vida went for free, Boly 10. 

I mean that's the kind of bracket Maguire is in, surely? He's a bit younger, English and one of the richest clubs in the world want him. That's chucked loads on his value, it's definitely a sell for me. 

Maguire has proven to be better than those players. We also signed him in that bracket of pay.

All of those players have reasons for being that cheap. None are near Maguire.

Acerbi - 30 years old.

Bartra - Wanted out of Dortmund after the bombing and wanted to go home.

Murillo - In Valencia's reserves. Barcelona needed quick fix to injury crisis.

Hoedt - Just nowhere near Maguire's level. Sat in Celta Vigo's reserves and gets injured for fun.

Kjaer - Signed from Fererbache. Sevilla's reserves now.

Vida - Out of contract and 29 Y/O. 

Boly - Porto's reserves. signed because of Wolves' links with Porto.

Yeah but it doesn't matter why those players were those prices, just that they were. They're examples of the fact you can go and get a perfectly decent centre half without breaking the bank. 

I'd be perfectly happy if we signed some 29/30 year old for ten mil that'll do for a couple of seasons while we reinvest the money in midfielders, forwards, wingers, etc who are typically more expensive. 

• Like 2

Would snap their hands off for £35m, let alone £65m. He is a good lad and obviously has a lot of ability but he has limitations and we have a number of promising defenders already here to fill the gap. If this pays for Tielemans then it's the greatest deal in the history of football.

We can rinse them for abit more than that, they have the interest & the money - £75m minimum.

Unless we switch to three at the back as our main system we're not getting the best out of him. He's really cracked on here and proved himself for England, and having him is important to the club. Would like to think he still has it in him to improve his awareness and positioning at his age - he could still maybe develop into an even better player for us but really if we have to sell one of our younger assets I'd rather lose him than Chilly, Maddison or Ndidi.

We shouldn't need to sell though. Man U are minted.