Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Or it probably is.... nobody knows.

What we do know is that some people seem keen to sell one of our best players. I certainly don’t like doing that. 

Edited by Viva
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viva said:

Irrelevant to my point. 

I don't think it is TBH, Maguire wasn't solely responsible for those clean sheets, no more than Morgan was for against Chelsea and a win against Man City. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I don't think it is TBH, Maguire wasn't solely responsible for those clean sheets, no more than Morgan was for against Chelsea and a win against Man City. 

The whole defence was responsible. That’s why I wouldn’t want to split them up. My point was that under Rodgers we are playing great and not conceding many. Arsenal in October was a very different time. 

1 minute ago, Viva said:

The whole defence was responsible. That’s why I wouldn’t want to split them up. My point was that under Rodgers we are playing great and not conceding many. Arsenal in October was a very different time. 

Well I don't think we are playing great, in fact we played far better against Man City and Chelsea under Puel IMO. The football against the poorer teams is more positive, but in terms of points... we got one more point under Puel against the teams Rodgers played after he joined. I'm more than happy with Rodgers, but I don't find Maguire central to our success personally. If the offer is huge and it means we get to strengthen other areas then you have to listen to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well I don't think we are playing great, in fact we played far better against Man City and Chelsea under Puel IMO. The football against the poorer teams is more positive, but in terms of points... we got one more point under Puel against the teams Rodgers played after he joined. I'm more than happy with Rodgers, but I don't find Maguire central to our success personally. If the offer is huge and it means we get to strengthen other areas then you have to listen to it. 

Do you really think if we don’t sell Maguire there are no funds at all to spend this summer? Losing Maguire is pretty much a guarantee to reduce the quality of our first team. Yes we might be able to get a couple more squad players if we sold him, but I’m more keen on our starting eleven. 

If money is that tight, there are other players in the squad I would sell first, such as Gray who would command decent money. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Manini said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily people dismissing him. A lot of it is for the prices being quoted. I also don’t for one second reckon we wouldn’t miss him, we would, we’d be weaker without him, but sometimes you have to play backwards to go forwards and with that sort of money cashed in for him you could add serious quality. So it’s 6 and two 3’s in essence. I hope we keep him, but if the club decided to take a pragmatic approach I wouldn’t hound them for it. 

No me neither and presumably if they decide to let him go it will be because the player wants to go and the money is right. 

18 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Personally I think it’s more that we know we need to strengthen and don’t have all the money we need to do it. Harry is an asset we could sell that will bring in significant funds. I doubt in reality most people actually want him to go. I know I don’t. However, he brings in £70m+ then it is hard to knock back. 

Yes and part of me, despite my initial post, would probably drive him there for £70m. Its a difficult one and I think most of us recognise that its an equation with two parts - it adds up if what you bring in is collectively worth more than what you let go

20 hours ago, Viva said:

Do you really think if we don’t sell Maguire there are no funds at all to spend this summer? Losing Maguire is pretty much a guarantee to reduce the quality of our first team. Yes we might be able to get a couple more squad players if we sold him, but I’m more keen on our starting eleven. 

If money is that tight, there are other players in the squad I would sell first, such as Gray who would command decent money. 

I didn't say that, but if we're serious about even having a shot of the top 6 we need to realistically spend £80m in this market, or get very very lucky with your scouting and signings. We've usually had a max of about £40m to spend before signings and we're not racking up debt that needs servicing. So I can only go on what's come before and what's happening to guess what's to come. 

People said losing Mahrez would lower the quality of our team, but we swapped him effectively for Maddison and Ricardo and a few squad players that have IMO strengthened us. That's the same tactic you use with Maguire. What you lose in what place, you try and make up for elsewhere. So even if your centre back lets say is slightly worse, the CM and winger you sign are far better than what you could got before, so the aim is to increase the overall quality. 

Edited by Babylon

From all the mutterings it sounds like we have money to spend and strengthen anyway. I'm not overly keen for us to sell Maguire, not yet anyway. He'll still command a hefty price next year if he should desire to move on. Soyuncu and Benkovic are still young and will have to improve and be patient if Maguire stays. I'm excited to keep the core of the squad together and to see how much they can improve under Brendan and that includes Maguire. Some people say he's not vital but i really think a season with Evans along with his presence, confidence and ball playing abilities are going to be important for the brand of football we are wanting to play. I don't think that can be understated even if we do have two potential talents waiting in the wings.

If we do receive a massive offer and he openly states his desire to leave then that's another matter. But the club should try and keep him if they can. I'm a fan of the slabhead.

Edited by srex9
Grammar police

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I didn't say that, but if we're serious about even having a shot of the top 6 we need to realistically spend £80m in this market, or get very very lucky with your scouting and signings. We've usually had a max of about £40m to spend before signings and we're not racking up debt that needs servicing. So I can only go on what's come before and what's happening to guess what's to come. 

People said losing Mahrez would lower the quality of our team, but we swapped him effectively for Maddison and Ricardo and a few squad players that have IMO strengthened us. That's the same tactic you use with Maguire. What you lose in what place, you trying and make up for elsewhere. So even if your centre back lets say is slightly worse, the CM and winger you sign are far better than what you could have before, so the aim is to increase the overall quality. 

It’s not every season you find a Maddison or Pereira. More often than not, those £20m players don’t have the same impact on the first team. The difference also last season was that we was in desperate need of a right back and creative midfielder/ number 10. I don’t think the need is as urgent this season and I think we only possibly need one player for the first team, which is a Tielemans or similar player. 

36 minutes ago, Viva said:

It’s not every season you find a Maddison or Pereira. More often than not, those £20m players don’t have the same impact on the first team. The difference also last season was that we was in desperate need of a right back and creative midfielder/ number 10. I don’t think the need is as urgent this season and I think we only possibly need one player for the first team, which is a Tielemans or similar player. 

You don't think we need another striker?

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

How so, exactly?

If you need me to spell it out to you, we conceded once in the last three matches against tough opposition. What we did seven months ago under a different manager is irrelevant to my point. 

9 hours ago, Viva said:

If you need me to spell it out to you, we conceded once in the last three matches against tough opposition. What we did seven months ago under a different manager is irrelevant to my point. 

Ah, so we're just going to ignore all the other factors then, like how two of our last three games were against tired, injury ravaged B Teams (Chelsea and Arsenal) and that our defence was similarly resolute against Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City under Puel? Just because we performend well in some games with Maguire in them, doesn't mean he's the only factor at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Ah, so we're just going to ignore all the other factors then, like how two of our last three games were against tired, injury ravaged B Teams (Chelsea and Arsenal) and that our defence was similarly resolute against Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City under Puel? Just because we performend well in some games with Maguire in them, doesn't mean he's the only factor at all. 

I have never said he is the only factor. It’s the whole defensive unit. My point was about the recent record under Rodgers and the positive direction the team is going in now.

If you seriously think Soyuncu or Benkovic will just walk in and do the same job as a player that would probably get into any team in the league, then I think you are wrong.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Viva said:

I have never said he is the only factor. It’s the whole defensive unit. My point was about the recent record under Rodgers and the positive direction the team is going in now.

If you seriously think Soyuncu or Benkovic will just walk in and do the same job as a player that would probably get into any team in the league, then I think you are wrong.  

Benkovic has just been called up by the last World Cup finalists. This suggests he may get into some EPL Teams?  or have the Croatian FA have got it terribly wrong?

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Benkovic has just been called up by the last World Cup finalists. This suggests he may get into some EPL Teams?  or have the Croatian FA have got it terribly wrong?

He looks a good prospect and I hope he goes on to be a success with us. He needs to stay injury free though. 

There are far more questions against him though than a proven centre back who is one of the best in the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

He obviously rates Iheansnacho? 

Hes going to come good and be our main striker.

I have a good feeling about iheanacho.

I'm hoping it's much like the vardy situation when he first got to Leicester 

Edited by Fox85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1