Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

In fairness most of us know financially we couldn't hold a candle to them but it's not as if they are at the top of their game right now.

Up until 5 years ago a move to Utd was a no brainer but a move now whilst appealing in the short term could be disastrous for a player in the long term.

This is a club far removed from the days of Cantona, Schmeichel,Rooney, Ronaldo etc at this moment in time.

They will be back, by hook or by crook. It’ll all just be so typical of them. See my other reply above, personally I just can’t get mad about players wanting to go and play for clubs like United, Liverpool, Arsenal (Arsenal not as much, granted). They’re giants of English football and surely it what every player in the prem aspires to. 

I hope they go the way of Leeds. 

However they’ve been in the top 3 sides in terms of revenue since 2007. As a playing squad, they’re not what they were.

Edited by Sly

Maguire would deffo **** off to Man U if both clubs made a deal. 1000%. Even if they are a shitshow right now I think any player (outside top 6) would take the risk joining them. 

I'd hate if he went there though.

Edited by lgfualol

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

I hope they go the way of Leeds. 

You’ll be hoping for a while.

Maybe I’m being unreasonable. I just don’t think you can write of the draw of actually playing for a club like United. It’s something that none of us will ever have the option of doing, so none of us can say for sure. I just think for a player like Maguire, it could be his only chance to go and play for a genuinely massive club. 

Edited by Manini

22 minutes ago, Manini said:

They will be back, by hook or by crook. It’ll all just be so typical of them. See my other reply above, personally I just can’t get mad about players wanting to go and play for clubs like United, Liverpool, Arsenal (Arsenal not as much, granted). They’re giants of English football and surely it what every player in the prem aspires to. 

When a player committing his few and only peak years considers his options, he is looking at those few years, not a club’s history or distant prospects.  Man U remain the best-paying club -- but a club which cycles through unhappy players, has poor near-term CL prospects, and an untested manager not likely to last.  "Every player" does not aspire to that.

I believe players want some combination of the best paycheck, and best chance to (a) build their value and (b) compete for titles.  In the near future, Man U can out-compete several less "giant" clubs only on the paycheck front.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There are two very different arguments. Man U are huge and of course still have the draw we'll never have and can pay the money we never could. But they are also currently an utter shambles compared to what they were and there are far more attractive clubs out there in a footballing sense, if you take the emotion and the money out of playing for a huge club. Liverpool and Man City are currently an absolute mile ahead of them in terms of position, how they are run and what their futures look like. 

For me there is no end in sight for Man U, their current tactic looks nothing more than a panic reaction to smart scouting of other teams, and clubs giving young players a chance. Ole will fail and there is no chance they are going to give championship players and these youngsters the chances they need to grow and progress. The manager will get sacked, a big name will come in and demand big layers and around they go in circles. 

"Biggest club in the world" and they have Ole has manager, a failure at Cardiff and are signing championship wingers with fairly poor stats. As a player I'd think long and hard about going there and choosing another club that's not a basket case, where you'll get the time you need to grow and open doors to clubs who are being run properly. 

Agreed. It took Liverpool like 5/6+ seasons to get their club in order. United don't have the stomach for that even though they have twice the money.

They can't even set up a proper business structure. Its going to take them years to get their shit together even if they make all the right moves.

The only way that's happening is if they hire a top notch DOF and let him set up the football side of things. Woodward needs to stay in the office with the ad and promotion(money).

Its an absolute forest fire there now in terms of the cash they burn year in and year out with nothing to show for it. It's criminal(?) what's happening there now.

Maybe you should apply for the job. Clean the place up a bit.:ph34r:

Man utd vs Leicester no comparison.  Even in their current state it will be more desirable to play for them.

The only reason a player would say no in my opinion is if they hate the club or they feel another big club (which is in a better state) will come in for them so they can get a better move.  However if the player isnt aware of any interest from other big clubs I think 9 times out of 10 they would want to join Man utd.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KingsX said:

When a player committing his few and only peak years considers his options, he is looking at those few years, not a club’s history or distant prospects.  Man U remain the best-paying club -- but a club which cycles through unhappy players, has poor near-term CL prospects, and an untested manager not likely to last.  "Every player" does not aspire to that.

I believe players want some combination of the best paycheck, and best chance to (a) build their value and (b) compete for titles.  In the near future, Man U can out-compete several less "giant" clubs only on the paycheck front.

You have to wonder. How much is enough? When does Quality of experience matter more than quantity of money? These guys put so much work into getting to be where they are

that you'd think that time is the most valuable commodity they have. Now I'm thinking like an old man.:)

6 hours ago, KingsX said:

That may take this month's @fuchsntf Ellipsis Award for most convoluted post.  I figured it out on the third reading -- a sound enough take.

Short and sweet last paragraph though.  Had to plus you for that  :thumbup:

:frantics:.....

• Haha 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151851/Manchester-United-offer-Andres-Pereira-Leicester-try-lower-Harry-Maguire-price.html

Manchester United 'to offer Andreas Pereira to Leicester' to try and lower £90m valuation of Harry Maguire 

whats he worth tho

Edit

10m on transfermarket site

not really gonna make a dent in £90m

Edited by HankMarvin

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

There are two very different arguments. Man U are huge and of course still have the draw we'll never have and can pay the money we never could. But they are also currently an utter shambles compared to what they were and there are far more attractive clubs out there in a footballing sense, if you take the emotion and the money out of playing for a huge club. Liverpool and Man City are currently an absolute mile ahead of them in terms of position, how they are run and what their futures look like. 

For me there is no end in sight for Man U, their current tactic looks nothing more than a panic reaction to smart scouting of other teams, and clubs giving young players a chance. Ole will fail and there is no chance they are going to give championship players and these youngsters the chances they need to grow and progress. The manager will get sacked, a big name will come in and demand big layers and around they go in circles. 

"Biggest club in the world" and they have Ole has manager, a failure at Cardiff and are signing championship wingers with fairly poor stats. As a player I'd think long and hard about going there and choosing another club that's not a basket case, where you'll get the time you need to grow and open doors to clubs who are being run properly. 

It`s not often you and me agree on anything, but i think you`re absolutely spot on, i couldn`t have put it better myself.

Not having it that United are the biggest club in the world. They might sell the most shirts in Asia (probably) but there’s a reason every big premier league club - including them -  will likely get their best players pinched by Real or Barca eventually. Madrid are the biggest club in the world by a distance imo and have the extra 10 European cups to prove it. United being the biggest club in the world is another myth perpetuated by sky sports/the premier league for me.

If they cough up the right money they could knick any player they wanted off us mind you. I can’t stand them after growing up surrounded by glory hunting tossers but i’d jump at the chance if I was at a mid table club and they came knocking, even now. Saying that, I also don’t think we’re your regular ‘midtable’ club.

The shambles they’re currently in MAY persuade the younger lads to ply their trade here - in a positive environment - a little while longer. And without any LCFC bias, it’d make sense if for now they did.

But i’d never blame a Leicester player for wanting to go there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151851/Manchester-United-offer-Andres-Pereira-Leicester-try-lower-Harry-Maguire-price.html

Manchester United 'to offer Andreas Pereira to Leicester' to try and lower £90m valuation of Harry Maguire 

whats he worth tho

Edit

10m on transfermarket site

not really gonna make a dent in £90m

Considering the Sun said it would be a season long loan I have no idea how they conclude it would bring the price down!!!

11 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Harry would leave for city but to go United would be a sidestep. Ugly football club 

oh come off it.  

playing infront of 67,000 fans and wages of 350k a week would not be a sideways move, no matter how badly they did last season..

I'd take pereira as think he could become a good player with the right coach. The sun article earlier this year said that it would be 15m to buy if he didn't sign a new contract or loan if he did, so presume it would still be 75 plus pereira. Presume if we went for this, we wouldn't need to go for mgregor with that money being used towards the youri deal. 

Just now, North Leeds Fox said:

I'd take pereira as think he could become a good player with the right coach. The sun article earlier this year said that it would be 15m to buy if he didn't sign a new contract or loan if he did, so presume it would still be 75 plus pereira. Presume if we went for this, we wouldn't need to go for mgregor with that money being used towards the youri deal. 

Yes, I thought this too. Only reservation is if Periera is actually any good and not just hype!

Sidestep, LOL.

They're Man U.  On their worst day they're a pretty safe bet for the CL, and the most famous (and rich) club in England.  Whatever issues they're having at the moment won't change that.  That's not to say there are't valid reasons to prefer someone like Leicester, given a player's personal situation,  But to suggest it's a lateral move is just silly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Sidestep, LOL.

They're Man U.  On their worst day they're a pretty safe bet for the CL, and the most famous (and rich) club in England.  Whatever issues they're having at the moment won't change that.  That's not to say there are't valid reasons to prefer someone like Leicester, given a player's personal situation,  But to suggest it's a lateral move is just silly.

But as a player, you can see a world cup winner play there, have a pretty good season, but get absolutely abused by the fans....

Generally our signings of ex Man United players have been great, Savage, James, Drinkwater, Evans even De Laat (Sure there are more) playing for us is less pressured than United.....even Powell, Lawrence have continued their career in the Championship......They usually sign good footballers, butdon’t get the best from them over the last 5 years

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

But as a player, you can see a world cup winner play there, have a pretty good season, but get absolutely abused by the fans....

Not like we're much better. Everyone has abused our league winners at some point, few bad games and Maguire will probably get booed like Nacho.

• Like 1