Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree, "most", but not all. And the fact that it has got worse is a sad indictment on contemporary support.  - He deserved an original as opposed to an piss poor adaptation of "Nuno's Dream". 

 

 

What the **** is Nuno's dream?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Markyblue
14 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yeah - embarrassing innit?

Really,  its all ready been said at least 2/3 teams had it before wolves, it was sung with love and affection by the whole stadium,  why don't you give it a rest or maybe spend your time writing a song

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

No it isn't even vaguely embarrassing and if you feel embarrassment for it, I can assure you it says far more about you than the 32k singing. 

 

Why? Embarrassment is subjective. No need to make a character judgement based upon the fact that I find it cringeworthy that we are prone to steal other supporters chants? I simply suggested that it would have been preferable to have an original in remembrance of our former chairman. Even worse- Watford started singing it at Christmas. I also find the "We love you, we love you, we love you" chant that came to every ground in the country from the St.Pauli ultras via Scotland and Sellhurst Park profoundly embarrassing. Is that ok?

 

Personally, I like "When you're smiling" - it used to sound great in the Pen 2 and away when it was sung properly. You evidently don't and have decreed that it "is fundamentally shit" and that the only ones that do sing it "do so because they're desperate for us to have something vaguely traditional in our song book out of envy for clubs that do." In respect of the latter, you may well have a point - but many would disagree with your assessment of "we only love the boy's in blue" but I absolutely understand your points.

 

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But every ****ing club in the English speaking world sings about five different chants to different parts of Sloop John B, nobody owns it, its not unique or special, its just a decent melody that it's easy to stick words to. 

 

Absolutely. The obligatory 'Sloop John B' has been used to express everything from Jason Puncheon going for a shit to the ridiculous "Leicester City we're coming for you" (which of course it transpired, they actually weren't) and perhaps most excruciatingly "champions of England, you'll never sing that" ...directed at Derby County.

 

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

Any fan that claims their club invented or owns any SJB chant and accuses other supporters of "copying them" on social media is the most massive of massive melts and deserves to be ridiculed until they quit the Internet forever. 

Possibly - ultimately it's just a football chant. The fact that I find "Vichai's Dream" embarrassing is similarly inconsequential and nothing to overreact about. I thought the same about the Cambiasso/Carrick song.

 

It is very shit though.

 

25 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Really,  its all ready been said at least 2/3 teams had it before wolves, it was sung with love and affection by the whole stadium,  why don't you give it a rest or maybe spend your time writing a song

If I did, I very much doubt that it would catch on. 

 

It was indeed sung with "love and affection" and that was wonderful. There is no need though for such outrage and indignation at the suggestion that an original would have been better - particularly given the similarity to the previous iterations. If that offends you - I apologise. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

No it isn't even vaguely embarrassing and if you feel embarrassment for it, I can assure you it says far more about you than the 32k singing. 

 

There's a few songs (YNWA, Sunshine on Leith, Lord's My Shepherd, etc) that are very unique and very specific to a club and obviously we'd be weird if we started singing them. 

 

But every ****ing club in the English speaking world sings about five different chants to different parts of Sloop John B, nobody owns it, its not unique or special, its just a decent melody that it's easy to stick words to. 

 

Any fan that claims their club invented or owns any SJB chant and accuses other supporters of "copying them" on social media is the most massive of massive melts and deserves to be ridiculed until they quit the Internet forever. 

 

This sums up my thoughts exactly! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Why? Embarrassment is subjective. No need to make a character judgement based upon the fact that I find it cringeworthy that we are prone to steal other supporters chants? I simply suggested that it would have been preferable to have an original in remembrance of our former chairman. Even worse- Watford started singing it at Christmas. I also find the "We love you, we love you, we love you" chant that came to every ground in the country from the St.Pauli ultras via Scotland and Sellhurst Park profoundly embarrassing. Is that ok?

 

Personally, I like "When you're smiling" - it used to sound great in the Pen 2 and away when it was sung properly. You evidently don't and have decreed that it "is fundamentally shit" and that the only ones that do sing it "do so because they're desperate for us to have something vaguely traditional in our song book out of envy for clubs that do." In respect of the latter, you may well have a point - but many would disagree with your assessment of "we only love the boy's in blue" but I absolutely understand your points.

 

Absolutely. The obligatory 'Sloop John B' has been used to express everything from Jason Puncheon going for a shit to the ridiculous "Leicester City we're coming for you" (which of course it transpired, they actually weren't) and perhaps most excruciatingly "champions of England, you'll never sing that" ...directed at Derby County.

 

Possibly - ultimately it's just a football chant. The fact that I find "Vichai's Dream" embarrassing is similarly inconsequential and nothing to overreact about. I thought the same about the Cambiasso/Carrick song.

 

It is very shit though.

 

If I did, I very much doubt that it would catch on. 

 

It was indeed sung with "love and affection" and that was wonderful. There is no need though for such outrage and indignation at the suggestion that an original would have been better - particularly given the similarity to the previous iterations. If that offends you - I apologise. 

 

You have not offended me at all, you are entitled to your opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jet-plane said:

Not sure if a coincidence, but owners ran their horse called “Good Birthday” today.

 

absolutely bolted up at 7-2!

Fox Champion as well. Had the double. Lovely stuff 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

 

There's a few songs (YNWA, Sunshine on Leith, Lord's My Shepherd, etc) that are very unique and very specific to a club and obviously we'd be weird if we started singing them. 

 

I'm guessing that you didn't frequent the Filbo Pens in the 70's ?? :D Every club sang that, scarves above the head, the lot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

If one thread sustain a degree of unity on FT it, it should be this one…

 

it was was one of the most memorable moments for me to be a City fan and I’ve seen us beat Palace with a last minute shinner, raise the PL trophy and I sang my heart out at Cardiff…

 

i was hugely proud to be a Leicester fan and didn’t give a second to think of how original our song was and whether we should use clapper banners…

 

i watched rhe sky extended coverage and seeing Top stand and clap with (with his clapper banner) visibily moved by our fans tribute to his Dad was extremely moving…. We shared our love and if that brought him a crumb of comfort, I’d take great heart from that…

:appl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

the tune in question isn’t one which is ‘owned’ by any club

 

if we start singing about having Brendan at the wheel then I will have a strong view! 

 

coming up with an entirely new chant tune that loads  the hang of quickly  isn’t so easy ........ unless you get plenty singing it then it’s likely not to catch on .....

 

good job yesterday......proud of all those singing and clapping along ....... my little bugbear being the disappearance of 60% of you before the players have had time to shake hands with the opposition and then thank you !   If we are trying to get Youri to stay then reminding him how empty Monaco’s stadium is won’t help!  Now we have two evening kick offs, not hanging around at the end is excusable so yesterday was an opportunity on the back of a win to send a message .........

hey ho ........

Edited by st albans fox
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Line-X said:

It was indeed sung with "love and affection" and that was wonderful. There is no need though for such outrage and indignation at the suggestion that an original would have been better - particularly given the similarity to the previous iterations. If that offends you - I apologise. 

It's not really outrage and indignation, is it? It's just a bit odd that one of your main takeaways from the tribute is that it was so embarrassing because we sang a song to a tune that fans from other teams also use. "Nicked from Wolves" - Nuno's been there a couple of years, it's not like we've made off with their family heirloom is it? You'd be better off saving yourself the headache and just enjoying our fans singing together noisily and passionately, rather than cringing to yourself because it's all so unoriginal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guest said:

It's not really outrage and indignation, is it? .

You mean it's fake?

 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

It's just a bit odd that one of your main takeaways from the tribute is that it was so embarrassing because we sang a song to a tune that fans from other teams also use. 

That wasn't "one of my main takeaways" - you simply assumed that.

 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

 is that it was so embarrassing because we sang a song to a tune that fans from other teams also use.

That's not what I said, The tune is irrelevant - and as pointed our earlier in this thread is sung by every team's supporters in country.  The words on the other hand are a badly and crassly adapted rendition of  "Nuno's Dream".

 

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

if we start singing about having Brendan at the wheel then I will have a strong view! 

 

I look forward to seeing it when we inevitably do - which is precisely my point.

 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

 "Nicked from Wolves" - Nuno's been there a couple of years,

What's your point?

 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

it's not like we've made off with their family heirloom is it? 

No, and again I'm not suggesting anything of the sort - rather we "made off" with a very crap chant which we then supplanted even worse words to. It's Leicester, it's what we usually do.

 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

You'd be better off saving yourself the headache and just enjoying our fans singing together noisily and passionately, rather than cringing to yourself because it's all so unoriginal.

Perhaps you're right - although I believe that the man deserved better, that's all.

 

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Imagine finding something to moan about when it comes to paying tribute to Vichai, especially when it was done so well yesterday. Weird. 

It wasn't a "moan" and was not meant to come across like that - sorry. In hindsight this should have remained on the post match threads and "unpopular opinions that you hold" where it received no objections, as opposed to tainting a tribute thread which was perhaps insensitive given the context and certainly not the intent. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...