Jump to content
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

What makes you think it was the gender of the ref? 

 

I never said that it was the gender of the ref that was the reason for the error, you idiot. I said that the circumstances demanded that VAR did not want to overrule or embarrass her. That's where the fault/blame lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

No as in if the VAR can't tell the official has mad a clear and obvious error it won't intervene. 

Maybe I am overthinking it. I just believed that if VAR is to be used, it should, regardless of the ref. When we have seen VAR used for half a toenail offside (not clear and obvious) then surely they should use it for that incident. Its not consistent and appeared to favour tonight's ref, which makes you speculate the reason (I.e. First female ref in a Men's cup final)

 

Either way, it just adds more scrutiny on VAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

VAR official must have felt there wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Irrespective of the Ref’s gender, what exactly makes an error ‘clear and obvious’?- not trying to be a d**k but just genuinely interested in broaching the question!

 

I think in the case of penalties, clear and obvious seems to imply that there is something objectively wrong with the referees call, something that VAR would either definitely or likely overturn. I think if almost no one thinks it’s a penalty, then that’s probably a good indication that it’s close to being objectively wrong with regards to the interpretation of the rules on penalties, and I would take it to be a potentially clear and obvious error concerning a game changing decision. Both me and my girlfriend were almost shocked that it didn’t go to VAR. Very unusual to not even get a prompt to check it, given that it really did not look like a pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can’t ever remember a team playing extra time and then not playing well the next match because of it. they’re pro footballers, an extra thirty minutes of what is essentially walking round is not gonna suddenly turn them from chelsea players to coventry players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I know it’s assisted us with the Chelsea but find  it bizarre Liverpool will be playing again on Saturday, 3pm. Surely would have made sense for the Chelsea and Liverpool games being both Sunday.

 

Similarly I’m not sure if Wolves will be happy playing Monday night to then play Thursday in Turin. Their players will literally have recovery Tuesday and then off on a plane for Wednesday. With Wolves having their home

leg on Thursday, a Sunday afternoon kick off makes.

Yes I'd much rather we played Sunday instead of Monday. You sell your soul to the TV companies though, and they don't give a damn. 

 

Oh and I agree, VAR didn't want to over-rule that pen and make it high profile because it's an all woman officiating team. 

Edited by The Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hammo said:

But he is right. Abraham dived, Adrian didn't touch him, the ref got it wrong but because VAR didn't want to overrule or embarrass her on her big night, political correctness ruled and the wrong decision remained. QED.

 

6 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I never said that it was the gender of the ref that was the reason for the error, you idiot. I said that the circumstances demanded that VAR did not want to overrule or embarrass her. That's where the fault/blame lies.

Therefore you're saying the decision wasn't changed due to her gender? 

 

That's complete bullshit mate. They've shown us the angles and you can't clearly and obviously see there was no contact. The angle BT showed that VAR doesn't have, it does show that she was wrong.

 

But w/e the decision was wrong and it just shows the system needs a rework 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Apparently VAR did look at it though. 

Knows better not to question a women's decision though!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UniFox21 said:

 

Therefore you're saying the decision wasn't changed due to her gender? 

 

That's complete bullshit mate. They've shown us the angles and you can't clearly and obviously see there was no contact. The angle BT showed that VAR doesn't have, it does show that she was wrong.

It is amazing how TV cameras  have more views to show us lot on the sofa causing these debates, but the actual officials whose job it is to make sure the game is completely fairly and lawfully have limited views. 

 

VAR clearly isn't efficient in its current state. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Written all over his face. Can't blame him, so much pressure for a young lad. 

 

More importantly, they played 120 minutes and lost. 

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

Irrespective of the Ref’s gender, what exactly makes an error ‘clear and obvious’?- not trying to be a d**k but just genuinely interested in broaching the question!

 

I think in the case of penalties, clear and obvious seems to imply that there is something objectively wrong with the referees call, something that VAR would either definitely or likely overturn. I think if almost no one thinks it’s a penalty, then that’s probably a good indication that it’s close to being objectively wrong with regards to the interpretation of the rules on penalties, and I would take it to be a potentially clear and obvious error concerning a game changing decision. Both me and my girlfriend were almost shocked that it didn’t go to VAR. Very unusual to not even get a prompt to check it, given that it really did not look like a pen.

I think it means that if on replay of the event, the officials go "Yeah they've got that wrong" then the decision is flagged for review. 

 

As far as I'm aware it was reviewed as didn't she make the VAR symbol? Think this whole thing just highlights errors in the system that need fixing before a high profile game is buggered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

It is amazing how TV cameras  have more views to show us lot on the sofa causing these debates, but the actual officials whose job it is to make sure the game is completely fairly and lawfully have limited views. 

 

VAR clearly isn't efficient in its current state. 

Fully agree.

The fact they have an additional view to the people making the actual decisions is bonkers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

 

Therefore you're saying the decision wasn't changed due to her gender? 

 

That's complete bullshit mate. They've shown us the angles and you can't clearly and obviously see there was no contact. The angle BT showed that VAR doesn't have, it does show that she was wrong.

 

But w/e the decision was wrong and it just shows the system needs a rework 

You clearly wish to pursue an agenda. I just want fair play and justice - which fortunately occurred in a rather apt and poetic way when Adrian saved Abraham's penalty.

 

And no, I don't support Liverpool. Perish the thought!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...